Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tire carrier

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
johnnybravo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnybravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tire carrier
    Posted: 13 Jan. 2011 at 1:44am
After market flavor???

another view...

Ret. USAR-Vet, 6-GPW's,, 1-M38 w/M-100, 1-47 WO "Jeep" 4X2 Wagon, several ruff CJ2&3A's, 1-CJ3B,
johnnybravo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnybravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2011 at 1:15am
I just photographed a new jeep with a similar after market arrangement.  I like yours better.  Do you think it would be possible to lower the spare and attached the tail gate to the tire carrying assembly, so it would swing out with the carrier?  I never want the tail gate to hinge down.  I will be carrying passengers in the back and this will provide easy exit/entry.
Ret. USAR-Vet, 6-GPW's,, 1-M38 w/M-100, 1-47 WO "Jeep" 4X2 Wagon, several ruff CJ2&3A's, 1-CJ3B,
metalshaper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalshaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2011 at 9:58pm
IF you could draw a design of what type of carrier you are looking for I can try to fabricate it and see what it looks like and how it might function on a CJ2A.  Let me know what you had in mind..... always open to new ideas. 
Limeking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limeking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2011 at 2:25pm
I like the look of that, but I was hoping for one that ia attached to a bumper for more protection.
If there wasn't stuff that sucked how would we know what is cool? Beavis and butthead

Jeremy :)
04 Rubicon
48 CJ2A
Longhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2010 at 11:18pm
Interesting!

Got any larger pics?

Thumbs Up
Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

"2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights will make a left".... Gallagher

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalshaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2010 at 10:38pm
The rack is attached to the rear crossmember on the right side only, with a brace from the frame rail to the rear crossmember.  It swings away easily so the tailgate can still function as original.  There is a double latch,safety system.  One to latch it tight and the other is a spring loaded pin that has to be pulled up to swing the carrier out.  No chance of it opening up accidentally.  The entire carrier can be removed easily with the removal of just one set screw.  

Brian
buckshot View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2010 at 9:55pm
Brian,

I like the tire carrier. Is the tailgate functional? Can the rack be easily removed? Is the rack attached to the rear cross-member?

Thanks for your help,
Brian in Tyler
'46 CJ-2A #14883
M416 Trailer
1938 Plymouth Pick-Up
2008 HEMI Rubicon Unlimited
2008 JK Unlimited
My Jeep photos at:

https://picasaweb.google.com/113017572186775733159/ForumPhotos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalshaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2010 at 9:27pm

Here are some photos of a CJ3A project that I just finished up for a customer.  they wanted a swing away tire carrier instead of having the spare on the side.  Here is a photo of the tire carrier I fabricated for the project.  I am sure i have some better photos if you need them. 

Brian
Limeking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limeking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2010 at 2:48pm

A while back I know I came across a swingout tire carrier for sale, I cannot remember the company.  Does anyone have a clue?

If there wasn't stuff that sucked how would we know what is cool? Beavis and butthead

Jeremy :)
04 Rubicon
48 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply