Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > CJ2A Page Member Created Parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Data Plates

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
thirtycal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thirtycal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Data Plates
    Posted: 02 Sep. 2012 at 10:13pm

Here is how the last one turned out with out any sanding needed.  This tag had actually been sanded and sandblasted before I received it.
thirtycal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thirtycal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2012 at 4:22pm
The big flat spots may still need some touch up.  They may have some shadowing around the edges, but that should be fairly easy compared to the rest of the small letters.  I was restoring a cream separator and had tried the sanding method a few times with unsatisfactory results.  I decided to try the trick I mentioned above after noticing the effect while cleaning the tag up.  The deeper the etching the better it works.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2012 at 2:23pm
That is a great idea. Removing the paint from the raised letters is the hardes part. I will try that next time when I do data plates for Bam Bam.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
thirtycal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thirtycal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2012 at 4:24am
A method that I found for painting etched metal was to dip it in paint thinner, then lay it flat and spray the paint on before the thinner evaporates.  The paint will be thin enough that it falls to the low spots leaving the high spots bare.  Much easier than trying to sand the high spots especially if the high spots aren't so high.  Leave it to dry over night and hit it with a clear coat in the morning.  Even an old crusty tag will look new.  Oh and make sure the tag sits level.  If it messes up all you have to do is let it soak in the thinner and start over.
PhillipM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhillipM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by uncle steve uncle steve wrote:

I need a set of three tags stamped for   SN 54883   1946 cj2a      Frame, body , and SN.. stamped.. I seem to remember, that someone on the Board did this.. any help would be appreciated ..
Thanks  Thumbs Up

No need for that, use http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/  It takes a picture and identifies the font.  It has to be a pretty good picture and everything but the type should be cropped for best results.  There is also identifont.com
garage gnome View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garage gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2012 at 1:43am
Thanks for that tip Jeff, I like to learn ways to make new stuff look old, especially for my '49.
Nate
1953 3A, 1949 3A, 1947 2A, 1918 IHC Titan 10-20, 1905 IHC Famous, other hit n misses
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2012 at 11:02am
I discovered a way to make your data tags look 65 years old. Here is a tag that I made.....

Then I sprayed oven cleaner on it and let it sit overnight. Next morning I washed it off:

These pictures really don't do it justice. I discovered this by accident when cleaning my frame
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2011 at 2:22pm
Nice Job Jeff, I've had that process used to etch aluminum mold cavities with leather grain texture, We refer to it as Photo-etching,this type of process is very much in use today in the automotive  industry, it's used for injection molded parts as well as integral skin arm rests and pads. keep up the great work!!! Sandusky
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 7:27pm
I don't think I will get into making these.  I've posted the procedure so maybe someone else could pick up on it.  Like I said earlier, Robert de Ruyter makes these at a reasonable price and he can make anything that you provide him a pattern for.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

trader_reed View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 6:27pm
Wow Jeff! Very good! I'm sure you'd sell a few governor and capstan warning tags made from zinc, the repo's are cheap and too thin. I need a capstan tag but would buy both to support The cause
Maker of the Reedkini
Longhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by 47goDevil 47goDevil wrote:

proof that one can polish a turd .   really put'n value to that jeep there .   good job . 

I saw the guys on Mythbusters do that so it is possible.

Big smile

Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

"2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights will make a left".... Gallagher
47goDevil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47goDevil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 10:26pm
proof that one can polish a turd .   really put'n value to that jeep there .   good job . 
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 9:30pm
I suppose.  I'm not sure how much relief you would get but when I did my plates, the acid never did eat the toner off.  I'm not sure how deep the etching went.  I just left them in the acid till I could feel a definite raised surface with may finger (with rubber glove of course).
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 9:15pm
Very interesting Jeff,  tell me...if I had a piece of magnesium block...say .918 high, and used this same process, how much relief could I expect to achieve?  I guess what I'm asking is could I make my own stamping dies with this process?
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 2:13am
No talent required really.  If you know how to print from a computer, use a clothes iron, slosh around a pan of acid, use a spray can and rub with a piece of scotch-brite, you can do it.
..... All that being said, It is not economical to make your own unless you are making at least 2 sets of plates.  You can buy them from dataplates4u.com for a very reasonable price and he does a better job.  I just did my own out of curiosity.  Making your own is only cheaper if your time is worth nothing.

Edit:  I would also add that you would not be able to sell them legally because they have a "WILLYS" logo.

Edited by jpet - 05 May 2011 at 2:14am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Joe Frazer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Frazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 11:41pm
You sure have some nice art talent - and patience!!

Keep up the nice work - all of us "un-gifted" folks appreciate seeing it!
Collecting any/all Kaiser/Frazer/JEEP literature/handouts/toys etc.
46 CJ2A
50 Jeepster
51 Pick-up
54 Willys Aero Hardtop
54 Kaiser Willys Darrin
56 Wagon
56 Factory Proto-type FC 170 Truck
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 11:32pm
Here is a new set made of zinc:

I ruined a few sets trying to get it right and I think I will make the CAUTION tag over again mainly because the "CAUTION" font is too bold and there are a few mistakes in it.  It's pretty much the same process as the aluminum.  After some experimentation, the P-N-P paper seems to transfer best when I set the laminator to 300° and run a single plate through 12 times.

I made a jig to drill the holes out of thick acrylic like what Daniel suggested:

It would make sense to do this operation before painting but oh well.  The jig did not scratch the part.  This jig has the hole patterns for all three tags.

I got the P-N-P blue paper from Enamelwork Supply Co.
http://www.enamelworksupply.com/supplies.html
#2513-1 PnP Blue (5 sheets) - $10.00    

The zinc sheets came from Rotometals:
http://www.rotometals.com/product-p/zincsheet030.htm
ZINCSHEET030-0001 ZINC-SHEET-.030" - 12" x 12" $6.00

Just follow the procedures that I laid out at the beginning of the thread.

Installed:

Man! ... Don't these tags make the ol' mut shine up like a brand new penny!!  I think they actually double the jeeps value.  I think I will run him by the gas station and fill up the tank.  That way I can TRIPLE his value!! Confused

Edited by jpet - 04 May 2011 at 11:35pm
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

uglyjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2011 at 2:11am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

I wasn't going to drill any holes in them but I would probably sandwich them between something to protect them and drill the holes....

When I drill delicate sheets of metal, often I will use 1/8" clear poly-carbonite clamped in place as the top of the sandwich.  It allows me to watch exactly where the bit is going, and still has sufficient strength to keep the bit from grabbing the underlying material.  Poly-carb also does not crack as easy as regular acrylic plexi-glass.

I have also used brad point drill bits on aluminum, and they made a pretty nice hole.  May even work well without a sandwich technique.  They have a centering point and cutters that cut the outside diameter of the hole first, sort of like a hole saw.  They are made for wood, but seemed to handle the aluminum fine...they were just a cheapie set anyway.  I think the set at work goes down to 1/8", they might be worth experimenting with.

Daniel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>