Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

foot starter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: foot starter
    Posted: 13 Oct. 2011 at 4:42pm
Ok  I finally had time to go to my friends at the tractor supply here.  The kit is  now a little different and it will change it to a bolt instead of 2 contacts.  They need the # of the starter for you to have the right one.  If you pm me with your address I will send you their card.  Otherwise it is;
                                                         NORFOLK IMPLIMENT INC.
                                                         200 south 1st  street
                                                         Norfolk NE. 68701
                                                          1-402-371-4311
Parts; Carl Kuwatch      8:00am-5:00pm central time

I forgot to mention that they will sell you a solinoid that will go with it if you want

Edited by p3ferris - 13 Oct. 2011 at 4:43pm
Ed
cj2a lefty
Gunslinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunslinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2011 at 11:48pm
That push rod is supposed to go through a block of wood, the wood block is bolted to the fire wall.  I used a piece of 5/8 rough sawn plywood, drilled an adequately sized hole in it and bolted it to the fire wall.  Takes a little noodling to get it lined up right or it will lock the starter in the engaged position.  But it sure takes the rattle out, if thats all your worried about.
Gunslinger
50 CJ3A, M38A1
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2011 at 12:05pm
I will talk to Ford tractor supply today and ask if it is still available and get back with you.
Ed
cj2a lefty
muledeers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muledeers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2011 at 4:37am
I sure would like to find that kit. That push rod that engauges the starter bendix always rattling and bothers me thats one of the reasons i want to change it out
Roy
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2011 at 4:28am
There was a kit that could be put in place of the button  bolted to the top like the push button.  It makes direct contact with the piece inside.  I do not know if ford tractor sells them any more.  It was so a solinoid could be put on instead of the mechanical contact.
Ed
cj2a lefty
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2011 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by muledeers muledeers wrote:

Mine looks like the middle one
That's the MZ-4162 CJ-3A starter.  I don't think it can be converted to keyed operation, someone else might know for sure.

If the flywheel ring gear hasn't been changed, that might be a problem.  See this link:

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/footpedal-starter-question-newbie_topic20897_post179797.html#179797

Sean
muledeers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muledeers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2011 at 2:36pm
Mine looks like the middle one
Roy
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2011 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by muledeers muledeers wrote:

Where do i get a solenoid to pull/push the starter gear onto the flywheel? How do you adapt that? Rewiring is no problem. I understand the key switch will turn the starter gear but what pushes the gear out when you get rid of the foot starter?
Sounds like you have a CJ-3A starter, not CJ-2A.  Any data tag with model number?  if not, which of these does it look like:

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/starter-id-help_topic12731.html

Sean
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2011 at 3:25am
The solinoid is just a contactor.  It has a coil that is run by 12v or a 6v system.  You run the battery cable to one side of it and  the cable to the other side  just like the foot switch is hooked up on a 48.  Then you run a wire from the coil part of it to a push button or momentary make key switch.  Then grounding the other side of the solinoid coil to the neg.  If you use a push button then the other side of the button goes to the ign. sw. and hooks up with the wire that goes to the engine coil.  The starter clutch/ bendix is what goes in and out engageing the starter to the flywheel.  You can buy them at an auto supply or from Ron on the g503.com or Walcks which is all good places to deal with.  I concure with dennisanvil
Ed
cj2a lefty
dennisanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2011 at 2:05am
make sure that you check your bendix for the right number of teeth. i had a problem with the starter grinding. what i found that i had 97 tooth flywheel and a 9 tooth bendix . they try to tell me that it didnt make a differant , i put in a 10 tooth bendix and it start alot better.BeerBeer
dennis
dennisanvil                   1948 cj2a, maker of tailgate hooks & hand forge iron ware
there not any knowen cure for jeep fever.
serial # 164136<
muledeers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muledeers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2011 at 1:57am

Where do i get a solenoid to pull/push the starter gear onto the flywheel? How do you adapt that? Rewiring is no problem. I understand the key switch will turn the starter gear but what pushes the gear out when you get rid of the foot starter?

Roy
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2011 at 2:53pm
You do not have to change the key switch If you put a dash push button in.  You will turn the key the same way as you do now  then push the start button for the solinoid afore mentioned, or you can chsnge the ign. sw as mentioned.  This is just another option.
Forgot to mention that the grinding noise may be the starter clutch going bad,  easy fix.

Edited by p3ferris - 05 Oct. 2011 at 2:54pm
Ed
cj2a lefty
Red48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2011 at 5:02am
Part of the problem might be turning that 6 volt starter with 12 volts. I took mine to the local starter/generator shop and while they were rebulding it, I had them convert it to a 12 volt. I had the foot starter reinstalled, and it starts like a charm. Just a thought.
48 CJ2A 175088
JeepRoger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2011 at 5:02am
Roy... You'll have to re-wire the starter to work through a starting solenoid (so, instead of the main positive lead from the battery going to the foot switch and then to the starter, it will go from the battery to a solenoid and then to the starter). Then you need to replace your key switch with a newer version key switch that has a start position. This new key switch will also have a lead going to the solenoid. When you turn the key to the start function, it causes the solenoid contacts to close, which sends power to the starter. Your 6v starter should hold up fine as long as you don't need prolonged starting cycles for some reason or other. (However, if the "grinding" is because something is wrong with your starter or flywheel ring gear, changing the switch mechanism won't help.)
Roger in California
'46 CJ2A 38503
'47 CJ2A 142084
'46 T3C Bantam trailer
muledeers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muledeers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2011 at 4:44am
Hello, I have a 48 CJ2A its all stock.except is has been converted to 12V but still has the 6V starter.  I want to get rid of the foot starter, I always seem to grind the flywheel all the time when trying to start.  Is there a kit or another starter i can purchase to make it start like a newer car with a key switch turn
Thanks for your time
Roy
 Post Reply Post Reply