Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Salvaged bell crank rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Salvaged bell crank rebuild
    Posted: 31 Jan. 2011 at 3:51am
Carl Walck sold me a salvaged Bell crank bracket with bell crank and steering arm still attached to the cross tube.  Bubba had hacked out the tubular cross member on my 47 so I installed a new one when I welded on the new frame horns.  But, the repro tube does not come with the bracket.  Here ids the bracket before I cut it off.

After cut off.

Sand blasted bell crank with 7/8" hole.

Ross Box WOF  (Willys Overland France) See upside down WOF.

Bell crank with new bearings with bracket clamped to cross member.

Steering arm from pittman arm to bell crank.

The bell crank bearings had to be pressed in from each side.  I ground down one of the old bearings to use to seat the two bearings with a vice.  I had to set the bearings about a 1/16 deep in each side for the rubber seal on each side.  The bearings pressed from the top and bottom leave a 3/8 gap in the center for a grease race.  A smooth sleeve slides into the bearings and the retaining bolt slides up through the bell crank bearings into the bracket where a pinch bolt holds the bolt/pin in place.  The bearings are roller bearings and are encased so they dont fall out like a u joint cap.

p

Edited by ralf - 31 Jan. 2011 at 3:52am
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
 Post Reply Post Reply