Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Colorado Fall Color Tours 2011!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>
Author
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2011 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Sorry to hear that.

Maybe we should plan the trip to St. Elmo the day before the scrambles.  I want to see that at least one more time.
I sure hope jpet finishes all the projects before September!
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2011 at 1:10pm
I got it:

Pleasant drive to St. Elmo in the morning. :^)
then in the afternoon ....
High speed scramble upTiincup pass :^O
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2011 at 2:40pm

Just keep in mind, those old jeep movies of them jumping in the air and going full speed over rough terrain did not include the shots of the jeep being repaired!   A 60 second clip of an airborne jeep was easy to film, the 4 days in the shop fixing the busted frame was to slow to film.Cry

Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2011 at 4:32pm

I got it:

Pleasant drive to St. Elmo in the morning. :^)
then in the afternoon ....
High speed scramble upTiincup pass :^O

But Jeff, we've been to Tincup pass.  We need to explore some new country.  I was thinking about driving up to Baldwin Lake, which is above treeline just west of Mt. Antero.  Here's the view from Mt. Antero.  Notice how far down the mountain the first greenery is.  I think my home is on the left down in the valley.

We could include a fun ride over to Brown's lake which would take us over a 13,000 foot saddle.  Very scenic.  We could leave Jeff and Arick at Brown's lake and return to the saddle where we'd have a grand view of thier scramble back up the mountain.  It'd be a challenging scramble at speed, but not as dangerous as racing around switchbacks.  For the rest of us, it'd be a leasurely drive in low range 1st gear going up and over. 

M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Longhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2011 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by Lew Ladwig Lew Ladwig wrote:

Just keep in mind, those old jeep movies of them jumping in the air and going full speed over rough terrain did not include the shots of the jeep being repaired!   A 60 second clip of an airborne jeep was easy to film, the 4 days in the shop fixing the busted frame was to slow to film.Cry

I'm with you Lew!
I want to have fun and all but I think I would also like to keep all 4 wheels on the ground and rubber side DOWN.

Big smile
Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

"2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights will make a left".... Gallagher
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2011 at 2:10pm
"Ya ride her till she bucks or ya don't ride her at all." - Roy McAvoy
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2011 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Longhunter Longhunter wrote:

I'm with you Lew!
I want to have fun and all but I think I would also like to keep all 4 wheels on the ground and rubber side DOWN.Big smile

That's why I want to do this on a day during the week before the whole group gets there.
I'm sure when we go back to look at the video, we will see that we are not getting as airborne as it feels.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

ndrtkr View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndrtkr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2011 at 3:18pm

"Ya ride her till she bucks or ya don't ride her at all." - Roy McAvoy
                  Now that's funny...I don't care who you are!....LOL
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid"- John Wayne
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2011 at 4:30pm

That's why I want to do this on a day during the week before the whole group gets there.
I'm sure when we go back to look at the video, we will see that we are not getting as airborne as it feels.

How about setting up in part of the 4-mile area like where we had the picnic lunch on the rock outcrop?  We could pick out a mile or two of whoop-de-doos and set up a couple folks with video cameras in the best parts.  Put jeeps with radios on each end to act as traffic control so no one else would be on those trails when you are.  Then let'er rip!  ClapStarClap

Also a consideration, that way when you crash, it's easier for the rest of us to strip your jeep of salvageable spare parts to haul back to town! Shocked Cry Dead LOL LOL LOL
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2011 at 4:32pm
That's what I was thinking.  Someplace with lots of sand.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2011 at 4:45pm
Maybe I should borrow Daron's wrecker jeep for this? 
Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2011 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by m38mike m38mike wrote:

How about setting up in part of the 4-mile area like where we had the picnic lunch on the rock outcrop?  We could pick out a mile or two of whoop-de-doos and set up a couple folks with video cameras in the best parts.  Put jeeps with radios on each end to act as traffic control so no one else would be on those trails when you are.  Then let'er rip!  ClapStarClap

Also a consideration, that way when you crash, it's easier for the rest of us to strip your jeep of salvageable spare parts to haul back to town! Shocked Cry Dead LOL LOL LOL
  Great plan! ClapLOLLOLWink
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2011 at 4:51pm
Okey Dokey, we'll scout out some possible areas this summer, and look for good viewpoints where we can get great action footage of you and Arick going airborne and hopefully not committing carnage! 

[Originally posted by Lew Ladwig  Just keep in mind, those old jeep movies of them jumping in the air and going full speed over rough terrain did not include the shots of the jeep being repaired!   A 60 second clip of an airborne jeep was easy to film, the 4 days in the shop fixing the busted frame was to slow to film.Cry ]

No worries Lew, I've got a spare frame in the garage.  It should take all of us just one evening to move all his parts from his busted frame to my spare frame.  That's of course if all his salvageable parts don't go home as spare parts with everyone else who's there! Wink LOL
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2011 at 6:07pm
I like the idea of the top part of the sandy gulch...not so much the bottom part when outcroppings tighten up to the trail.   There was also a great spot about midway through the 4 mile, when Jeff and I first had a bit of a scramble, that would be really good as well.  Just keep in mind that my idea of "airborn" doesn't include a freefall!
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2011 at 6:18pm
Check out this plan:
Monday morning we go back to St. Elmo (just in case).  Go ahead and order sunshine for that day.
Early Tuesday morning, have a light rain.  Just enough to knock the dust down.
Later Tuesday morning, we go to the 4 mile and have our scrambles.
Wednesday can be maintenance day in case anything breaks we have plenty of time to fix it.  You can go ahead and have rain on standby.  If we have repairs to do it can rain light and steady to keep the dust down but not too much that it knocks the leaves off the aspens.  If we finish our repairs early, or don't need them we can go back to sunshine and hold the rain off till early the next morning.

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2011 at 6:54pm
I like that forecast...but I'm still going to try to find some Rat Patrol goggles just in case...that dust last fall was tough to deal with sometimes!  Don't forget...we (Mike) still need to scope out a place for an overnight trip!
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2011 at 5:05pm
OK jpet, I'll work on that forecast for the week.  But I'm using up my credits trying to get our British friends over here.  Wink

Ricco79, you might try this place for goggles:

And what do you think about this site for our over-nighter?   We can take either the easy way up there or the rugged way up there.  That mountain across the valley is Mt. Princeton.  Can you see where Terry's tranny came apart?  For those who haven't been here yet, to get an idea of scale, from the bottom of Mt. Princeton in the photo to the top is over one mile vertical - 8,000 feet to 14,000 feet elevation.  The place where I'm parked is just over 10,000 feet up.  Bring a warm sleeping bag, it's liable to be frosty up here. Shocked Big smile

Edited by m38mike - 21 Jan. 2011 at 5:13pm
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
westforkboyd View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2011 at 6:51pm
Quote Bring a warm sleeping bag, it's liable to be frosty up here.

Otherwise you'll have to borrow some cozy wool blankets from Mike, Ellen, and Bruce. Thanks again.

BTW Mike, after we left camp last summer we found two nice old Pendleton wool blankets in a little shop in Leadville for five bucks each. Kept us warm while camping at Turquoise Lake.
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
'55 Oliver Super 55 Ollybelle
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>