Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steering box upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willystodd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steering box upgrade
    Posted: 15 Oct. 2009 at 2:46am
Is there a steering box upgrade for th CJ2a?  I am also worried about the "death wobble"  I have heard of using CJ5 steering box, are there upgrade  kits available or a recomended parts list??  By the way, this is my first post!  My 14yr old son and I brought home a 48 willys, it has been lots of fun to work with him on it.
Only in a Jeep!
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2009 at 3:38am
I can appreciate your concern about the early "primitive" steering configuration of the 2A. That said, This early set-up worked fine if it was maintained. It would be alot more work to change it to the later set-up than to fix it for what it is.
The other downside of making this a big "later ugrade"  project is...more than likely your Jeep will be less desireable upon resale.
If your heart is into changing this, here is a great source that has alot of guys who have done it and have a different outlook.

And WELCOME!  Smile

Edited by GaryArf - 15 Oct. 2009 at 11:39am
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2009 at 1:53pm
Changing (upgrading) the steering box isn't going to fix a death wobble. Worn kings pins, loose idler arm, bad tie-rod ends, loose relay rod, improper toe-in adjustment, bad knuckle seals, and out of balance tires are the causes of death wobble. As GaryArf said, if maintained properly the factory steering gear works just fine.

Welcome also.

Larry
48willystodd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willystodd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2009 at 1:45am
Thanks for the help, like all 60+ year old vehicles, it will take some tlc.  I will start inspecting and replacing your mentioned parts. Great website!!!
Only in a Jeep!
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2009 at 9:16pm
I am going to the Saginaw steering swap because the PO hacked out the entire Ross system and welded a  Saginaw box to the front frame horn.  I had to replace both frame horns and the tubular cross member.  It also had a funky GM tilt column.  Someone gave me a 1950 Jeepster column with wheel and steering box.  The Jeepster used a Saginaw type set up but the box is a lot smaller than a Saginaw box.  I am using a late 60's Chevelle manual Saginaw box and may use the Jeepster steering wheel with the big Willys emblem just to be different. I have been bookmarking every Saginaw swap website I can find and saving photos as well as taking photos of the swap.  I hope to see some at the Mason Dixon gathering next weekend.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2009 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by ralf ralf wrote:

........and may use the Jeepster steering wheel with the big Willys emblem just to be different. 

Oh yeah? LOL ............"I want to be different like everybody else" (I actually overheard that one time in reference to something else)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Ritt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2009 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Originally posted by ralf ralf wrote:

........and may use the Jeepster steering wheel with the big Willys emblem just to be different. 

Oh yeah? LOL ............"I want to be different like everybody else" (I actually overheard that one time in reference to something else)

Cool Roc, you only need one gauge........................Wink
Rit

1948 2A,

"RAISIN COOKIES THAT LOOK LIKE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES ARE THE MAIN REASON I HAVE TRUST ISSUES"
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2009 at 4:28pm
Actually no, those two slots that look like air cond. vents are gauges.....so I have the normal four plus the tach.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2009 at 5:48pm
NOTHINGS    NORMAL     on            FRANKIE   !!!!!!!!!    Wink
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
John 46-2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John 46-2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2009 at 8:03pm
willysjuly-Aug09009.jpg steering picture by JohnColesI made the bracket to bolt on so no welding and to those who don't now better a stock look and it clears under the crossmember.
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2009 at 10:35pm
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  I have a black Willys logo steering wheel from a late 50's Willys pickup and a tan steering wheel with Willys logo from the 1950 Jeepster.  Looks like I will have to use the tan one.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A

1941 J-3 Cub
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2009 at 10:37pm
Thanks for the pic John.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A

1941 J-3 Cub
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct. 2009 at 11:10pm
Just for those wanting the 'stock' look....the splines are the same, by the way.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

copicmarker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copicmarker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2012 at 7:46pm
Nice steering wheel. From what Willys is it taken?
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2012 at 10:41pm

Wagon or truck.....but that one's been modified some, it's 15".

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

hugh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hugh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2012 at 3:51am
Seem,s I can never leave well enough alone. I decided to use Herm the Overdrive guys steering upgrade system. It uses a reverse rotation Ford box mounted just ahead of the motor mount. It was not cheap and it took quite a bit of fabrication to make it fit. With a V6 motor there is more room so if you want to keep the flathead four be prepared to modify his brackets. Here is a picture of the mounted box, Herm claims it is a more rigid system then mounting a Saginaw ahead of the round crossmember.

The radiator also need to be moved to clear or I guess I could have found a different rad with the outlet pipe moved.

jeep - the toughest four letter word on wheels
FarmJeep99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FarmJeep99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2019 at 5:01pm
This picture is very close to what I’m building. Can you post more pics on how you connected your column?  Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply