Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

the easiest way to unstick an engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all4jpn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the easiest way to unstick an engine
    Posted: 08 Sep. 2011 at 5:08pm
ok folks..so i know many of you followed the electrolysis and vinegar thread...i am posting this here so it shows up in a search. Mods, if you want to move any of the other parts from general discussion, please do...on to the meat..

when i last left you guys all four pistons were still stuck in their bores. 3 had the centers cracked out of them. I am consolidating everything getting ready for fall/winter(i work outside) so i went to pack up the 35 willys engine. When i wrapped it up in plastic on the engine stand (outside) i filled the one remaining cylinder up with vinegar to see if that would work. when I removed the cover, it was a frothy, rusty nasty mess. very similiar to the electrolysis rust soup. underneath the scum there was still rusty liquid vinegar that had not evaporated yet. I put the engine in the shed on blocks, stuffed a towel in the bore to absorb the vinegar, and wiped it quickly. I put a piece of pipe onto the piston, figuring i'd break the last one. Well, happy to report, it MOVED!. About a dozen more moderate whacks with my mini sledge, and she was out. here are a few pix
you can barely see where the rusty vinegar line was...bore looke good though
heres the piston. the oil rings are all clogged up and wont move at all...you can see the solidified sludge all along the piston

side note.heres the early l head babbitted bearings. This stuff is super soft, and doesnt come off like a regular bearing.
so....electrolysis was interesting...but i now 100% prefer vinegar. De-grease and soak...if you have a stuck engine...try whacking it free...if it is really stuck, my recommendation is remove bottom end, fill cylinders (topside)with vinegar, let sit for a week or so, and they should come free. If the piston is at tdc,or they wont move still, get others out, flip the block, fill bore from the rear...

sorry for the long winded text filled post, but this should really help many of us out.....

Edited by all4jpn - 08 Sep. 2011 at 5:12pm
46 cj/06 lj/ and mb/2a/38 hybrid project
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2011 at 7:07pm
I have heard vinegar will work but have never tried it. Thanks for the report. If you can get the crank out before soaking it would help to tap on the top of the pistons with a wood block each day while they are soaking. Don't try to punch them out if they move, just keep moving them a little each day and let the vinegar work. I have used Kerosene before but it takes a long time for it to work on a really bad cylinder.

I hope you can just bore it out to save the block. You may have to sleeve one or more cylinders. Rust pits go deep sometimes.
 Post Reply Post Reply