Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Colorado Fall Color Tours 2011!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 25>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2011 at 4:07am
Don't think so Jeff.....the tractor's been sold I think.Cry

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
westforkboyd View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2011 at 4:31am
Semis and Trailers and Jeeps...Oh My.....

Mike, you and Ellen offer the best ride(s) in the country. Looks like a must do event this coming fall. But that scarey over the top Summer run is out for us this year. 
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
'55 Oliver Super 55 Ollybelle
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2011 at 11:23am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Don't think so Jeff.....the tractor's been sold I think.Cry
Oh yeah.... it is.  I forgotEmbarrassed
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2011 at 3:31pm
What scary over the top ride?  The only one I remember was a major 4 lane super 4wheeler high way.  Even the gray poupone crowd was there in their $60,000 land yahts.  Your jeep did just fine and can a person get any closer to the heavens and still have your wheels on the ground?

Maybe we should plan a real crazy trail with 1000' drops and only 2" of road to spare.  We have a lot of those trails.  One trip over one of those and you would feel like the "over the top" road was a piece of cake.
Here is the typical view from your jeep as you go on the Black Bear road:
Look forward to seeing you again,
Lew
Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2011 at 9:48pm
Nice post Lew!   LOL Several get-ums coming at me at once.

We had fun last year and great company but the tamer Fall Tour will be good enough for us this year.....Aw who knows when the time comes what we'll decide. It was probably the story you and Bruce conjured up about having to wire your left foot to the seat frame in order to cheat death on some ride or other you guys described. That's what done it!
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2011 at 10:13pm
i'll pass (no pun intended), i am not afraid of heights, but i do have a fear of free falling....lol
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2011 at 10:50pm
Aw come on!  The fall won't hurt a bit, the sudden stop might!
Really, it's so easy in an old willys that it should be legal for my 16 year old to drive.
All you need is low range and all is well.  You can do it all W/O brakes if done right.
I think there are only a couple balls of scrap metal at the bottom of Black Bear and those are full size rigs.- no just kidding.
We will have plenty of easy trails so head on out and enjoy solid ground on all sides of your jeep!
Lew
Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2011 at 11:09pm
I remember asking a Colorado patrolman (this is 40 years ago) why there weren't any guard rails on the highway, his answer was that it wouldn't stop a car anyway and just prolong the terror for a few extra seconds. At 18 I thought that was pretty funny. 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2011 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by Lew Ladwig Lew Ladwig wrote:

. . . . All you need is low range and all is well.  You can do it all W/O brakes if done right. . . . .Lew
Well, that's about right.  My brakes were quite low on fluid this past September, but I did not know it until we got up in the mountains.  The fact is, I managed just fine using the gears. Embarrassed  I can't comment on the summer run, though - haven't done that.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
Mat L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mat L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2011 at 4:28pm

As CSMDakota said [Mat L aka MontanaMat] i will be coming down that way with the Family for the tour. I am bringing my '45 MB, two kids and the wife.

We're really excited, been itching bad since seeing all of the 2010 pictures.

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2011 at 2:09am
Roc, I sure hope you can make a "both-events" holiday work for you.  I'd love to see Frankie up close.  And I think you'll enjoy getting to see just what Frankie can do in the mountains.  But I promise we won't abuse it going over Mosquito Pass!! Shocked LOL

WFB, I'm glad to hear you'll be joining us again this year.  I was going to try talking Durangotang into hosting the mid-summer ride since there's some great country down his way.  But since he's going overseas, and his jeep is in my shop, I guess we'll have to come up with a different idea for a mid-summer campout and ride. 

LEW!!  Don't give away all our secrets!!  And don't scare away all our future guests!  Whew!  Its a good thing they can't see really how steep and scary that Black Bear Road really is from that photo.   BTW, one of these years we need to plan a trip down (up) that way.  BBR would be a kick-arse ride for a camping weekend.  Trust me folks, we won't do any "black bear roads" on the fall color tour.  Although the ride up Mt. Princeton was kinda close. 

Gale, I heard the reason we don't have guard rails on many of our roads is so it's easier for the tow truck to pull the wrecks back up onto the roadway.  No guard rail in the way.  Besides, we don't want to spoil the view of all those low-slung sports cars as they go screaming around the corner. 

Sam, Thank you.  You are exactly right.  About the only time you use brakes while driving in the mountains is to come to a complete stop.  Most of the rest of the time you use the gears to keep you at a comfortable speed.  And unless you're riding with jpet and Ricco, you can get by pretty well just keeping in low range second gear.  Now if you're crazy enough to ride with those two teenagers, HANG ON!  They'll go up and down the gears faster than you can blink! 

Mat L, Welcome to our event thread!   We're glad to hear you've got this on your calendar.  MB's are an under-represented kind of flatfender, so I'm glad you're bringing yours.  Will you be here for the full week or just for the grand tour weekend?  I hope you can make the week.  We look forward to meeting you and your family. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2011 at 2:45am
Mike,

I really think we should plan at least a 1/2 day of scrambles before the weekend and all the 4-wheelers show up.  Probably should be the day before maintenance day. LOLBig smile  Arick and I are bringing a helmet cam this year!

Edited by jpet - 19 Jan. 2011 at 2:51am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2011 at 3:05am
jpet!  Helmet Cams??!!  Only 1/2 DAY??!!  I need to put you two on a closed circuit course for a day or two!! 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2011 at 3:27am
I said "at least"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2011 at 3:41am
Yes you did.  OK, now I've got my work cut out for me.  "Where's the race track??!!"  Handshake Cool
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2011 at 3:45am
Right here:

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2011 at 4:00am

A vacationing couple from Missouri was killed Tuesday evening when their Jeep slipped off Black Bear Pass and rolled more than 900 feet down a steep slope. Both were pronounced dead at the scene at 7 p.m., according to a report from the Colorado State Patrol. Westcott said the first call about the accident came into the Sheriff's Office a little after 4 p.m. from another driver on the road who had seen the Jeep roll by in his rearview mirror.

The victims of Saint Peters, Mo., slid off Black Bear Pass road while taking a left hand turn on one of the switchbacks above the top of falls at about 4:15 p.m., police said. The couple was descending the steep mountain road in a soft-top Jeep Wrangler when the accident occurred. Neither was wearing a seatbelt and both were eventually ejected from the vehicle, suffering multiple traumatic head and chest injuries, according to a report from county coroner Bob Dempsey. The Jeep came to rest, on its roof and back on the road approximately 930 feet down the hill, according to police and coroner's reports. The Jeep was "totally crushed," according to Dempsey's report.

Though Black Bear Pass road is in places exceedingly steep and narrow, especially in a pitched rock section above Ingram Falls referred to as "The Stairs," fatal car accidents on it are rare, and there has not been a fatality in recent memory, police said.

Ayeeeeeeeeee! Hope the camera survives......Tongue

Edited by westforkboyd - 19 Jan. 2011 at 4:02am
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2011 at 11:51am
Sorry to hear that.

Maybe we should plan the trip to St. Elmo the day before the scrambles.  I want to see that at least one more time.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 25>