Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2A restomod build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2013 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Schimms15 Schimms15 wrote:

very nice build, how are you keeping your nice jack from being stolen?

thanks, it really does not go anywhere its left unatteded too long Wink
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2013 at 6:23pm
1 more question how thick is the metal pan protecting your gas tank? 18 ga? any fear of rocks or something going through it and the tank?
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2013 at 12:31am
Originally posted by Schimms15 Schimms15 wrote:

1 more question how thick is the metal pan protecting your gas tank? 18 ga? any fear of rocks or something going through it and the tank?

I think it's 1/8, if it starts to see a lot of offraod time. Then I'll build something a little more beefy.
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2013 at 5:04pm
Out of the garage for the first time in about a year!

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2013 at 6:00pm
.....I like it! Thumbs Up....

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Luke_S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luke_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2013 at 12:01am
what does your two piece shaft consist of?
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2013 at 12:07am
Originally posted by Luke_S Luke_S wrote:

what does your two piece shaft consist of?

It's 2 shortened early CJ front shafts And a carrier bearing !
1947J@@p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947J@@p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 12:58am

I really like the fuel tank job you did, very clean looking. Got a few questions. What model and year is the filler from. What are the dimensions of the tank and where did you purchase. What was the tank skid out of? Thanks

Pete
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 2:41pm
thanks,  the filler is YJ vintage, but the hoses were modified, the tank I believe a DJ postal jeep,  not sure the year, the skid is CJ5.    It has to be one of my favorite modification to the willys,
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2013 at 7:51pm
Been driving it around a ton, and did some small projects, I installed a York compressor for OBA, with a small tank in the back.

Found a small retractable hose reel, I was able to plumb into the system

I also upgraded the electrical system, and detailed the engine a bit

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2013 at 10:44pm
Looks good!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2015 at 2:40pm
too long for an update,   not much to report,  just drove it around a lot working out the bugs.   I did remove the rear family cage, and the swing out tire carrier.  It just didn't look right, there was too much going on in back..like a mullet.Smile   And the tire/can carrier couldn't handle the weight of the tires im running anyways, so it was kind of a waste.  Looks so much better. 
And its finally getting painted.    I pulled it apart and sent it over to the shop last week.    When it goes back together it will be with painted steel wheels and stock seats I think.   Looking for more of modified stock look.

bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2015 at 12:51pm
The paint work continues,  That's the only problem with having the Tech school do the work.   Instructor says one day kids are motivated and stuff gets done...next day all they are worried about are the budding romances in shop.

the windshield frame must of had 50 different size screw and bolt holes all around the frame...they have welded up all of them.

They got the paint, so they sprayed a fender to see how I liked it.  
I loved it, but they are repainting the fender, instructor was not happy with the end result.

This is the look im going for, but with a less bright red wheel, more of a deep red.  And I think Barcelona red seats.

But what a chore trying to find 15x8 steel wheels that will clear the brakes.  I have been looking for weeks.   I finally called Wheel VIntiques,  and they will build a set of there 62 Series  15 x 8, 4" BS   CJ pattern for just under $500 to my door.
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2015 at 3:23pm
VERY cool Jeep! Love your overflow bottle. ;)
I used a pre-prohibition 4 Aces Whiskey bottle for mine....

Edited by Lemield - 27 Mar. 2015 at 3:27pm
Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2015 at 6:08pm
What did you decide to do about steel wheels?
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2015 at 6:45pm
Im painting the aluminum ones on there, flat black to see how it looks.  Probably wont use them, but  It doesn't cost anything, and the finish on 2 of the wheels was damaged.  

I also ordered a custom set from Wheel VIntiques,  plain steel 62 Series  15 x 8, 4" BS   CJ pattern
724wd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 724wd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2015 at 2:41am
Very nice project, Sir!  My daughter and I are doing something similar and it looks like you solved some problems we may encounter as well. 

What Mustang radiator is that?  We have a I-4 153 GM with both radiator outlets on the passenger side.  I saw another member run a hose across the bottom of the radiator to reach the stock lower connection, and that is certainly an option, but I take it this Mustang radiator has the outputs correctly placed for GM engines?

What prompted the carrier bearing front drive shaft?  We have a th350 slated for use and I had heard of interference issues, but yours is the first I've seen documented.  I had heard offsetting the drive train to the drivers side created clearance for a stock style drive shaft.  Is your engine mounted in the center, or was there some other issue that caused the interference?

Again, you have a very nice rig there!  I am showing my daughter what you've accomplished for inspiration!

Heath
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2015 at 3:57am
Most any radiator shop will swap the outlets to either side you need for a nominal charge. They just solder a patch over the hole after they remove the outlet or inlet.

I've had a couple done with no problems whatsoever.

Makes for a much neater installation than running hose all over the place.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>