Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > CJ2A Page Member Created Parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dusters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dusters
    Posted: 26 Dec. 2010 at 6:00am
Some of youns' have been wondering what the dusters I'm making will look like.  This is what they look like:

To youns' who would like to make your own, this is how I did it.  I used some patterns from the "Make Your Own Canvas Top" thread, but I will try to explain how you can use the geometry of your jeep and bows to make a top.

The canvas that I have is 72" wide so first I cut a piece that was 64" long, folded 2" over and sewed it to make the piece 64" 65" x 70"  The 2" fold serves as a reinforcement for the windshield grommets.  Next I knocked out the holes for the grommets and installed them:

This is a pic of the rear panel but it shows how I knock out the grommet holes.

The drawing shows the hole locations as looking at the under side of the canvas.

Once I completed this, I fit the canvas to Gen'l Willys and pulled the canvas over the bows:

I'm using chip clips to hold the canvas on the rear bows.  With a yard stick, I traced the a line on the fabric that is collinear to the horizontal rod and then I cut the canvas out along that line:

Then I created four folds in the canvas and marked them to be sewn later:

First folds are to make the canvas wrap around the windshield:

Second two folds are at the location of the front bow assembly.

While the canvas is installed on the jeep, it is time to mark a trim line for the rear bows:

Leave 1/2" extra for the seam.

Also mark the locations for the bow flaps:

Once that is finished , you can remove the canvas, sew the folds, cut the rear of the roof to length and sew on the binding:

When I made this top, I did not do everything in the order of this tutorial, but I am writing this tutorial in the order that I would do it next time now that I have some experience.

Next make the bow flaps:

The bow flaps are 2 and are 5-1/2" x 7-1/2" so I cut out 3 pieces, 7-1/2" x 11" folded them in half, sewed the binding, installed the  grommets, and installed the turn buttons:

The turn buttons that I used are the "stud & eyelet" type.  They require a special tool to install.  Rather than buy or make tooling, you can use the "2 prong" type.  All you need to install them is an exacto knife to cut two slits in the fabric.  The tool to install the stud & eyelet fasteners is expensive so i made my own tooling and bought a 1/2 ton arbor press from Harbor Freight for 30 some bucks:

This press is not only handy for setting the rivets for these turn buttons, it is also handy for cripming the ends on the straps and setting the split rivets in window frames.  You want to make sure that the press is clean so that you don't get grease or dirt on your fabric.  You can see in the picture the seat and die that I made to flare the rivets:

Attach the bow flaps to the roof using the marks you made to locate them:

There is a 7" gap between flaps.

Next I made a flap to go across the outside top of the roof to cover the seams of the bow flaps and the fold I made at the front bow location.  This flap is a single ply that is 64", 3" wide, has an 1-1/2" radius on each end and binding on all sides.  It looks like the flap on an original top"

Sew this flap to the top outside of the roof:

This flap covers up some seams and gives the top a '2 piece" look.  I made the mistake of sewing this on after I attached the rear panel which made it a pain to sew later because I had to roll up one whole half of the top to get it through my sewing machine so that I could sew this flap which is in the center of the roofCry.  That's why next time I will sew this on before I attach the rear panel.  As I sewed this flap, I had to fold the bow flaps (which are underneath) out of the way.

OK, now it's time for the rear panel.  I made mine 3 pieces using the patterns in "Make Your Own Canvas Top".  After I am through showing you what I did, I will show you how to make the rear panel without patterns.

First, trace and cut out the three pieces:

Next, lay the pieces back to back on top of each other and sew them together like so:

Then lay the assembly out on a measuring board (or whatever you call it), align the edges of the archway opening so that they are parallel and there is a 36" gap between them. (the width of the tailgate opening).

See how the seams stick upward?  Once my dimensions are all good, I fold the seams inward and sew them down to create a flat fell seam:

Now I need to make the reinforcement pieces:

You can make these tracing the archway out with a 2" offset.  They are 3 pieces and the two side pieces overlap the top piece by 1/2" as shown.  These are sewn to the inside of the rear panel.

Next the "triangular" reinforcements for the straps:

and finally the reinforcements for the "wing" flaps that wrap around the bows:

All of the reinforcements are sewn to the inside of the rear panel in the order that I presented them.

