Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need help!! Why are my brakes sticking??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2011 at 3:17am
I would disassemble, clean, paint and replace worn parts and springs.  Start with good stuff and then follow the steps to adjust.  Worn and frozen parts will never work right so bite the bullet and do it right and there will be one less issue down the road.

By the way, after I rehabbed and installed my 11" cam adjusting brakes I found some latter 10" self adjusting brakes and replaced the 11" brakes.

Edited by ralf - 26 Oct. 2011 at 3:21am
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
Joshuatwatson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joshuatwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2011 at 3:52am
Ok.. So I pulled the hub.. After further inspection everything looks good.. The adjusters are all the way in the spring is strong.. When you push the brake peddle the the brakes extend.. However the brakes aren't compressing back together.. It does it on both rear wheels but the drivers side is worse.. MC and WC are new lines are free and clear (at least they were).. So I doubt that I could have 2 bad WC's.. I'm questioning the MC however the front brakes work like they should.. So I'm leaning towards the rear lines as the guilty party.. I'm going to disconnect the rear brakes tomorrow and blow the lines out if that fixes the problem then I'll replace them so it doesn't happen again.. Any other thoughts or test I should try to narrow it down?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joshuatwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2011 at 3:55am
Oh yeah.. And when I try to manually compress the brakes after the peddle has been pushed and released they won't go in.. I had to bleed the WC just to get the drum back on!! So, it's got to be either lines, new MC, or very doubtful but that both new WC's are bad.. Thoughts??
doug_g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug_g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2011 at 4:20am
I would inspect all the rear brake lines looking for a kink that keeps the fluid from returning to the master cylinder.  Also, make sure the flex line to the rear axle has not swelled.

Good luck.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joshuatwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2011 at 4:46am
Flex line??
DiverDownJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiverDownJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2011 at 3:06pm
Flex line is the little rubber, or if replaced stainless steel flexible portion of line that goes between the normal lines where the flexing of the axle takes place (between axle and frame)  It can wear out and act like a very poorly inflating balloon, expanding and contracting some.  Typically it results in weak brakes, but you never know, stranger things have happened, and it's an easy one to check.
45 MB#458536
1946 CJ2A#26624 "Wilson"
UPFFC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12