Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2A restomod build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1948 CJ2A restomod build
    Posted: 27 Feb. 2012 at 3:21pm

1948 CJ2A ser#173958
3a windshield
chevy 4.3
turbo 350
power steering conversion
hanging pedal conversion
painless wiring
lokar shifter
all new gauges
front disc brakes
dana 300 t case
tom woods cv shaft
dana 44 rear 3.73
dana 27 front
new body
gusseted original frame no rust at all
True dual exhaust

Edited by bkwudz - 27 Feb. 2012 at 3:32pm
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2012 at 3:23pm

bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2012 at 3:29pm
One of mods i have been chomping at the bit to do is moving the tank from under the seat to under the bed,  i have had the tank and skid i thought i needed for a while and was just waiting for the free time to install them.   Finally i was getting ready to do the swap, that was until i actually got under the jeep with this tank

even with removing the hitch support, there was no way it was going to fit, unless the moved the cross member forward, with the tub on, that would be a very hard, and would probably be an issue with the diff hitting the skid.  That tank is about 16-1\4" and then another 3\4" for the flange on each side, it was not going to fit like i hoped, so i set out to find another tank.

This is a 1978 postal jeep tank, it is exactly 15-3\4 deep with no flange to deal with.  It fit the skid i bought very well after some work to it.

To make this fit where i wanted, i had to remove the rear cross member, it was a little tweaked anyways. It will be replaced with some angle steel and a heavy duty bumper i built for an old YJ project i never used.

the bumper needs some cleaning and  paint, but it will be perfect.

Edited by bkwudz - 27 Feb. 2012 at 5:42pm
Keith.Tracy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith.Tracy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2012 at 9:37pm
cool jeep!

i thought about getting a fuel cell to insall back there too.
after many hours of trying to find the perfect tank to do it i decided to cut a sump into my original tamk to adapt the aeroquip fittings to it.

good job, love the bumper

ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2012 at 9:54pm
I see a lot of good ideas for future projects.  Thanks for sharing.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
tkelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2012 at 12:35pm
Nice project good to see this jeep again as well, agree with Keith love the bumper, now I have to build one thanks alot.
If you do not have a choice be brave.
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb. 2012 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by tkelly tkelly wrote:

Nice project good to see this jeep again as well, agree with Keith love the bumper, now I have to build one thanks alot.

Thanks, i wish i still had access to a big press/brake so i could make a matching bumper for the front.
hawkjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb. 2012 at 8:48pm
Wow nice
That is I plans to in my CJ2A wend I get around to do it.
But first I need to finish my cj3a
Every nice
cj2a 1948 155822 v6 sold

cj3a 1950 3J45548 4L MB
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2012 at 3:18pm

I should have the tank in and bumper on tomorrow.  This quick little tank project turned into all new brake lines, and redoing the wiring to the back.   It started out replacing the hack job brake lines on the rear axle,  but then i ended up just redoing all the brake line.  Bubba had put in all new line, but had them rubbing on the frame, 1/2 from the exhaust, sharp bends with kinks.etc.  

We now have all new brakelines, ridged fuel lines and all soldered and shrink wrapped electrical connections
tkelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2012 at 1:29pm
How were you planning on routing the filler neck?

bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2012 at 1:24am
Originally posted by tkelly tkelly wrote:

How were you planning on routing the filler neck?

I'm thinking a CJ filler on the pass quarter or rear above the tail light
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2012 at 10:27am

Rear tank all done, i think i am going to love all the foot room there is with the underseat tank gone

I was going to put the filler in the rear quarter, but ended up in the back, it just looked  better, and is hidden by the rear carrier.

Ended up replacing all the brakes line after i found some sketch stuff the prev owner did under there.

ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2012 at 1:24pm
I do like the bumper.  After you mentioned large press brale, I went back and looked at the picture.  What shape steel did you start with?  Was it flat stock?
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
PlacerWilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlacerWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar. 2012 at 8:34pm
Lookin Great ! Thumbs Up
~~~~~~~~~
Will
1947 CJ2a 111xxx
1947 CJ2a 88xxx(parts donor)
tkelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tkelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2012 at 12:24am
Nice, you are doing great work on this retro.
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2012 at 2:04pm

With the tank done, i moved on to fender well notch to get the seats  back and down a bit.  I can't believe how much more comfortable it is behind the seat now.    I only moved them back about 2-1/2" and down about 1 inch, but combined with the foot space from removing the under seat tank make it pretty comfortable to drive now, and I'm 6,1"

And after being down for the whole winter,  and all the messing it did with the fuel system, she started up on the first try,  although i have a slight popping sound coming from the right side exhaust i need to check out.

Edited by bkwudz - 20 Apr. 2012 at 2:43pm
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2012 at 2:06pm
i even went and got an inspection sticker without any trouble, not an easy task in Massachusetts!

Edited by bkwudz - 20 Apr. 2012 at 2:43pm
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2012 at 2:25pm
 its the little things that excite me!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>