Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear Bumper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear Bumper
    Posted: 22 Dec. 2010 at 9:36am
Going to get my first CJ-2A tomorrow. Had one growing up and it dad sold it. What is the deal with the rear bumpers? I have seen several pics showing all types of bumpers (don't know if they are original or just something someone dreamed up). From the pics, mine does not have one, so I will be replacing it. Would like to have original bumper if not too expensive. Any bumper details are appreciated. (My first post).
Half the world is on hold, the other half is on backorder.
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2010 at 11:58am
hi, and welcome to the site....

there was no actual rear bumper installed on CJ2A's....there is only a rear crossmember (this has the 2 slots on the driver side to accept the license plate), and as a factory option, it may have had a drawbar(which looks like a piece of angle iron with 4 attaching straps and 2 support braces)...

Without drawbar:

With drawbar:

45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

captianpattson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2010 at 3:41pm
MBs and GPWs had loop bumpers, I've seen them adapted for CJs.
'49 CJ2A in fewer pieces than before
My Build Thread
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2010 at 5:15pm
Yup, i was going to suggest the bumperettes too.  They used a very similar one on M-151 jeeps that looks almost identical to the WWII ones, for a lot less dough.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2010 at 6:21pm
Thanks for info. Headed West to get the new addition to the family.
ALSO: Where is the best place to get parts online? I wish there was a single thread with resources for getting parts. (maybe there is, but I can't find it).

Harveynailbanger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harveynailbanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2010 at 6:27pm
Walck's is about as good as it gets, i use Rock auto for bearings, sheet metal choices are pretty limited  but there are decent repair panels available.
Rick
if the grass is greener on the other side, try waterin your grass.
"I hope I'm half the person that my dogs think I am"
I only do what the voices in my toolbox tell me to.
46 CJ2A 71804
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2010 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by Willys Willys wrote:

Thanks for info. Headed West to get the new addition to the family.
ALSO: Where is the best place to get parts online? I wish there was a single thread with resources for getting parts. (maybe there is, but I can't find it).

parts suppliers listed near the bottom of the page...

45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2010 at 3:51am
Well I was disappointed. No new addition this time. I have some questions about the engine. I was concerned when I checked the oil. There was about 3/16" of a white paste like substance on the very end of the dipstick. The jeep is running, but there was also small almost thread like white stripes in the oil. I had other concerns. My thought were that maybe there was water in the oil to make the white paste like substance in the pan. Any thoughts?
Can someone please post a pic of what the locking hub is supposed to look like inside (with the locking hub removed). I think is is going to be difficult to get a good one at my price range. I don't have the cash to do a full restore, but I would like to make it sound and not a rust bucket.
Harveynailbanger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harveynailbanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2010 at 5:46am
not sure what the price range was/is. water in the oil will appear as white/creamy colored "sludge" or oily froth, dont know how else to describe it. i wouldn't necessarily put the screws to a deal because of it. chances are you'll have to put new gaskets at the very least in the engine anyway, head cracks are fairly common,(overheating issues w/ a 60 plus year old machine) heads aren't that expensive. Many on this forum would probably sell one reasonable. radiators on the other hand can be pricey. did seller balk at reducing the price accordingly?
Keep your eyes open you can find a deal if you have the patience.
Rick
if the grass is greener on the other side, try waterin your grass.
"I hope I'm half the person that my dogs think I am"
I only do what the voices in my toolbox tell me to.
46 CJ2A 71804
Longhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2010 at 2:59pm

I have some questions about the engine. I was concerned when I checked the oil. There was about 3/16" of a white paste like substance on the very end of the dipstick. The jeep is running, but there was also small almost thread like white stripes in the oil. I had other concerns. My thought were that maybe there was water in the oil to make the white paste like substance in the pan. Any thoughts?
Can someone please post a pic of what the locking hub is supposed to look like inside (with the locking hub removed). I think is is going to be difficult to get a good one at my price range. I don't have the cash to do a full restore, but I would like to make it sound and not a rust bucket.

The white substance in the oil is water but it may just be condensation. Usually if the water is mixing in with the oil due to a crack in the block while the engine is running the oil will get a chocolate brown color.

When was the last time the enigine was run for any length of time?

Also, what type of locking hub are you looking for a picture of?

Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

"2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights will make a left".... Gallagher
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2010 at 3:38pm

Can someone please post a pic of what the locking hub is supposed to look like inside (with the locking hub removed).

Here's a link to Vernco's page on front hubs. If you want pics of a particular locking hub you'll have to tell us which one. I have pics of 21 different ones.

http://www.vernco.com/frontaxle/id461.htm

Known locking, or free-wheeling, hubs:

Allstate
AVM
Cutlas All Steel
Cutlas Bulldog
Cutlas Power Lock
Denver
Dualmatic-IH
Dualmatic New Style
Dualmatic single lever
Dualmatic twin lever