Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2A restomod build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2012 at 9:57pm
Got the roll cage done, just need to pull it out to finish weld it and paint it.

thirtycal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thirtycal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2012 at 2:43am
What size tubing are you using? and what front seats are those?
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2012 at 11:00am
The tube is 1-3/4".   The seats are from a CJ 5, early 60's I think
thirtycal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thirtycal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2012 at 4:01pm
Ok thanks.  I noticed that you are running the mustang radiator.  How is that working out?  I have the same radiator for my 225.  Are you running the original fan on the 4.3 or an electric?
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2012 at 8:02pm
Radiator works great, mechanical fan no shroud, no heat issues at all
Kman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2012 at 2:25am
What year/engine Mustang radiator did you use?
1945 MB DOD 2-15-1945, 1946 CJ2A #32591 Pinto powered project
silverbullet72tnt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbullet72tnt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2012 at 1:04pm
lookin good!
Insert some clever signature here...
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2013 at 10:14pm
Finally putting the d30 in, with power lock, hd tierods, for once a project went off without a hitch, it dropped right in. Just need to fab some shock mounts.

It was ice having a selection of u bolts from years of projects!

Axle came with a little bling

Still need to paint the shocks and steering stabilizer

Edited by bkwudz - 16 Feb. 2013 at 10:19pm
garage gnome View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garage gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2013 at 10:47pm
Nice! Hey, did you see we are planning a trail run in the area?
Nate
1953 3A, 1949 3A, 1947 2A, 1918 IHC Titan 10-20, 1905 IHC Famous, other hit n misses
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2013 at 2:52am
Originally posted by garage gnome garage gnome wrote:

Nice! Hey, did you see we are planning a trail run in the area?
I did, I'd be up for it depending on schedule
SKT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2013 at 5:13pm

Great job w/ this build thus far!

Curious what you have planned for paint?

bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb. 2013 at 1:19am
Finally started to figure out the front driveshaft, the turbo 350 is creating all the problems.   I might be able to squeeze a 1pc shaft in, but I have to make all kinds of changes, like movig the engine and tranny over as much as I can, moving it forward and inch. And clocking the 300 way down.   And that will mean I need to make changes to the steering column and the radiator,.   And really at that point, it will still just clear the tranny pan and maybe not work anyways. And right now everything works great, so I hate to mess up something that works, especially when most of the time it will not be in 4wd.

So I fabbed up this mess and will try to squeeze it in there, if it works, I'll drop the coin and have Woods build the real deal.

bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2013 at 1:51am
Got the mount just about done for the carrier bearing, it looks like it will actually work pretty well.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garage gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2013 at 1:55am
That looks great! Are you going to stay with that setup or have Woods build one?
Nate
1953 3A, 1949 3A, 1947 2A, 1918 IHC Titan 10-20, 1905 IHC Famous, other hit n misses
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2013 at 2:07am
Woods wants about $800 for a 2pc shaft, thats not going to,happen, unless this blows up, so I'm gong to run this and see how it lasts. I' ll make a spare setup in case

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garage gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2013 at 2:08am
That's what I would do too!
Nate
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2013 at 2:13pm

So things were going so smooth with the D30 install and the 2ps front shaft, it was about time something was wrong.  In reality it was not a big deal that could be fixed with a little work, but how much better is it when it can be dealt with no work.

I go to put the front tires on to check clearance of  my new shock mounts and find that my wheel stud are going to be too short, I'm only getting about 1/4' of thread.  no big deal, ill just have to take the hubs and rotors off and put in longer studs. 

So i hit the web to find out what size and length, and wholly sh*t i find these

Extended thread lug nuts...i have never seen them.  And after some more web searching i find that they are designed exactly for my application.  Thick aluminum wheel on stock studs.   Ordered up a set and they are perfect.

The only potential issue is if the lug hole of the wheel is too small, but these fit the hole like they were made together!

I also got the 2pc front shaft all done, this Willys will have 4wd for the first time in many years

Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2013 at 3:37pm
very nice build, how are you keeping your nice jack from being stolen?
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>