Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sandblast or Dip my frame?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sandblast or Dip my frame?
    Posted: 29 Apr. 2006 at 12:12am

Hi everyone,

I am at the point where I'll be hauling my frame off to either the sandblaster or to a restoration facility that has a chemical tank big enough to dip frames and remove the rust down to the bare metal.  Price wise, they are about the same.  Does anyone have preferences on which method they like?  Sandblasting is quicker, but it can't get into every nook and cranny, however dipping gets all the rust of inside and out, but it's nearly impossible to paint everywhere inside the channels anyway.  If you had access to either method, which would you chose?  Has anyone ever had the thinner steel of the 2a frames get damaged by a high powered sandblaster?  I have had a pair of old tractor fenders and a hood warped by sandblasting before.

Thanks, Daniel

Mike Gardner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2006 at 12:23am
i have been thinking about this also. i am setting up a huge sand blaster at work along w/ a new paint booth. i can blast the frame and tub for free. (w/ help from my suplier) i also have a account w/ baltimore galvanizing. they can dip my frame fairly cheap. so i am in the same boat as you uglyjeep.
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
uglyjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2006 at 10:04am

One thing that I like about media blasting is that it leaves the surface of the metal smooth and helps smooth out rusty spots.  One thing that I hate about having things dipped is that anywhere that there is rust, it gets dissolved from the metal and it creates craters and pits where the rust once was.  When parts are painted after dipping the paint can't fill in all these voids in rusty spots, and even glossy paint looks dull and mottled unless the paint is really thick.  Actually, I hate to say it, but if I had a frame dipped I may be tempted to also blast it afterwards to even out the metal surface.  Decisions, decisions...

Daniel

Edited by uglyjeep - 29 Apr. 2006 at 10:05am
Ewgin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ewgin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2006 at 7:18pm
Dipping is good for things that aren't riveted!! The dip cleans out under the rivets and even after painting rust will develop in these areas and bleed out(pop the paint or rusty water run marks. If you acid dip it you should also have them e-coat to protect these areas.I chose to sandblast mine, I also used an acid etch primer, then a filler primer, then paint. I chose an equipment enamel for durability.  
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2006 at 8:38pm

I've heard stories, The dipped frames have "issues" with bleeding after the paint. Sandblasting leave a sand buildup that is trapped between components as well, it also is very hard on any rubber seals. I think if you address the problems with each technic you will be fine,  Sandblasting or media blasting will only get you down to what you have left. I agree it's nice to get your frame back as a fresh start. 

Gary

CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

gnkhoffman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnkhoffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2006 at 11:28pm

I had my frame sandblasted 6 years ago;  had it powder coated, and I am happy with the results.  I only have 3000 miles on it since I put it back together; have not been through deep water.

Gary Hoffman

gnkhoffman
Txjake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Txjake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2006 at 10:06am
Anybody ever galvanize one after cleaning? Old Land Rover frames are done that way and it seems to help on rust.
Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies!
Ritt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2006 at 11:37am

It's a little more work but I used the most powerful paint remover Home Depot had then power wash. It came out pretty nice. The old paint (several layers) came off very easily. Just don't let it splash on your skin, it leaves marks.

I had my hood sand plasted at a cost of $96.00 and had to travel 35 miles so I wasn't about to bring the frame in. Just too expensive.

Rit

1948 2A,

"RAISIN COOKIES THAT LOOK LIKE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES ARE THE MAIN REASON I HAVE TRUST ISSUES"
wyowillys46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wyowillys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2006 at 1:09pm

I had my frame sandblasted. Yes I'll occasionally get bits of sand that come out but I was really happy with it.

P.S. I tried paint stripper on my hood before getting it sandblasted. It worked fine until it got down to the original paint. Didn't even touch it. Wish they made paint durable like that now.

Edited by wyowillys46 - 02 May 2006 at 1:13pm
bseale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bseale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2006 at 11:04pm
I will soon be having my frame dipped and will let you know the results.  The metal finisher in my area uses a thermal/chemical non-destructive process that is much kinder to the metal than acid wash.  You can contact them from their website and find out if anyone in your area uses this process.  www.metalfinishings.com
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2006 at 8:15am

Does anyone know of a place that will dip gas tanks on the east coast?

Bill,I have seen galvanized Rover Frames but they were new ones. The guys up in Mechanicville with the Rover place get them somewhere. THey work out great for the Rover guys  who usually have very little frame left.  I also have a local guy who gets his new trailers galvanized. I haven't pried it out of him where he gets it done tho. That is the way to go on new trailers for sure. It doesn't seem to add a lot to the cost.

The current issue of Vintage Truck has an excellent article on frame blasting by my neighbor who does the Advance design Chevy trucks for a living. I agree with most of what he has written and it would all apply to a jeep. Look for the article by Bob Adler.

Edited by F Bill - 28 May 2006 at 8:17am
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Post Reply Post Reply