Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

VIN Location

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merc_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VIN Location
    Posted: 05 Jan. 2012 at 1:29pm
I am having trouble locating my VIN number; the spot of the front right frame rail has no stamped number.  I have a body number  and serial number  but need something different for Tx Dot.  There are no data plates on the left side of the fire wall.  Anywhere else I can look?

Thanks
____

1947 CJ2a
kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2012 at 1:49pm
Merc,
there might still be a tag just aft of the drivers side frame horn. Out board side, pop riveted on.
It's about 2"x1".
Hope it's still there for you!
"You know, I'm too old a bunny to get very excited about all this."
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army
France: 5 June 1944

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2012 at 2:24pm
merc_man, just for your information the drivers side is called the left side no matter from which end your looking at the vehicle. The tub tag is on the right side of the firewall looking at the firewall. When your looking at the firewall it would be on your left but is called the right side of the vehicle. 

The reason I point this out is so you will know where we are pointing to when someone gives a place to look.
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2012 at 2:39pm
If you have a serial number that begins with CJ2A that is your number.. where is it found on the jeep?

You may find it on the engine block behind the water pump....it was a common thing to title by the engine SN instead of the Jeep's SN as the firewall plates were removeable by screws.

May I suggest Robert De Ruyter's Dataplates4U to replace the missing frame rail plate before your next  Vin inspection?  A riveted plate on the driver's frame rail should do the trick, altho you could also rivet your firewall plates on. Whatever you do do not walk in there with loose plates.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2012 at 2:39pm
Sorry if I wasn't clear on the location of the tag. Just trying to make it simple.
Embarrassed
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2012 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by kilroy kilroy wrote:

Merc,
there might still be a tag just aft of the drivers side frame horn. Out board side, pop riveted on.
It's about 2"x1".
Hope it's still there for you!

Factory would have been drive rivets, not pop rivets. I don't think pop rivets came into common use till the 50's or 60's....
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2012 at 2:42pm
Embarrassed
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2012 at 8:03pm
Kilroy, I think you had the right location for the tag or stamped numbers.
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2012 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by merc_man merc_man wrote:

I am having trouble locating my VIN number; the spot of the front right frame rail has no stamped number.  I have a body number  and serial number  but need something different for Tx Dot. There are no data plates on the left side of the fire wall.
I'm confused.  You say there's no frame tag or firewall tags, yet you have a body number & serial number?  Where did you get those from?

Quote Anywhere else I can look?
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/cj2a-serial-numbers-locations_topic13957.html

Sean
OliY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OliY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 9:47pm
Dear one and all,

I recently started to bring back to life my wife's grandfathers Willys jeep which had been sat stationary, outside, for 15 or more years. Luckily at 8000ft above sea level it's condition is remarkably good considering it may be nearly 70years old!!
It didn't take much to get it running again other than installing a new battery, unblocking the fuel tank pickup line, adjusting the carb and pumping up the tires!Wink Although in my excitement to get it moving I think I must have burn the brakes out, so that's job has been added to my overhaul jobs list.

The problem is I cannot find a serial number of any kind on the frame or body work and have read several forums etc for info on where to find it. Tailgate, fender frame, firewall, dash plate etc etc.. its no where to be found, Does any one have any other suggestions on where to find it?

I'd love to get the jeep registered (once i've replaced the brakes!) but without any serial number or records of any kind i'm thinking this might be difficult if not impossible?

From the research i've done and judging by the '48' scratched into the firewall it seems like this jeep may be a 1948 CJ-2A, right?

Many Thanks

Oli

PS the original engine must have been replaced at some point for a V6

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 10:41pm
Your Jeep is a CJ-3B. The 3B's were built anywhere from 1953 thru 1961.

It has flat fenders like a 2A and 3A, but it has an F134 engine instead of the L134 engine that the earlier models had. Noticew that the hood is much higher to accommodate the overhead valve engine.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

OliY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OliY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 10:51pm
Thats amazing information! Thank you. I was just looking at screen replacements when I realised it was a 3B not a 2A.

This will definitely help when trying to find the right parts! 

Do you have any clues where I might find any serial numbers for the jeep, and other secret spots i may have missed?  
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2017 at 11:58pm
OliY, where in this great state of Colorado are you?  You will find that the Buick/Jeep V-6 is about the best engine for a Jeep anywhere--unless you're doing a true restoration.  It looks pretty good.  Enjoy!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
OliY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OliY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 12:09am
I'm in Aspen and excited to get moving with some simple restoration but i'm having issues identifying the vechicle.. VIN, engine no etc year etc so I can order parts.

I found '72764' on the upper side of right hand frame near leaf spring mount near passenger footwell

I found D 11 2 in triangular format on the side of the frame near the above number

now i'm trying to find the engine no! 

I'll get there eventually!!

Any tips or tricks would be really helpful.

Thanks for everything so far!
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 12:17am
Completely missed that it was a V-6 engine! Duh! 3B's came out with F-134 engines and I just glanced at the engine compartment photo and it didn't register.

The serial number plates would have been on the upper right side (passengers side) of the firewall. They aren't there, but you can see where they were in the photo by the paint fade around where they were.

I suggest contacting Robert at Dataplates4U.com about replacement plates matching your title. He can supply excellent reproductions of the originals with any serial number you choose. (especially one that matches your paperwork! ) He is located in the Netherlands but can get them to you in a reasonable amount of time. He did mine for the CJ-2A I have and I was impressed.

Hope this helps...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

OliY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OliY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 12:30am
Again, such useful info. The problem is is that there is zero paperwork, no plates and very few identifying marks other than those I just mentioned so I'm concerned about not being able to register the car to drive on the roads altough if Robert can make 'fake' plates then perhaps this isn't an issue?

One of my main jobs is to replace all the brakes (including emergency) and without knowing the model/year etc i'm worried about ordering the wrong parts. 

Any more clues? 
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 12:45am
Most Emergency Brake Parts are the same for civilian models all years if it is the transfer case mounted emergency brake.

Most of the 3B brake parts are the same 53 thru 64 except for wheel cylinders on the front. Some use steel brake lines to the cylinder and later model ones connect to the cylinder with a flexible brake line hose.

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2017 at 12:45am
Take off a wheel and see what the brake drum says for maximum diameter.  Go from there for buying shoes etc.  Engine number might be on the passenger side of the block on the deck surface just below the head, stamped between the back two cylinders (I may be wrong about that exact location).
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>