Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alternator Install

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternator Install
    Posted: 16 Nov. 2009 at 4:49am
I've been planning on entering our Willys in the local Christmas parade but needed to install a new alternator to power an inverter for lights, and for future electrical add-ons. I'm no expert but this is how I installed my alternator. Following Mo's directions http://mightymo.org/Proj_OneWire.html I went to Napa for a Delco alternator (NAE 66013), and an Excite Resister (NON W335) that connects the alternator to its battery terminal. The whole project was less than 100 dollars.
This is the original generator and regulator that was removed to make room for the alternator.

The alternator...
         and the excite resistor below. This negates the need to replace the internal regulator shown
         on Mighty Mo's web site. (So I was told by Ron at Napa. He owns several military vehicles Confused)

After buying the neccessary hardware I had to make room under the hood. The bracket attached to the engine block was removed also.

I needed to drill a hole to mount the alternator.

After mounting the alternator I had some clearance issues. It wasn't able to move forward making the belt attachment a little tight, but it is able to rock back putting tension on the belt. (Had I been smart, I would've measured twice! LOL) But after a little trimming it fit pretty well. Actually, this alternator lines up pretty close to the pullies too.

Next, I drilled a hole through a wooden dowell and cut it to length to mount to the adjustment arm. I'd like to change this piece of wood to something more safe, maybe a stack of washers or something. I think it may split and break off at some time.

Lastly, I wired the beast according to Mighty Mo's suggestion: from the alternator to the amp-meter, then to the battery.

It ran great on the first try! When the engine is revved up the alternator kicks in and begins charging at about 14 volts. The amp-meter shows exactly how many amps is being used.
Again, I'm no expert but this wasn't that hard to install! Big smile
Please, call me Tony

Clovis, CA.
Bob in Orlando View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob in Orlando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2009 at 1:48am
Looks like you need a wider pulley on the alternator
Bob

48 CJ2a
91 YJ
04 KJ
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2009 at 2:36am
Most any good alternator shop can fix you up with a wider pulley for a very reasonable price...
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Munoro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2009 at 4:36am
Thanks for pointing that out. I'll definately look into it! Shocked
Please, call me Tony

Clovis, CA.
sireland67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sireland67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2009 at 12:05am
Go back to Napa and buy a belt Gates 9415 it is a compromise belt that is a little narrow for the original pullys, and a little wide for the alternator but much better than what you have now it costs about $15.00

1948 CJ-2A
2003 TJ
doug_g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug_g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov. 2009 at 4:46am
When I asked my local generator rebuild shop about a new pulley they just pulled the pulley off my old generator and put it on the alternator.
snagfird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snagfird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2009 at 1:56pm
Tony,  I am following your instructions for converting to 1 wire alternator.  I have gone to NAPA with your part numbers for alternator and excite resistor and was told these numbers were not NAPA numbers.  They did cross reference the alternator but do not have any record or knowledge of the excite resistor mentioned.  Can you double check to verify these numbers.  thanks  Glenn
snagfird
1946 CJ2A
Trust but verify
murmsk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murmsk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2009 at 4:49pm
I used the same alt  I think the autoparts store told me it fits an early 70's camero. Just ask for a 1 wire alternator.

Also check the pully size before you try and use the old generator pulley. If memory serves they spin at different speeds and thus have different sized pulleys .

I have run the big bely on the skinny pulley for several years without problem... and yes you can call me BUBBA

steve
ovrlnd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovrlnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2009 at 3:44am
for the spacer head down to the local hardware. they should have a selection of bronze/steel/nylon spacers.
OverlandMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverlandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug. 2011 at 9:01pm
I know this is an old thread but I'm trying to fix a squeaky belt at high idle issue. From what I can tell, I need a wider belt. I currently am using a 11/16 width belt. The one in the pics above looks much wider. Can someone provide me with the width? I think I'm good on length.

I need a different alternator pulley too once I get the correct wider belt.
1948 CJ2A # 217333
My Project

JW in Dallas, TX
Sandbagger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandbagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2011 at 4:53pm
this is exactly what I want to do with mine once I get the engine overhauled. Thanks for posting!
1949 CJ2A "Bradley"
1987 YJ "Sandbagger"
DiverDownJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiverDownJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2011 at 10:02pm
Well I too am now guilty of posting on an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone had a picture of how they ran their alternator through the ammeter, I just want to make sure I don't cook anything doing so.  Pretty much I want to wire it up right once, not more than once, my gauges are original to a 1945 MB, so I want to make sure I don't damage them if possible.
45 MB#458536
1946 CJ2A#26624 "Wilson"
UPFFC
OverlandMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverlandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2011 at 10:05pm
It depends on your alternator. If its a 1-wire type, you just run the single wire off the alternator to one post on the amp gauge. Then you run back to the battery off the other amp gauge post. I used a decent size wire on mine. #8 or #10 should work without issue.

Edited by OverlandMan - 10 Aug. 2011 at 10:06pm
1948 CJ2A # 217333
My Project

JW in Dallas, TX
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2011 at 8:31pm
Does the original wiring on the ammeter work. So I just run from alternator to ammeter. And done or will I have to add another wire from ammeter to batt.
 Post Reply Post Reply