Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Positive Ground or Negative Ground?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Positive Ground or Negative Ground?
    Posted: 08 Oct. 2011 at 11:45pm
I have a 48 CJ2A.  It was disassembled when I bought it.  I have determined it is 6 volts, but cannot tell whether it is positive or negative ground because none of the parts were connected.  Any suggestions on how to proceed?
A bad day Jeeping
is better than a
good day working!
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2011 at 11:57pm
http://www.cj-2a.com/oldsite/elec/wiring/index.html
here's a couple of great wiring diagrams.. Bookmark it and check out Sean's other pages while you are there...
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2011 at 12:17am
It's negative ground (the diagram just says ground cable (without saying positive or negative), but if you read farther, it does identify the cable going to the start button as positive). 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
woolf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2011 at 3:33am
You could get away with hooking it up either way. When I bought my '48 it came with the positive cable connected to ground. The starter worked fine but the ammeter showed a negative current when the engine was running. I switched the cables and flashed the field on the generator to change it to a negative ground system.

See this post on the Gee.

DaveM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2011 at 4:18am
Thanks for all the information!  It is very helpful and has given me peace of mind!The diagrams are
particularly valuable.  You guys are great!

Dave
A bad day Jeeping
is better than a
good day working!
 Post Reply Post Reply