Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for Bikini Top for a 2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for Bikini Top for a 2A
    Posted: 26 May 2009 at 2:07am
Does anyone have suggestions on who might be selling Bikini Tops for CJ2As these days?

Thanks,
Gary Hoffman
GaryH
bob777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2009 at 12:09am
Gary,

I was waiting for someone else to pipe up about bikinis. My experience:

I missed out on the Reedkinis so went with Monas (Nulife Canvas) bikini which is supposed to fit over a after market rollbar. Received it, good quality but it didn't fit .  .  .  too long from W/S to roll bar . . . tried to use my after market top bow, that was better but the bar wouldn't stay in place and I had severe buffeting of the windshield. Next was to buy a front top bow with the brace from the W/S to the bow. That solved the buffeting but the bikini is still too long. It is functional (pleases my bride) but dosen't fit as it should.

If I were to do it again I would

1) jump on Trader Reeds deal and failing that

2) buy the front top bow from Top Bows Inc and

3) order a bikini from Nulife Canvas with the "break" at the top bow.

I'm confident Nulife could make it correctly as Mona makes complete original canvas for the 2As.

Hope this helps.

Bob
Bob '48 CJ2A 162153
Bantam TC-3 406
http://picasaweb.google.com/home
GaryH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2009 at 5:06am
Bob:

Thanks;  any contact info for TGrader Reeds? 

Gary
GaryH
westforkboyd View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2009 at 1:59pm
Hi Gary

I don't think TR is still making the Reedkini any more. You could PM him and ask. They are real nice. That's where I got the one on Lefty you saw last fall. The problem is finding one that uses the common sense fasteners along the top of the windshield. Can't remember if you have them or not. Some offer a top that uses a bar added to the windshield. 

Here's a site that claims to have a bikini for the CJ2A. I couldn't get the link to work directly to the top but if you type "bikini top" in the site search on their page they say they offer one for $70 something. Their item number is 102-050-01 black or white. You could call them and get the details.

WFB
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
'55 Oliver Super 55 Ollybelle
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2009 at 2:02pm
Trader reed is here on the members list.  He moved over the pond but you can pm him
Also to see his work
Ed
cj2a lefty
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2009 at 10:15pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
trader_reed View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2009 at 10:20pm
Sorry guys while I still own my CJ2A and love them, I've moved on to Ireland and stopped making them. I see all the interest so maybe when I go back to the States I might mae a few to calm you guys down. Hows everyones top doing? and wear or torn seams?

Matt

Maker of the Reedkini
ndrtkr View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndrtkr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2009 at 10:36pm
Wish someone would loan me one of TR's tops for a few days
so that I could duplicate it!
GaryH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2009 at 11:07pm
Thanks WFB;  your Bikini top is what got me thinking and posting this thread.  Certainly was a lot easier to put up in a light rain that the whole top.  It also looked cooler than puting up the top, and me & the sun don't get along as well as we once did.

I hope "lefty" is doing well.  My Jeep is still running great (although I have been spending a lot of time with my V8 mid-engine Corvair for the last month).  Hope to see you guys soon.  I will call the number you suggested on Monday.

Gary

p.s.  Thanks to everyone for responding!
p.s. 
GaryH
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2009 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by ndrtkr ndrtkr wrote:

Wish someone would loan me one of TR's tops for a few days
so that I could duplicate it!

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2009 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by trader_reed trader_reed wrote:

Hows everyones top doing? and wear or torn seams?
I had mine on today.  It went from rain to sun today.  The Reedikini is both waterproof and sun proof.  I drove about 100 miles.  This is the third time I have driven my jeep in a good solid rain with nothing but a Reedikini for shelter.Thumbs Up
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

westforkboyd View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2009 at 2:10am
Hey TR!

My top is holding up famously! It gets used regularly for rain occasioally but more often as  Jeff said for the shade. We've had many compliments on the look. You really made a great one of a kind top.

I'll start a list for you............then you'll be commited.Big smile

Gary H
Westforkboyd.. (I'd take a second one)
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
'55 Oliver Super 55 Ollybelle
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2009 at 9:16am
I could have had a booth at the reunion and sold the Reedkini...Hmmm might be an excuse to go next year!!!!
Maker of the Reedkini
Ritt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2009 at 10:02am
Matt,

Also start a running list serveral months in advance plus a few axtras.
Maybe look at Mexico or China as  a manufacturer............Wink
Rit

1948 2A,

"RAISIN COOKIES THAT LOOK LIKE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES ARE THE MAIN REASON I HAVE TRUST ISSUES"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2009 at 5:42pm
The only disadvantage I find to having a top on your jeep (of any kind) is that it holds in noises.  It's much easier to talk to your co-pilot when you are not sporting a top.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

GaryH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2009 at 1:53am
Matt:

As Alan said, I am on your list (would love a white one, but would take a black one).  Alan's endorsement is enough for me!

Alan;  I tried the vintage jeeps you suggested, and they said their supplier had moved out of the States, and it would be awhile before they got any more (sound familiar Matt?).

I went to Mile Hi Jeep (here in Denver), and they said no one is making them now.

Matt, we need you!!!  Guess I will just roll up the sides and back of the Kayline top for shade this summer (or will just wear a big old floppy hat and lots of sunblock).

Gary Hoffman
GaryH
Rob H. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2009 at 2:07am
Having driven mine with a top and topless on the road, I like topless better, like jpet says it holds in the noise not to mentionthe wind it catches. I would love to have a bikini top for trail riding though. Mine has a Bestop on it, with the aluminum bracktet screwed to the windshield frame. I've been think of just buying a small canvas tarp and altering it into a bikini top.
Rob H.

1948 CJ2A
bits and pieces of three 3A's
1967-72 Chevy C/10 kinda combined them LOL

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2009 at 7:20pm
OK I hear you loud and clear! I'm back in the States in Aug or Sept and see if I can sort something out. They would be Reedkini's and they only fit original bows and 1/4 turn fasteners on the windshield.
Maker of the Reedkini
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>