Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine ID tags 1947 CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flaminiasupersport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine ID tags 1947 CJ2A
    Posted: 24 June 2009 at 7:48am
Hello everyone! I'm slowly rebuilding my CJ2A and soon I'll have to order a new piston and ring set. Now I have this little tag on the lower side of the engine... It has already been rebuilt or what? Can someone shed some light on this tag and engine number Tongue ?

This Jeep is a1947 model. I've completely dismantled it and have already rebuilt the gearbox, chassis, suspension and now I'm working on the brakes. It has been used as a tow car by the Belgian Lancia & Maserati importer in Brussels.

bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2009 at 8:47am
That's a rebuild tag I've not seen before, but I'd say it's definitely had at least oversized pistons put in at that point. Because you will have to order parts from a great distance, it would probably be better to have your machine shop measure everything first before ordering parts to avoid having to order parts twice. It's possible the engine has been rebuilt since that tag was installed. Looks like you have a good start on everything already, welcome.

Edited by bkreutz - 24 June 2009 at 8:48am
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
Flaminiasupersport View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flaminiasupersport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2009 at 9:45am
Thanks! I didn't think of that... that the engine could have been rebuilt several times without the tag being "updated"! Thumbs Up
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2009 at 12:35pm
Welcome !!!   very nice project :)  and original canvas also :)  nice find....great attention to detail in your work....

i would be interested in knowing the casting numbers on the block under the tag....the block presents some strange looking casting details....

Edited by lowenuf - 24 June 2009 at 12:38pm
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2009 at 2:04pm
Can you tell what the date of overhaul is? I can't quite read it in your picture. I wonder if it is a WWII engine, looks like the army depot rebuild tags, sorta.

It is good to see another purple 47 getting back to a normal color..

Edited by F Bill - 24 June 2009 at 2:07pm
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flaminiasupersport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2009 at 8:14am
Oh no... what have I done!!! I didn't think that canvas was worth saving Wacko I hope I stored it away somewhere....

I'll move the Jeep in my new garage this weekend and I'll take some close-up pictures of this overhaul tag and engine castings. (And I'll search like hell to find the canvas top...)

Thanks to all for the nice comments. I'll post pics soon.
47goDevil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47goDevil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2009 at 2:55am
WoW!
 Nice work . very impressive . watch out for poison ivy . 
Cammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2009 at 11:05am
Welcome to the site!

Rule of thumb - don't throw ANYTHING away until the project is completely done.  Hopefully you will find that canvas.  Smile

My Email

CJ-2a #108844 ACM #97951

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flaminiasupersport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2009 at 1:31pm
I found the Canvas doors but they're in a very poor condition. This weekend I took some pics of my Jeep. As it stands now the tub is temprarely on the chassis again (to gain space). I noticed it's going to be a hell of a job to bolt it on. Some holes are in line, and some others don't... how can this be? I haven't been welding or anything! I guess I'll have to lift one side of the frame to "move" and "twist" it a bit.  But that's for later as I need to deal with some other points first.

I'd like to know the following...

1. Are the small lights that come from the grill (pictured on the fender) original ones?
2. Is that chrome sidelight on the fender original?
3. Are some taillights you see original and where can I buy the correct ones?
4. Is the "Willys" script on the sides of the hood always painted white?
5. Check the leaning... why are my leafspring brackets positioned differently?
6. The seats are grey (canvas?) and the cushions have springs in them. Who sells this?

I did some research and it appears that these Jeeps were built under licence here in Belgium!!! There was a factory not far from Brussels where the 2A's were assembled. I'm not very familiar yet with these Jeeps (used to play with classic Lancia's before) and I'll buy some books to learn more about them.

I called the engine shop today. I'll let you know the verdict soon!

Cammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2009 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Flaminiasupersport Flaminiasupersport wrote:

I found the Canvas doors but they're in a very poor condition. This weekend I took some pics of my Jeep. As it stands now the tub is temprarely on the chassis again (to gain space). I noticed it's going to be a hell of a job to bolt it on. Some holes are in line, and some others don't... how can this be? I haven't been welding or anything! I guess I'll have to lift one side of the frame to "move" and "twist" it a bit.  But that's for later as I need to deal with some other points first.

I'd like to know the following...

1. Are the small lights that come from the grill (pictured on the fender) original ones?
2. Is that chrome sidelight on the fender original?
3. Are some taillights you see original and where can I buy the correct ones?
4. Is the "Willys" script on the sides of the hood always painted white?
5. Check the leaning... why are my leafspring brackets positioned differently?
6. The seats are grey (canvas?) and the cushions have springs in them. Who sells this?

I did some research and it appears that these Jeeps were built under licence here in Belgium!!! There was a factory not far from Brussels where the 2A's were assembled. I'm not very familiar yet with these Jeeps (used to play with classic Lancia's before) and I'll buy some books to learn more about them.

Keep the canvas doors - the metal frames/hardware can be restored and the original canvas can be used as a pattern.

It is likely that after many years of use and abuse the frame and body have all been slightly bent/twisted with only the bolts holding things in place.  When you unbolted everything the stress was relieved and the metal parts moved slightly.  Bolting it all back together will take some time and you may have to tweak a few things to get it lined up.  It is helpful to not tighten any bolts until all the bolts are in place.

1 & 2 - The small lights on the grill are not original to jeeps built in the USA.  But if this is a Belgian jeep then I cannot say for certain.  There may have been different vehicle lighting requirements.  The chrome light on the fender is also not original to USA built jeeps.

3 - None of the tail lights appear original.  This is typical for these old jeeps.  It is incredibly rare to find a CJ-2a with original tail lights.  The tail lights themselves are nearly impossible to find.  Reproductions are available from several sources in the USA.  The large left tail light on your jeep appears to be a military design.  A right handed tail light was an uncommon option on these.  They came with only the left tail light from the factory.

4 - The answer to this is a definite "probably."  There is evidence to indicate that the WILLYS stamping on the hood and tail gate was painted white, but the WILLYS stamping on the windshield was left body color. 

5 - It appears that your right rear leaf spring is flattened out.  You can have your springs re-arched, or replaced.  The reproduction springs are not quite the same, but acceptable for a non-museum grade restoration.  The C-shackles and brackets look like they are in good position.  What are you seeing as different?

6 - You are fortunate to have the original seats and upholstery.  There are many suppliers that sell replacement canvas and padding.  WeeBee Webbing and Beachwood Canvas both have excellent reputations here in the USA.

Play by FoxSaver®

My Email

CJ-2a #108844 ACM #97951

Post Reply Post Reply