Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1947 Jeep CJ2A - How Much is it worth?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markswanson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2011 at 1:49pm
Thanks Ralph for the comments. I'm looking for a driver that a can slow makes some modifications on to return it closer to the original.  I will not be doing too much to it though and currently enjoy the way it looks mostly.  I like the winch but will probably remove the huge bumper brush guard.  I'm going to see it this weekend and will try to get the price down a little more and will defintely put the vehicle through the gears and get underneath it.
Thanks again for your response.
"Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art.... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival."
— C.S. Lewis (The Four Loves)
markswanson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markswanson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2011 at 1:54pm
Thanks for your help with the pictures Mark.
"Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art.... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival."
westforkboyd View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2011 at 3:11pm
May be an early MD Juan replacement tub. No bow pockets for starters other identifiers are not shown in photos. Are there mid bow brackets on the wheelhouses? No "Willys" on windshield? Not necessarily bad, just depends on what you want. Good runner with repro tub....$3500-$4000.
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
'55 Oliver Super 55 Ollybelle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markswanson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2011 at 4:18pm
The VIN is J156223B.  Does that tell me anything important prior to purchase?

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2011 at 4:30pm
Texas is one state that uses the engine serial number for the VIN number on these older Jeeps. My Lefty 2A waqs bought there and it's vin is also the engine serial number. Several others have indicated same. The "B" at the end indicates .002" oversize cylinder bore from the factory.
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2011 at 4:30pm
Sounds like an engine number may have been used for a VIN.. MAKE CERTAIN that the vin is on that vehicle somewhere.. THe correct vin would be on a frame tag and a firewall tag, and it will not have any letters after the number.  Correcting  wrong vins is a very frustrating experience in most states.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markswanson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2011 at 4:42pm
.002" oversize cylinder bore?  Are you trying to say my Willys might accelerate over 40mph? =-)

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2011 at 4:48pm
LOL Hey that's just factory condition...Imagine if it has been re-bored since. Just had Mules engine bored .030, now that is awsome power.
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markswanson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2011 at 5:04pm
Seller just emailed me more info.  Does this tell us anything additional?

The body number is 146164 and the engine number behind the oil filter is 8 15 641087-l.  He is saying the title VIN is J156223B.

Edited by markswanson - 03 Mar. 2011 at 5:18pm
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2011 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by markswanson markswanson wrote:

Sell just emailed me more info.  Does this tell us anything additional?  . . . .  
Yes, he is very interested in selling it to you!  Wink
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2011 at 5:10pm
That number behind the oil filter is the engine casting number. Good news is your body number and engine serial  numbers are right in the range of being original to the vehicle.
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2011 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by westforkboyd westforkboyd wrote:

That number behind the oil filter is the engine casting number. Good news is your body number and engine serial  numbers are right in the range of being original to the vehicle.
I think that we do not know for sure that the engine from which the VIN was derived is still the same engine that is in the Jeep.  If it is, then what Allen says is correct.

Mark, when you see the Jeep, the engine number should be on the flat boss at the front of the engine just above the water pump.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markswanson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2011 at 10:04pm
Thanks I'll definitely check for that!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markswanson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2011 at 3:09pm
Well guys, I'm going to see it tomorrow and hopefully I will be using a plasma cutter to remove that terrible brush guard by the evening.
I will make sure I put it through the gears and make sure it maintains speed and power.  I'll definitely get underneath and check for rust.  Do a quick check that the Bubba mods haven't ruined the thing completely.  Then I'll be driving 100 miles home if I can't borrow a trailer.
Any closing thoughts for me?  Again I appreciate everyones thoughtful emails and responses.  You've been very welcoming and educational in your comments.
ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2011 at 6:26pm

Ya better leave early....LOL   (and have some tools with you...just in case)

Edited by ricco79 - 04 Mar. 2011 at 6:27pm
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
MFeiden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MFeiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2011 at 6:48pm
I think the bottom line on value is whatever it is worth to you. I probably paid about $500 too much but it was love at first sight and we both knew that it was going home with me --not much of a negotiating stance! I have typical rust (hat channels, tool box floor, etc.,) and the infamous second gear pop but neither have stopped me from having a hell of a lot of fun driving it. Has been worth every penny (to me) just to see the smiles on peoples faces when I drive by with the windshield down.

Good luck!

Mark

kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2011 at 6:56pm
MFeiden,
X2! All the way!
That could have been written by me!
Clap
"You know, I'm too old a bunny to get very excited about all this."
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army
France: 5 June 1944

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2011 at 7:22pm
I'd strongly recommend getting a trailer. Picking up a new(to you) 64 year old vehicle and then driving it 100 miles is somewhat risky, you don't know the condition of the brakes, steering, tires, ........... I think sitting on the side of the road would be a big damper on the excitement of getting a new(old) Jeep. I know on mine all the above mentioned items had to be replaced/rebuilt before I'd drive it more than around the block. (and I found out later that all the body holddown bolts were gone so the only thing holding the tub onto the frame was gravityShocked) Have fun but don't let the excitement cloud your judgment.
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>