Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

11" brake conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowjunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 11" brake conversion
    Posted: 25 Apr. 2011 at 10:40am
I am considering doing the 11" drum brake conversion on my CJ2A.  I am curious how the 11" drum mounts.  Does it go on the inside of the wheel flange on the spindle or does it go on the outside of the flange.  Would I need M38 spindles to get the drum to mount on the outside of the spindle flange?
jeff in the up View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeff in the up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2011 at 12:52pm
Hi
when I did mine I used all the brake stuff from an early wagoneer, that had the self adjusting brakes on it. Some had the non self adjusting  (the same as the wagons and trucks all the way back to the beginning.) While, the old wagon stuff is still better than the stock , the self adjusting are also self energizing and give much better results. The backing plates go on last thing out.  I did notice that the drums were on the outside of the hubs. (hub drum then wheel. so you can take the drum off without taking the hub apart.) this effects the back spacing and if you put them on the inside like the originals they will hit the backing plate.  I have seen some guys hook the brake line up with the hose that the newer jeeps used. I wanted mine to look as stock as possible. the wheel cylinders from a 1971 ford half ton 4x4 truck front  bolt in and work great.  the early ford used special brake hoses ( they had the lines crimped into them) so the wheel cylinders accept the inverted flare lines. I only had to bend my s lines a little and they fit right on. I ran with just the fronts for a couple years before I got around to doing the back.  I have owned this Jeep since 1975  and before the conversion I  had to work on the brakes every summer that I drove it.  since the conversion (10 years) i have not had to even add fluid and I can actually stop going down hill.
have fun
Jeff in the up
14 rusty CJ2A's. Honest Honey They all Followed me home
Half way across the UP
hawkjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr. 2011 at 4:55am
Mount on the out side front and rear just like cj5 1972
cj2a 1948 155822 v6 sold

cj3a 1950 3J45548 4L MB
slowjunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowjunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 7:39pm
I was curious if the drum could be re-mounted on the outside face of the spindle.  The drum was mounted on the inside of the spindle face originally and with the brake conversion the drum will be mounted on the outside of the spindle face.  With the switch of spindle sides I was wondering if there would be a gap between the drum and backing plate.  Should I get a newer spindle (maybe with a different offset) or is the original spindle the same regardless of 9" drums or 11" drums?
rdunnebacke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdunnebacke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 9:35pm
I have heard that there may be a difference. Seems to me that I saw some directions with a kit that said the hub may need to be mounted on the inside on some vehicles.
2-1948 CJ-2A’s
2011 Grand Cherokee
2011 Chevy Pickup
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 12:07am
Your new 11" drums will be deeper than the 9" ones to make up the difference in depth moving from the inside to the outside of the hub. (at least on every conversion I've seen) 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
Crazy_YJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy_YJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 5:06am
Has anyone tried these; http://www.willysjeepparts.com/Brake_Package_Deals.htm  price seems a little high to me, but I guess if it works would be worth it
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 6:39am
Seems awful pricey to me
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
slowjunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowjunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2011 at 8:27pm
Agreed that it seems high.  I just bought the kit from another vendor for far less.  I have to say it is always nice to support vendors though.  They allow us to keep our vehicles alive.
Crazy_YJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy_YJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by slowjunk slowjunk wrote:

Agreed that it seems high.  I just bought the kit from another vendor for far less.  I have to say it is always nice to support vendors though.  They allow us to keep our vehicles alive.
Where did you get yours?  Really need to get some better brakes Wink  Pretty much the only this keeping me from getting this thing on the road Smile
slowjunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowjunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2011 at 12:25pm
Crazy_YJ,

I bought the kit from Herm the Overdrive Guy.  He said that lots of people were buying them now that the weather is getting nice.

There are several vendors I have seen.

http://www.the-jeep-guy.com/brakes.htm
http://www.r-p4wd.com/

There may be others.

slowjunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowjunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2011 at 12:27pm
I am still wondering if I need to get CJ-3B or CJ-5 front hubs instead of my CJ-2A hubs so that I can mount my drums on the outboard face of the hub.  I was told the front hubs for CJ2A and CJ5 are the same except that the studs are already pressed in on the CJ5.

I am concerned that if I use the CJ2A hubs my drums will end up with imcorrect space between the drum and the backing plate.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeff in the up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2011 at 8:25pm
Hi
I used my original cj2a hubs.  the only thing I was sorry I did was. I took the original hub and drums to a shop in town to have the studs pressed out.  I was planning to save the original drums.  they did not support the drum on the press so the drums were ruined. I could have done this with a big hammer.  otherwise it all went fine.  same with the rear.  I just pressed in the new studs and assembled the hub on the jeep. then slid the drum onto the hub and drums.  the back spacing looked good and  I have never had any problems.
jeff in the up
Half way across the UP
slowjunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowjunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2011 at 4:48pm
Does anyone know if it is possible to use the steel S-Lines when going to the 11" brakes?  I think I have seen pictures somewhere where I saw someone running the S-Lines instead of hoses.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeff in the up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2011 at 4:55pm
Hi  if you get the wheel cylinders from a half ton ford in the early 70's they had a real strange hose setup that ended in a normal inverted brake line fitting on the wheel cylinder.  I got mine at the car quest  (ten years ago)  and  when i assembled the brakes  I only had to bend my S lines a little bit  and it all hoked up.  been working great ever since.  I used to have the part numbers of those cylinders  but  i don't  know what i did with them.  I also used the same cylinders for the rear brakes.
jeff
Half way across the UP
garage gnome View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garage gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2011 at 12:13am
Originally posted by jeff in the up jeff in the up wrote:

Hi  if you get the wheel cylinders from a half ton ford in the early 70's they had a real strange hose setup that ended in a normal inverted brake line fitting on the wheel cylinder.  I got mine at the car quest  (ten years ago)  and  when i assembled the brakes  I only had to bend my S lines a little bit  and it all hoked up.  been working great ever since.  I used to have the part numbers of those cylinders  but  i don't  know what i did with them.  I also used the same cylinders for the rear brakes.
jeff

Nope, the 11" brakes used rubber lines from the frame down to the wheel cylinder.
Nate
1953 3A, 1949 3A, 1947 2A, 1918 IHC Titan 10-20, 1905 IHC Famous, other hit n misses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeff in the up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2011 at 2:56am
Hi  look at the 1972, the rubber hoses have a steel line with an inverted flare molded on the wheel end.  only on the 4x4.  the 2x4 is  the common type hose.  I remembered the odd lines, cause they cost an arm and a leg when i drove that year truck. these cyl bolt right into the jeep backing plates. Note  these are for the self energising self adjusting type.  the ones with the 2 cam adjusters are the same setup as the early wagons and I didn't think they were worth the effort. my brakes were from a wagoneer with 11 inch  self adjusters . but  I have seen the cam adjuster ones on the wagoneers .
jeff 
jeff
Half way across the UP
 Post Reply Post Reply