As I said earlier, I used my patterns to make the rear panel, but if you do not have patterns you can make the rear panel using the bows:

Lay your bows (blue) on a piece of fabric as shown.  Trace around the outer arch of the bows leaving 1/2" for the seam.  Make your wing flaps extend 4-5/8" past the outer edge of the bow.  The top of the flap starts at the quadrant of the radius bend in the bow (see above).  The bottom of the flap comes down to the top edge of the tub:

The bottom of the rear panel should extend past the edge of the tub by about 2 inches.
The opening in the archway should be the width of the tailgate opening 36".  In the drawing above, I tried to illustrate that you can make the rear panel from one piece of fabric, and use the inner archway cutout piece to make some necessary pieces to complete the project.  This way there is minimal wasted fabric.

Whichever way you make the rear panel, once it is finished, you are ready to attach it to the roof piece.  I made a mark at the rear center of the roof and the top center of the rear panel, matched the marks, and sewed the pieces together starting from the center and working my way to the outside.  Once these two pieces are attached, knock out and install the grommets in the wing flaps (6):

After this, Install the top on the jeep:

Check the fit one more time before sewing the binding to the rear panel.  If something is not right, now is the time to fix it.  In this pic you can see that I have not installed the grommets in the wing flaps.  For now, pretend that they are installed.

If everything fits to your desire, fold the wing flaps around the bows and mark the locations for the turn buttons:

Fold the flap around the bow making sure that the archway edge is collinear to the tailgate opening.

hold the flap so that the grommet touches the canvas, and with a pen, trace out the inside of the grommet hole.  While you are at it, mark the locations for the straps:

Now it is time to remove the canvas and sew the binding around the rear panel:

This is a long piece of binding.  I can tell you right now that at this point the top will be awkward to handle for sewing.  The waterproofing in the canvas is very messy, and gets dirty easily just by touching it.  I talked to Dave Pizzoferatto about this and asked him if there was anything I could keep the canvas clean.  He told me that it is what it is and said that the dirtiness just makes it period correct and not to worry about it so I won't.

install the turn buttons (6) in the wing flaps flaps and sew on the straps:

Up to this point you may have got by with a smaller sewing machine, but to sew these bad boys on, I highly recommend an machine that has 1/2" clearance and a walking foot.  SO.... much easier.  This strap is 20" long and has two 3" folds as shown.

Almost finished.  Some of youns' have asked me to add a flap to keep the duster from flapping in the wind too much so i did:

I used the pattern in "Make Your Own Canvas Top"

Sew the flaps to the roof:

The location for these flaps can be found using the geometry of the horizontal rod:

The front of the flap should be just behind the bend in the horizontal rod,

And the "mickey mouse" ear should cover the vertical rod socket.

I used the drawing from "Make Your Own Canvas Top" to make this piece......
Drip flap
....but, once again if you use the geometry of the horizontal rod, you can calculate what the part looks like without a pattern.

For those of you who insist on a pattern:

This is a pattern for the roof piece....

Here is a drawing of the rear panel:
Rear roof (rear panel)

If you are going to make your own "1 up" top, I highly recommend you use the drawings strictly as a guideline and follow the procedure that I used before just cutting your fabric to the drawing size without checking it against the actual dimensions of your bows and jeep.  You may be sorry.

Anywho, that's what they will look like.

Edited by jpet - 30 Dec. 2010 at 5:45pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Roger B View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2010 at 11:07am
Jeff,

Avesome work againClapClap!!

Excellent instructionThumbs UpThumbs Up!!

Roger
1946 CJ2A Serial # 22728 Harvest Tan in parts

1947 CJ2A Serial #101548 Luzon Red Only 16000 km

1947? Bantam T3-C Serial # 20006
woody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2010 at 1:50pm
Very well done !Thumbs Up
CJ2aAl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2aAl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2010 at 3:52pm

Outstanding work Jeff!

