Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starter relay?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starter relay?
    Posted: 24 Apr. 2011 at 5:11am

Is there a difference between a starter relay and starter solenoid? I need to get one since i'm using a key switch. Is there a specific one I should be looking for?

Edited by captianpattson - 24 Apr. 2011 at 5:23am
'49 CJ2A in fewer pieces than before
My Build Thread
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2011 at 9:29am
Not really, the relay is usually plugged in and the solenoid mounts on the fender.  That one should be a solenoid.  2 large terminals and 1 or 2 small terminals. They both do the same thing.
Ed
cj2a lefty
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2011 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by captianpattson captianpattson wrote:

Is there a difference between a starter relay and starter solenoid? ...
YES!  Technically, they are quite different.  Unfortunately, too many people and vendors today refer to the solenoid as a "relay", when in fact it is not.  They have obfuscated the terminology.

In modern cars, the starter "relay" (the plug-in type) is used to energize the starter "solenoid", while simultaneously cutting off any other electrical devices you might have turned on (fans, lights, radio, etc.), so that all the battery power is made available to the starter.

Quote ... I need to get one since i'm using a key switch. Is there a specific one I should be looking for?
You want a "solenoid", regardless of what the vendor might call it.  6 or 12 volt as appropriate.  Internally grounded. See:

There have been many past discussions, try searching for "solenoid".

sireland67 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sireland67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2011 at 2:55pm
I would buy an solenoid from a mid 70"s Ford car or truck, it has its own bracket so you can mount it anywhere. 
If you are running 12 volts you can also use a pre-1972 Chrysler ballast resistor reduce the amount of voltage to the coil so you don't fry the points.
I can help you wire it up if you need more info.

Edited by sireland67 - 24 Apr. 2011 at 2:56pm
1948 CJ-2A
2003 TJ
captianpattson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2011 at 4:53pm

I can get one from the parts store this week from a 75 mustang, it had a 2.9 liter so i figured it was the most similar engine size. They're only $12, when I get there I'll let you know, I'll need all the help I can get:)

My Build Thread
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2011 at 5:26pm
Don't know what a '75 Mustang's looks like but engine size has nothing to do with anything pertaining to this.

The one Shawn picture is the type most commonly used.....if your parts store has one for a '75
Mustang it very well could be like that one but I don't know....

Most decent parts stores will know it as a '12 volt Ford style starter relay'......and hand you one like Shawn pictured.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
captianpattson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2011 at 5:54pm

The picture looked the same as the one Shawn pictured... They did have 3 for the 75 mustang, one for $12, one for $15 and one for $20. Being the cheapskate that I am, and knowing the jeep isn't going to be a daily driver, assumed the $12 one would be fine.

My Build Thread
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2011 at 5:54pm
75 Mustang would be the Mustang II, and would use the one pictured..
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

OverlandMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverlandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2011 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by sean sean wrote:

YES!  Technically, they are quite different.  Unfortunately, too many people and vendors today refer to the solenoid as a "relay", when in fact it is not.  They have obfuscated the terminology.

In modern cars, the starter "relay" (the plug-in type) is used to energize the starter "solenoid", while simultaneously cutting off any other electrical devices you might have turned on (fans, lights, radio, etc.), so that all the battery power is made available to the starter.

Yep - Sean's right... and I'm guilty of using them synonymously on occasion.

I would recommend getting a solenoid with a momentary button that closes the circuit to the starter and allows for easier diagnostics under the hood. I have this type on my setup. It's ground-side switched.
1948 CJ2A # 217333
My Project

JW in Dallas, TX
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2011 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by OverlandMan OverlandMan wrote:

...Yep - Sean's right... and I'm guilty of using them synonymously on occasion ...
Oops!  Didn't mean to imply you in my comment.  Should have worded that differently. Embarrassed

I just see the misuse all over the web these days.  While they both function the same way (use a smaller current to switch a larger current), a true relay doesn't substitute for a solenoid.

Quote I would recommend getting a solenoid with a momentary button that closes the circuit to the starter and allows for easier diagnostics under the hood ...
Is that type still made by anyone these days?

Sean

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverlandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2011 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by sean sean wrote:

Oops!  Didn't mean to imply you in my comment.  Should have worded that differently. Embarrassed

I just see the misuse all over the web these days.  While they both function the same way (use a smaller current to switch a larger current), a true relay doesn't substitute for a solenoid.

No you're good.  I know what you mean!

Quote ]
Is that type still made by anyone these days?

Good question. I did a quick internet search and came up relatively empty-handed. I did see this one on a British mini parts site: http://www.minispares.com/Product.aspx?ty=pb&pid=42337

I would think that would work. Of course, those who want everything original to their 2A are probably cringing. Smile

1948 CJ2A # 217333
My Project

JW in Dallas, TX
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2011 at 11:35pm
You could always rig up a switch and alligator clips to use on the rare occasion.
BOULDER 48 2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverlandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2011 at 3:06pm
Absolutely right... or a power probe, or whatever else you've got to close the circuit. Guess I'm just spoiled with mine. Smile
1948 CJ2A # 217333
My Project

JW in Dallas, TX
 Post Reply Post Reply