Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > CJ2A Page Member Created Parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tandem Towbar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tandem Towbar
    Posted: 10 Dec. 2009 at 5:53pm
Can someone supply me with some information please? (at your convenience of course)

This project is separate from the on-going discussion on towbars in General Discussion.  I want one for decoration.  I am NOT suggesting that you use one of these to flat tow your jeep.  I may even make one out of aluminum.

A. overall length, B. distance from the ouside of the "A" frame tongue pieces, C. length of welded cone, D. length of mounting bracket, E. distance between rivet holes, F. width of top plate, G. thickness of outer plate, H. rivet hole dia, I. eye bolt inside diameter, J. Distance from center hole in eyebolt to outside edge of bumper, K. outside diameter of eyebolt, L. diameter of eybolt shank, M. overall height of "A" frame pieces, N. oustide diameter of bumper pipe (need inside dia too if known), O. height of mounting bracket.

The second image has some redundant requests but some are not.

This is enough info to get me started.  I need more later.

I know that there are drawings for this towbar already available on the internet.  I want to make my(our) own set because (like the bows) I don't want to be constrained to the stipulations that go with downloading those drawings and since a few people have volunteered to help me, I thought I'd give it a shot.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Willys Motors View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willys Motors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2009 at 7:05pm
I should be able to provide the dimensions in a day or so. If you are building one from scratch, keep in mind the MB version replaced the front bumper. The M38 used the same bar, but with extension or adapter plates to move it in front of the bumper. I made my own plates so I wouldn't have to remove the bumper on my MB.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2009 at 7:30pm

These dimensions too please.

The thickness would be "G" on the first drawing.

Edited by jpet - 10 Dec. 2009 at 7:31pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2009 at 8:51pm
And the Jpet Fabrication Inc. engineers are hard at work once again!Big smile

Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2009 at 11:12pm
JPET ::::

If your building ??? I am in for one shipped to me..ClapClap

Maybe someday I will get a chance to get home and install it on one of my toys that havent been started in a month CryCryCryCry
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2009 at 12:43am
Dang Jeff, check this out, maybe it would pay for you to start repo this Shocked
Too many jeeps.....GOT JEEP ?
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2009 at 2:08am
WOW!!!! IS THAT THING GOLD PLATED.
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
ndrtkr View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndrtkr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2009 at 2:46am
Originally posted by mike in oregon mike in oregon wrote:

Mike...NOS of that type "might"  bring that price, but certainly not in that condition.
Some MB GPW guy would probably jump on it if so, otherwise only worth 1/2 that or less.
Good luck to the seller....you never know, but on this one...Thumbs Down

11acs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11acs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2009 at 5:01am
I pulled one off of my MB. I'll go out in the barn tomorrow and take some measurements for you. It's too cold & dark out there now. I didn't need all that weight up front.  Smile btw Bubba cut the ring off flush & tacked on a standard hitch.
Victor

48 CJ2a

42 MB

45 CJ2a

IH 1210 PU

Interstate S-1a Cadet
DaveyK01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveyK01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2009 at 1:36pm
JPET, when you get your first prototype done, ship it to me for testing.  Heck if it's good enough, I won't even charge you for my testing time!Wink
Dave
DaveyK01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveyK01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2009 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by mike in oregon mike in oregon wrote:

Yea, but the Patina is un-even.  That should knock a few hundred off.
Dave
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2009 at 3:35pm
Some of these dimensions are not right but it is a start.  What is the overall length of the bumper pipe?
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2009 at 4:16pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

11acs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11acs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2009 at 4:44pm
I have 2" from the start of the taper to the end on the main tube. The flange that bolts to the frame bracket is 2".
The main beam is 21/4" across horizontally and 23/4" vertical measurement. 
There is a 1/2" high flange welded to the tube on each side of your 20.50 measurement.
My overall length of the tube is 46"
The plate measurement you have at 3" is 31/2" on mine.
It's warmed up to 14 degrees, but my fingers couldn't take any more. Wink
I can bring out the calipers in a little while & get the thickness measurements.
I can take some closeup photos if you want.
There is a piece of formed angle that joins the two flanges that bolt to the frame brackets that you don't have on your drawing.

Victor

48 CJ2a

42 MB

45 CJ2a

IH 1210 PU

Interstate S-1a Cadet
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2009 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by 11acs 11acs wrote:

I have 2" from the start of the taper to the end on the main tube. .....
Yep we are good there.
Quote .... The flange that bolts to the frame bracket is 2". ....
??? Not sure what you mean.  maybe a pic would be good
Quote .... The main beam is 21/4" across horizontally and 23/4" vertical measurement. ...
Are you talking about the "A" frame where I have 20.5 and 19.5 respectively? Never mind, I know what you mean now. 
Quote ...There is a 1/2" high flange welded to the tube on each side of your 20.50 measurement. ...
  I have flanges there too but they are 1/4" high by 1/8" wide.  Got any pics?
Quote .... My overall length of the tube is 46" ....
  Are the tapers on the ends of your bumper tube welded on or is the pipe swedged on the ends?
Quote ...There is a piece of formed angle that joins the two flanges that bolt to the frame brackets that you don't have on your drawing.
  Again I'm not sure what you mean.  Yes, I know there is a bracket there.  I don't have dimensions for that but I need them.

Victor.  Thanks for the info.  At your convenience (and when it warms up a little) some pictures would be nice.  Preferably the pictures would be straight on to avoid as much parallax as possible and with a tape measure or scale in the pic for scaling.

The dimensions I have posted are from Russ's which is original.  Is your's an original?

Thanks again and do this at your leisure.

jpet

Edited by jpet - 11 Dec. 2009 at 5:16pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

11acs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11acs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2009 at 5:38pm
I'll take another look in a few minutes & take photos and try to answer the above questions. I might be off on the flange measurement. Mine is an original, but has an a-frame tongue coupler tacked on in place of the ring which was sawed off flush with the end of the assembly.  
Victor

48 CJ2a

42 MB

45 CJ2a

IH 1210 PU

Interstate S-1a Cadet
11acs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11acs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2009 at 7:47pm
The tapers on the ends of the bumper tube are welded at about 6" in. from end. The holes in the end of the tube are 1" tapering in to about 7/8"
The angle piece that joins two assemblies the tube rotates in is 1 1/2" x 1/4" x 32 3/4" Mine looks like it had a chain wrapped around it & bending it up by Bubba. Should be not too hard to replace.
You are correct that the "stop" flanges are 1/4" x 1/8" , I was wrong.

Victor

48 CJ2a

42 MB

45 CJ2a

IH 1210 PU

Interstate S-1a Cadet
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2009 at 3:56pm
I'm getting a little closer:

These dimensions are a composite of three tow bars, russnj, 11aces, jeepfreek.  None of the three are exactly the same so I choose dimensions where 3 of 3 match, 2 of 3 match, or a nominal dimension that made sense.

These dimensions are still up for debate  though if anyone wants to join in.

I have pretty big discrepancies on the size of the eye bolt:
On Russ's the "A" dimension is 2-1/16" and on Jim's it is 2-3/4".

I wouldn't mind getting some more feedback on these dimensions

Also, I need some dimensions on this inner gusset that the eyebolt welds to:

Are all the rivets the same size?  If so, what size

Finally, I could use some dimensions on these rivet locations:

Thanks again. At your leisure please.

Edited by jpet - 12 Dec. 2009 at 4:05pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>