Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

16" Tires

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wurley Rancid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 16" Tires
    Posted: 02 Jan. 2012 at 9:39pm
I am looking for some new original-looking tires for my early CJ2A.  I see that Goodyear is making them but they are quite pricey.  Has anyone found any other manufacturer making original-looking tires similar to those that are less expensive?  I think they are called "pencil tread", but maybe not.  I have seen some guys running their civilian jeeps with tires that are obviously military tread.  Is this due to cost?  Any thoughts?
"Most of my money I spent on hunting, fishing, drinking and Willys jeeps. The rest I wasted."   BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER OF THE NRA
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2012 at 9:47pm
You can try  http://www.wallacewade.com/ for the tires. They sell original type tires for antique cars. I got my NDT tires there and they may have a tire like what your looking for.
cheezss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheezss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2012 at 9:49pm
48 CJ2A #212570
58 Willys Wagon
64 Willys Wagon
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2012 at 3:26pm
Check Coker tires,It's where I bought mine, 700/16 NDT and man do they look tall!!!They really fill out the wheel well. sorry I don't have the link. Sandusky
Tim H View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2012 at 3:11am
I got my civilian tires (650-16 STA Super Traction) from Universal Vintage Tires. At $144 apiece, they're a bit pricey, but they match the bias-ply style correctly. I use NDT on my '42 GPW, but not my CJ2-A.  I suspect the cost difference is driven by demand.
1942 GPW #72495
1946 CJ-2A #55800
Wurley Rancid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wurley Rancid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2012 at 9:40pm
Thanks everyone for the information on the tires.  The tread style that looks most original to me is the newest Goodyear reproduction, but they are sure pricey.
"Most of my money I spent on hunting, fishing, drinking and Willys jeeps. The rest I wasted."   BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER OF THE NRA
 Post Reply Post Reply