Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R Engstrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission
    Posted: 03 Jan. 2012 at 5:25pm
Hello
I have a 47 with about 60k miles on it.  It slips out of second gearShocked.  I looked on Walcks site and they have a transmission rebuild kit for $550, my question is this about what it costs for parts needed to rebuild?  I have never done a transmission but am willing to try, any advice is appreciated.
Thanks Dick
R Engstrom, 47 CJ2A
48 to 50 pile-o-parts
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2012 at 6:43pm
Dick,

I think that Walck's prices are generally fair, so I would be comfortable buying from him.  At the same time, you may not need everything in the kit and the kit may also not have everything that you need to correct the slipping out of gear problem if part of the problem is wear in the shifter assembly itself.  There are several points of wear that lead to the problem.  Ordinarily, if you replace the synchronizer blocking rings and the second gear itself, you will correct the problem, but without looking at everything, it is tough to tell.  I just looked at the items in the kit, and I would say that you are very unlikely to need all of those gears and shafts.   I think that with the small parts kit, the gaskets, a pair of blocking rings and a second gear, you'd be at about $100 and would cure the problem.  If you bought the $77 kit with all the bearings, small parts and gaskets, add another $51  and you'd be all set. In the absolute worst case, you'd substitute a complete synchronizer assembly for the blocking rings for another $64 (79 minus 15) and you'd still be in it for  less than $200 (79 + 58 + 56 ).  Bottom line - I would not buy the $550 kit.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2012 at 7:14pm
When I bought my Jeep it was jumping out of second gear and would not go in third above 10 mph. When I got the transmission and transfer cases rebuilt I had a total of $1178 in parts in it. 

If all your going to do is replace the blocking rings, second gear and the gasket seal kit then order those parts. However, don't be surprised if you find it needs more parts. Also, you may find that a short rebuild didn't cure the problem or other problems.

Doing it the way your planning is like having a pair of worn out shoes and just putting a new heel on one shoe.

Edited by Carlsjeep - 03 Jan. 2012 at 7:15pm
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2012 at 7:19pm
Carl,

Dick was asking about the reasonableness of the $550 rebuild kit which has all of the internal parts.  I was the one suggesting what was needed to fix the problem that he noted, jumping out of second gear.  What specific suggestions do you have for him?
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2012 at 7:24pm
Yes, that's right and I agree with not buying the kit but to tear the tranny/transfer cases down and see what it really needs. As you said he may or may not need everything in the kit or he may need more and the kit may not be cost effective.

Just jumping out of second gear is mostly caused by worn blocking rings, worn input shaft and worn second gear. Also, the possibility of to much end clearance between the input and output shafts. Everything has to be considered.

Edited by Carlsjeep - 03 Jan. 2012 at 7:27pm
R Engstrom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R Engstrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2012 at 5:17pm
Thanks for the info.  I think I pull it apart and then order what I need.
Thanks Dick
R Engstrom, 47 CJ2A
48 to 50 pile-o-parts
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2012 at 6:59pm
Whoa there!! Slow your roll a minute. A master rebuild kit is only $200 from Novak. It is a complete kit with a new 2nd gear. I redid mine with it and it worked like a charm. Is the one offered by Walcks a "kit" or is it a new box with all the guts already in it? Big difference.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2012 at 9:00pm
Here's the link for the Novak kit.

They have great "How-to" on doing the job as well, complete with pictures.

I've never had a transmission apart and I used their kit and instructions to get mine back together.

Discaimer: It's (the t-90) still sitting on the bench while I try to collect the cash to replace all the brakes and suspension stuff.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
RLF1012 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLF1012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2012 at 10:29pm
Kinda along the same line,what would cause the Hi/Lo lever in the transfer case to jump out of gear.
Thanks
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2012 at 11:06pm
Not having it all the way "in" (hate it when that happensLOL) I could be wear but not likely in that particular application. 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2012 at 11:14pm
My tranny popped out of second and was noisy in all gears. I used the Novak master kit and I'm still running good after about 5000 miles and two Colorado tours where off-road aggressive shifting is required at times.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
 Post Reply Post Reply