Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Emergency Brake parts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamstewart_236 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Emergency Brake parts
    Posted: 23 July 2009 at 2:09am
I am in the process of repairing the emergency brake on a '47 CJ2A. It was in loose pieces when I removed the drum. I do believe everything is there save the bolt/stud opposite the adjuster screws on the backing plate (hoping I can find a substitute fir it). But I would appreciate direction to some photos to try and put this back together. This 2 1/2 month project (so far) started as a simple plan to replace clutch and pressure plate.
WFS
AlaskaCJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlaskaCJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2009 at 6:02am
Maybe these will help.

48 CJ2A 212561
President, Alaska chapter of the IFFC

williamstewart_236 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamstewart_236 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2009 at 2:05pm
Exactly what I needed! Thanks. I can see I am missing parts. I have ordered the springs but am missing bolt to right hand side of your pic. I do have the cam lever. Does this act as the fulcrum/cam or is it a "special" bolt and cam? I am hoping I can place a suitably sized bolt here but will have to try and fabricate the "covering plate" over the spring. Neither are anywhere to be found. Shoes were dangling and worn to the metal. Drum seems to be OK. Had the Willys since age 13, now 55yo. Never had a working emergency brake. Thanks again for the pictures. A really big help.
WFS
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2009 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by williamstewart_236 williamstewart_236 wrote:

... am missing bolt to right hand side of your pic. I do have the cam lever. Does this act as the fulcrum/cam or is it a "special" bolt and cam? ...
Perhaps it's the operating link?

Hand Brake Link

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamstewart_236 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2009 at 3:58pm
I have the "cam lever", springs, and adjuster is still attached. I am missing the bolt/post that is the pivot point for shoes/braking. Sorry I do not know enough terminology to give an adejuate description. But it is where the actuating lever attaches. I need to find out if a round bolt of appropriate size will sub here or if there is another cam mechanism besides the lever. Hope that makes some sense. Otherwise I believe most all parts are there or obtainable. And thanks for moving the post!
WFS
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2009 at 4:17pm
Hmm, when you referenced the "bolt to the right hand side of the pic", that's the only thing I see.

If you can you post of photo of the parts you do have, we can tell what's missing.  Or pick the parts from this diagram?

Sean
buckshot View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2009 at 4:51pm
Sean,
Thanks for posting the brake diagram. My '46 is missing the entire assembly!
Now I know where to start.

Brian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamstewart_236 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2009 at 5:06pm
Actually it is the only part not numbered. (a bad sign huh?). It is the inferior/6 o'clock retaining plate for the spring and the stud/bolt holding the shoes opposite to the adjuster. And thanks for your patience with this. Can you clue me in on how to post a picture?
WFS
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2009 at 5:41pm

Actually it is the only part not numbered. (a bad sign huh?). It is the inferior/6 o'clock retaining plate for the spring and the stud/bolt holding the shoes opposite to the adjuster.
OK, I think I got it.  The piece at 9:00 O'clock in this photo? (click to enlarge)  That's not a bolt-on piece, but normally a permanent fixture (riveted onto the backing plate).

You'll need to find someone w/a busted backing plate to get just that piece (or get a whole 'nuther backing plate).  Or if you want to try fabricating one, I can get ya dimensions.

Quote And thanks for your patience with this. Can you clue me in on how to post a picture?
Try these links:
And in general, the "testing & support" forum:

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/testing-and-support-for-the-forum_forum7_page1.html

Sean

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamstewart_236 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2009 at 5:50pm
Yes. That is the part. I suppose I will need to fabricate it. It is no where to be found and I am left with only a hole to account for it's presence. I would appreciate the dimensions. Also I  will try and put up some pictures tomorrow.
WFS
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2009 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by buckshot buckshot wrote:

Sean,
Thanks for posting the brake diagram. My '46 is missing the entire assembly!
Now I know where to start.

Brian

hi buckshot.....

you will want to start looking for the late style MB internal e-brake set-up, if you are concerned about originality based on your signature serial number....

otherwise, early, or late style CJ2A will work :)

low

Edited by lowenuf - 24 July 2009 at 8:21pm
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2009 at 7:42pm

... I would appreciate the dimensions ...
Hope these will do.  Kinda crude, but then this part ain't rocket science. Tongue

Some reference photos (click any to enlarge):

Drawing & dimensions:

Sean

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote williamstewart_236 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2009 at 12:23am
Sean; Thanks (again). Pictures and drawings were more than sufficient. I spent about 3 hrs with a lathe, air saw, and welder but I finally got one that appears to work. It was the only piece missing. I bought new springs and shoes. Sandblasted the backing plate, painted and now watching paint dry. Cable is frozen permanently. Front driveshaft wore thru it and water seeped in I suspect. Bought a new seal and got a felt seal also. I did not run across  any felt when tearing it down. Can you tell me where this felt should go?
WFS
 Post Reply Post Reply