Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Air Compressor?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2011 at 2:05am
My compressor is a 60 Gal Husky that Home Depot had on sale for $399.00 (couple of years ago) it's a 2 stage wired for 220. Works great (and I use lot's of different air tools). Just another option to consider.
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
dennisanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2011 at 2:35am
my lovly wife surprised me one xmas with 175 psi, 80 gal. tank , double stage,from lowes. i run air grinders and a sandblast cabinet. the  compress run off and on when useing the sandblast cabinet.
dennis
dennisanvil                   1948 cj2a, maker of tailgate hooks & hand forge iron ware
there not any knowen cure for jeep fever.
serial # 164136<
DanielC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar. 2011 at 5:20pm
I have a 3 HP 220 volt, 20 gallon single stage compressor I bought at Sears in the late 1970's, or so.  I actually had to replace the pump on it, with a similar sized one from Grainger. 
About 5 years ago, a friend of mine gave me a 20 gallon compressor tank.  I can leave the compressor in the garage, and take the extra tank to somewhere if I need to/

When I am painting, with a HVLP gun, I run regulated air into the second tank, about 40 PSI, and it cools the air, and any water the water trap misses, just goes to the bottom on the second tank.
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2011 at 12:33pm
I like the idea of putting it outside. I've thought about this quite a bit. Maybe doing a heat run or something to it to keep the condensate in the tank from freezing. Insulate the crap out of the walls that contain it. That would keep it quiet and clear up floor space.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2011 at 1:33pm

Putting it outside has its drawbacks too, if you have neighbors that might be disturbed by the racket of a compressor running.. I would prefer to have it  in a separate room from my work area. Insulation for noise is good, but you also need to cool the unit, so someohow you have to get fresh air to it without letting the noise outside.. At Job Corps, we had a concrete and block building, with a totally separate compressor/utility room with roof vents...We never heard the compressors over shop noise. If we kept the doors closed you couldn't tell we were working until you were 20 feet away.

I have a friend who uses DanielC's dual tank method to precool and get the moisture out. Along with religious draining of the tank, it works very well for him. He has two identical compressors and a spare large tank, all in series, and normally runs on the one compressor with the air going thru the idle unit and the extra tank before hitting his air hose. I have never had moisture come out of a hose at his shop.

Edited by F Bill - 25 Mar. 2011 at 1:38pm
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2011 at 4:16pm
i have my air compressor in a unheated shed away from both shops.i drain 
 the tank dayly. it does freeze  the water in the tank a few days of the year , but if i am running the compressor for a long time usely  well drain.
dennis
dennisanvil                   1948 cj2a, maker of tailgate hooks & hand forge iron ware
serial # 164136<
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2011 at 5:31pm
I've got a Husky 60 gallon verticle tank and run about 150 psi.  It's in the unheated shop/garage.  It'll freeze up in the drain pipe during cold days in the winter.  So if we get a mid-winter thaw, or I use it a bunch for sand blasting so it warms up, then I can drain it out.  Usually don't get much.  We have very dry air up here.  I'd like to either surround it with something to deaden the sound, or put it outside in a protected shed.  It's got a 220v motor and a single cast iron compression cylinder.  It's a bit noisy when it runs, but it'll keep up with my sandblasting pretty well.  I put rubber pads under the 3 tank feet so it didn't rest directly on the concrete.  That made a big difference toward making it quieter. 

I run the air through about 40 feet of 1/2" steel line before it hits my pressure control valve and the water filter.  That steel line really cools the air so the moisture drops out.  I've got another drain on the end of that steel line.
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
sireland67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sireland67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2011 at 10:20pm
I have mine outside also, and I leave a small halogen shop light on.
It keeps it warm enough to prevent it from freezing.
1948 CJ-2A
2003 TJ

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2011 at 2:06am
that wouldn`t work here in iowa.LOLLOL
dennis
serial # 164136<
Joe Frazer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Frazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2011 at 9:50pm
As mentioned in one of the earlier posts, the Jenny/Emglo ones can't be beat in my book. Of course, I'm a bit biased as they are made in our area back here in western PA. Nice to know
that some quality machinery is still made right here in the good ole U.S.A.!  Btw, they are the
home of the Jenny Pressure Washers which date back to the early 1900's! A good company,
good people and ones you can get on the phone if you have a problem or question etc.

If you want some literature, give them a call at (814) 445-3400.

Dial Ext. 104, ask for Jodell, and tell her you are into old Jeeps! Thumbs Up

You can buy cheaper stuff, but it won't likely work as long or as well!  Remember, you get
what you pay for in life!
Collecting any/all Kaiser/Frazer/JEEP literature/handouts/toys etc.
46 CJ2A
50 Jeepster
51 Pick-up
54 Willys Aero Hardtop
54 Kaiser Willys Darrin
56 Wagon
56 Factory Proto-type FC 170 Truck
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2011 at 2:27am
Thanks for the advice everybody. I'm going to go with a larger compressor, looking at the 60 gal one that lowes carries, but may price out some other brands first.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12