1948 CJ2a #196169

1995 YJ
1997 ZJ
2001 WJ
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2010 at 3:55pm
I'm glad you like it Al because that one is yours. Lol
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2010 at 4:28pm
Very cool Jeff. Did you ever get the materail from Matt?
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2010 at 5:26pm
Not yet
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

CJ2aAl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2aAl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2010 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

I'm glad you like it Al because that one is yours. Lol

Sweet!! I'll be crusin' in style!! So does that make my duster serial #001?
1948 CJ2a #196169

1995 YJ
1997 ZJ
2001 WJ
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2010 at 7:17pm
Jeff,

You never stop amazing me with your talet and dedication!
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2010 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by CJ2aAl CJ2aAl wrote:

.....So does that make my duster serial #001?
Yup. Your top is ole' #1.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2010 at 2:03pm
Jeff,
You have been busy, and up late too!LOL
Your duster looks sweet.
Your talented in so many ways.
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2010 at 2:08pm
Fantastic tutorial Jeff.
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

banjobees View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote banjobees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2010 at 5:18pm

Jeff:

What amazing and beautiful work!!

Your tops will transform many jeeps' appearance from "before" to "after" : I am sure that no one will notice the bits of body rust and rot once my jeep has your top! 

And it will be great to be done with a rainy face when I am driving at this time of year.

With best wishes,
David
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2010 at 5:50pm
I've made a couple changes to the pattern:

Basically I am going with 65" wide on the roof.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2011 at 4:43pm

I am waiting to get strap tips in the mail, but when they arrive, I will have finished 4 OD dusters and 1 OD bikini top.

Some of youns' have said that you would rather have a 2 piece duster like the original CJ2A 2 piece tops.   OK.  If you are on the OD duster list and you want a 2 piece top, let me know.  The price is $350.  It will look like this except it will not have fasteners for the rear curtains:

The price for the 1 piece top is going to be $250.  Sorry, but I added the rod flaps and the tops cost more to make than I anticipated.

Duster Sunbrella tan:
1. mike in oregon.
2. banjobees
3. Joe DeYoung
4. mullen46cj2a
5. Del Clear
6. Jeff_Davis
7. Joe Frazer
8. HP 711
9. Ritt

Duster Sunbrella black:
1. ralf
2. buckshot
3. dennisanvil (half cab)
4. 3-48s (half cab)
5. m38mike
6. ALTSWEET (half cab)
7. HP 711

Duster cotton duck OD:
1. CJ2aAl
2. leef
3. Vince
4. mix4coal
5. dfer

6. GaryArf
7. StrayBullet
8. Woody
9. Joe B.

Reedikini Sunbrella tan:
1. banjobees
2. ricco79
3. Cheap Jeep (CJ)

Reedikini Sunbrella black:
1. Cheap Jeep (CJ)
2. mrkringles
3. slowjunk

4. dgreen6655

Reedikini cotton duck OD:
1. surveypunk
2. burnzee

Edit:  With the 2 piece top or the 1 piece top, you could add side curtains later, but I have no plans to do side curtains.  I'm not saying that I won't but I don't know if or when.  You can buy side curtains from NewLife.

Edited by jpet - 29 Apr. 2013 at 6:26pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2011 at 6:46pm
Jeff,  your apprentice there looks a little young...I think they have laws about that! 
Once again you've taken the bull by the horns and you're making it happen.  This place, and our jeeps, are better because of your exuberance, knowledge and dedication.  Thanks for what you do!
Just out of curiosity...when do you find time to do all this stuff?
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
JIMO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JIMO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2011 at 6:22pm
Jeff,
Nice work!

I have a question (a bit OT), are those AutoCad drawings you are using, and if so can you make those jpeg's/images directly from a screen view or how do you do it?  I am playing with ACAD 2010 and I'm just curious.  I have done some 3d renderings and saved as images...some fun stuff.

Thanks,
Jim
1946 CJ-2A
1996 F-150
2000 XJ
MITY KAT CRAWLER

"I love it when a plan comes together"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2011 at 6:34pm
Those drawings are AutoCAD.
1. Do a print screen which copies the screen image to my clipboard.
2. Open paint program and paste clipboard to the blank canvas
3. Crop to desire.
4. Save as a jpeg.

I use Inventor for 3D stuff.  AutoCAD is better for 2D stuff IMO.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>