Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Generator replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator replacement
    Posted: 01 Nov. 2009 at 2:19am
Like trying to teach an old dog new tricks.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2009 at 11:30pm
Bill,

For whatever reason, Bill, Firefox, which both Ralf and I use, does not work like IE does.  What you describe for pasting clickable links works fine with IE but with Firefox you have to insert links using the Hyperlink icon   and the resulting dialogue box: 

Ralf., the instructions that F. Bill gave for copying the link work in Firefox.  You just cannot make the link active or clickable unless you use the Hyperlink icon that pops up a dialogue box.  Paste (Ctrl-V) the link in the Address bar.   The redundant http:// will be deleted by the forum software.   Previewing will not show you anything but when you click OK, a clickable link will appear in your post.

Edited by samcj2a - 31 Oct. 2009 at 11:40pm
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2009 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by ralf ralf wrote:

Someone may show some pity to the new guy and get you started with a couple links.

I am going to ask my son how to post links.  He had to jump start me to learn to post pics.  Let me be the 1st of many to ask you to post pics.  Every onelikes pics.

It's easy, Ralf... just go to whatever site you need to post a link to.   then highlight the entire address(URL) in the browser window.. On my windows IE system all I need to do is click once anywhere in the adress bar.

then... this is the magic part.....   hit CTRL C   ( two keys at once...)

and then  when you are typing here on teh page , where you want the link,. hit CTRL  V    and the link magically appears..   make sure it has a break between it and any other typing or it will turn into a run on sentence and not work.

Here , for example...

and then I type again.

Snitz....

Google   ONE WIRE ALTERNATOR CONVERSION....  and you will find reams of info.. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=one+wire+alternator+conversion&aq=1&oq=one+wire+&aqi=g10

Edited by F Bill - 31 Oct. 2009 at 11:13pm
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2009 at 11:04pm
I just reread your 1st post.  A 12 volt battery will spin a 6 volt starter, but real fast.  Some change to a 12 volt starter but some here just stick with their 6 volt starter, until it burns up.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A

1941 J-3 Cub
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2009 at 11:01pm
Welcome "Not Given" or should that be Mr. Given.  Could I just call you "Not"?LOLBig smileWink

The faces mean I am just kidding.  Try the search feature and read the stickies on how to search.

There are many posts here that explore this topic to the N'th degree.  If it is a 46 engine then it was 6 volt.  If it is now 12 volt then I would guess you have a 12 volt generator in place of the 6 volt.  The 12 volt conversion is very common and many other sites address this such as Early CJ5 and G503.

Someone may show some pity to the new guy and get you started with a couple links.

I am going to ask my son how to post links.  He had to jump start me to learn to post pics.  Let me be the 1st of many to ask you to post pics.  Every onelikes pics.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A

1941 J-3 Cub
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
snitz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2009 at 2:05pm
I have a 46 CJ2A, original engine.  The electrical system has been converted to 12V with the original starter and generator.  I would like to replace the generator with an alternator but I am unsure of how to determine the correct alternator and what the affect would be on the voltage regulator.  Can anyone on the forum provide advice and direction in this regard?

Post Reply Post Reply