Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clutch/Transmission Problem?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
JohnPiep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnPiep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clutch/Transmission Problem?
    Posted: 17 July 2009 at 4:47pm
Thanks, Bk for the response. I think this might be my problem. It seems to occur when I have
driven the Jeep for a while and the engine/transmission has reached normal operating temp.
When cold, no noise. I was told by mechanic that the emerg brake cable needs to be replaced
due to stretching/chafing. Perhaps when he tried to tighten it, the brake shoes in the drum are
not releasing completely, causing drag and the chattering.
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2009 at 4:37pm
I had a similar noise a while back, drove me nuts until I found that I had the park brake adjusted a bit too tight, apparently it was dragging a little bit and would expand causing the noise (it sounded a lot like a chipped gear). Loosened them up a bit and the noise went away. I suspect that the dragging brake was not the source of the noise, but with the bit of drag, and maybe the park brake drum is not exactly true, when coasting without a load on the driveline, the noise was coming from the trans or diff as the load on the driveshaft changed. I was happy with that (I had visions of a trans rebuildOuch) Hope this is the same in your case. 

Edited by bkreutz - 17 July 2009 at 4:45pm
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
JohnPiep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnPiep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2009 at 4:34pm
I own a '47 CJ2A that is starting to have problems when coasting to a stop. If I take the Jeep out of gear and coast to a stop I'm hearing clunking/chattering sounds. Shifts fine through the gears
and have no other noises when driving. Any ideas?  Thanks, John
 Post Reply Post Reply