Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clutch adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clutch adjustment
    Posted: 20 Mar. 2010 at 11:06pm
In 50 years of replacing many, many clutches I have never experienced a finger adjustment issue nor has anyone in any of the professional shops I have worked in. No amount of finger adjustment is going to compensate for a clutch cable adjustment that bottoms out on the threads before establishing proper free-play.

The longer cable is the correct cable for a T-90 trans installation. The shorter cable for the T-84. Check the cross-shaft. The longer arm should be next to the trans (pointing up) and the shorter arm to the frame (pointing down). They should be 180 degrees aprt. Some repro shafts are not made correctly. I have come across, and heard of, several instances where the wrong rod (1 inch longer) was installed from the pedal to the cross-shaft. Off hand I don't recall the correct length of the rod but someone on the forum will probably come up with it.

Finally, this is what the throwout bearing should look like if installed correctly. The arm must sit properly onto the pivot ball and the bearing carrier return spring must be properly attached. If the arm has slipped off the pivot ball you will not be able to adjust the free-play.

Larry
Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2010 at 4:58pm
I have purchased brand new pressure plates and found the fingers were not set correctly.  I would check the fingers prior to installing.  I worked next to a shop in Denver at one time that was a one man operation.  That guy was contracted with several autoparts companies to rebuild parts like water pumps and starters.  He drank a 12 pack by noon every day.
I would double check anything I buy.
Lew
Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub
Nick W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2010 at 3:35pm
We do have the fork behind the ears on the carrier, with the return spring. I just measured our rod, and it comes out to be 10 1/2", end to end, which is completely different then the 2 measurements given. I installed the new tube as per pictures in the service manual. Im assuming that the rod i need is 9 1/2"? 
westforkboyd View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2010 at 2:16pm
Oh, I see he didn't have adjustment prior to replacing. Well either the cable or the rod were wrong before or tube is on wrong. It's never the clutch fingers but that's what everyone wants to mess with.

WFB
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
'55 Oliver Super 55 Ollybelle
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2010 at 1:55pm
This has happened to othere (including meLOL) there are a number of possibilities, mine happened because the clutch rod that I bought was the wrong one, there are different lengths available. Here's a link that talks about it, it also has dimensions so you can check and see if they sent you the proper rod (or cable) http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/clutch-problems_topic12766.html?KW=clutch+rod
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
westforkboyd View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2010 at 1:51pm
Hi Nick

If everything is as you say this dosn't make sense unless the fork is in the wrong position. Is the fork behind the "ears" of the carrier or behind the throw out bearing?

WFB
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
'55 Oliver Super 55 Ollybelle
Nick W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2010 at 1:48pm
Larry,
Thanks for the information, but heres my problem. Clutch is in excellent shape, i replaced the control cable with a new one from Pete DeBella. It was the same length as the original, but as in the original, i wound up with no adjustment left. I replaced the control tube and pedal rod, all parts were the same as OEM, but my problem is i have to push the pedal all the way to the floor to get the clutch to engage. I read in the clutch "how to" that either the control rod was too long, or the clutch release cable length was changed. This is why i inquired about the clutch fingers being out of adjustment. Have you ever encountered this before? Thanks very much for the help, its appreciated.
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2010 at 11:44pm
There is no reason to adjust the fingers on the pressure plate. They are set from the factory. This was recently discussed on the CJ3A forum.

http://cj3apage.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Tech&action=display&thread=1489

Larry
Nick W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2010 at 7:07pm
Ive searched around, but couldnt find the exact info im looking for. Im looking to adjust the clutch, can the fingers be adjusted while the clutch is still attached to the flywheel? If so, do i follow the measurements in the service manual, or wold there be a different measurement? Thanks very much. 
 Post Reply Post Reply