Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12V wiring diagram

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12V wiring diagram
    Posted: 03 May 2011 at 12:42am
Its time to start wiring things up. I've looked around and found quite a few wiring diagrams for stock 6v but none really for a 12V alternator set up. This is the diagram from cj-2a.com. I've changed it to my understanding but I'm sure there are some holes in it. Let me know what you think.

Here's my alterations:
'49 CJ2A in fewer pieces than before
My Build Thread
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 2:02am
That's the general idea, just replace the generator and VR wiring with the 1 wire from the alt. On mine I put a dummy VR on the fender, then ran wires from the Alt (one real and 2 dummies) to the VR and then used a maxi fuse inside the VR housing and wired it to the ammeter, this was all for appearance. 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
warbrds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warbrds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 2:47am
Hi
Here is what I will be doing. 1 wire alternator, 12V.  The thread is in jeep projects, "Curlew Flat Fender re-wire"
Still have not added the fuses into the diagram

Mark
1946 CJ2A

"When you're out of Sixes, you're out of Interceptors"
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 3:23am
captain... yours is wrong.  You have no way to start your engine with a switch to the solinoid.  Unless I am looking at it wrong.
Ed
cj2a lefty
frydaddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frydaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 3:38am
Yea, the thin orange wire to the solenoid should lead to your switch. 
captianpattson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 5:16am
Beautiful! Thank you guys so much! That is exactly what I needed.

p3ferris: I knew I forgot somethingEmbarrassed

Warbrds: Couple questions on your diagram. Does it matter which terminals you connect stuff to
(+ or -) on the ammeter. There is a positive and negative on the meter. Also on your alternator, you only have one wire going to it, is the one in the diagram the one to the BAT terminal or sensing #2?
On your solenoid I take it that the two thicker lines are the two larger posts on either side? Thanks again!

My Build Thread
warbrds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote warbrds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 5:55am
Originally posted by captianpattson captianpattson wrote:

Beautiful! Thank you guys so much! That is exactly what I needed.

p3ferris: I knew I forgot somethingEmbarrassed

Warbrds: Couple questions on your diagram. Does it matter which terminals you connect stuff to
(+ or -) on the ammeter. There is a positive and negative on the meter. Also on your alternator, you only have one wire going to it, is the one in the diagram the one to the BAT terminal or sensing #2?
On your solenoid I take it that the two thicker lines are the two larger posts on either side? Thanks again!

I went to my local auto electric shop with whom I have dealt with many times. I bought a 1 wire Delco alternator from him. The BAT wire goes through the Amp gauge to the Pos terminal on the battery.  You do not use the Field or Sense wires.  I also had him set it up so produce current at low RPM, this is important as a lot of alternators have a coming in speed above 1500 to 2000 RPM. Mine will be producing juice as soon as it is turning. Takes a little rewiring inside, which the auto electric shop did for me.

Yup my solenoid is set up that way.

Without looking at the Amp gauge I believe it is BAT wire to + and then on through to the positive terminal on the battery.

You can run the BAT wire directly to the battery if desired, just will not have a charging indication from a gauge. I like having the guage

Hope this helps some

Mark
Mark
1946 CJ2A

"When you're out of Sixes, you're out of Interceptors"
Longhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 1:26pm
Here is a diagram I found on the net for your alternator:

and another:

Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

"2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights will make a left".... Gallagher
Longhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 1:30pm
Here is my altered 2a wiring diagram:

Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

"2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights will make a left".... Gallagher
OverlandMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverlandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 3:08pm
Captain,

If you want to use relays (which I highly recommend) to carry the load for headlamps and other high-amp drawing circuits, take a look at my diagrams here: http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/topic11156_post163198.html#163198 - scroll down, they're at the bottom of the page.

I've got the same 12V Delco alternator that you've got.
1948 CJ2A # 217333
My Project

JW in Dallas, TX

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 3:21pm
Wow. These are perfect. Thanks so much everyone, This should be everything I need.

Mark and Mike, Your diagrams knock the socks off mine Embarrassed
My Build Thread
porsskar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porsskar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 6:36am
Captain, your first diagram on the thread is exactly what I built and it works fine but I do not have a clue how to continue as I will need to build in the turn signals in the system, have you got a good wiring system for that as well?
Sten from Finland
1947 CJ2A serial 94118
1949 8NAN Ford tractor
1965 Mahoghany Snipe FIN 14018

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captianpattson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by porsskar porsskar wrote:

Captain, your first diagram on the thread is exactly what I built and it works fine but I do not have a clue how to continue as I will need to build in the turn signals in the system, have you got a good wiring system for that as well?

No I don't. Here in Utah if it didn't come with the vehicle originally it is not required (seat belts, wipers, washers, turn signals) Thats just one thing I don't have to worry about Smile, but you are required to do hand signals. Walcks sells a turn signal kit that straps to the steering column for about $37. I'm sure it comes with instructions. I'd find out who has installed one here before and find out what you need. Hope that helps.
My Build Thread
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 12:06am
Sten,
I put on an aftermarket turn signal that clamps on the column. It does not interface with the brake lights as some do, so I added extra rear lights and used 2 relays to allow the front parking lamps to work as both park and turn signals. I have the circuit diagram somewhere if you want it. I found it here on the forum so you could try a search.
BOULDER 48 2A
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 12:58am
Ed
cj2a lefty
porsskar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porsskar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 11:00am
Thanks, this helps me, will ask Walcks for the kit.
Sten from Finland
1947 CJ2A serial 94118
1949 8NAN Ford tractor
1965 Mahoghany Snipe FIN 14018
skibumwilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skibumwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 6:42pm
Hey all, This is my Second time posting and I have an electrical question or two.

I apologize in advance for hacking up a beautiful wire diagram.

I have a CJ2a with an Fhead motor, 12v alternator and walcks wiring harness written for a generator setup.  Between the walcks wire diagram and warbirds diagrams I have gotten the jeep running and turnkey.  

I have noticed 3 things however, my battery drains and is not getting recharged, and I am not getting any readings on the amp gauge, and high oil pressure (different topic 80-100psi)

I have double checked the wiring and all looks good, and I am at the point of starting to replace parts?  But before I did I wanted to start asking for Ideas?

The alternator has the jump wire from the bat post to the sensing2  port  and then the long wire to the left side of the amp gauge.  IT does not have anything attached to the Field1 port.  Does it need field 1 connected?

My solenoid is on the starter, the main (+) battery cable goes to the large post, and another wire from the amp meter to the large solenoid post (has large copper D shaped end).

My Dist and coil appear to be fine,  the coil has the resistor from 12v to 6v internal (new).   Part of the wiring harness from walcks continues to the bat post on the headlight switch. 

I also dont have a terminal block on my Jeep as shown in the diagram below. I assume this was the 12v to 6v resistor that mounted to the firewall?

Do I have the alternator wired wrong or a possible bad alternator?

Below is what I have so far, for review and help,  My Ign switch is set up more like the longhunter pic.

link to the Jeep running

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1478990212334641&l=2106381432443027904

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 7:43pm
Bump
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>