Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2A restomod build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 724wd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2015 at 4:27am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Most any radiator shop will swap the outlets to either side you need for a nominal charge. They just solder a patch over the hole after they remove the outlet or inlet.

I've had a couple done with no problems whatsoever.

Makes for a much neater installation than running hose all over the place.

thank you Sir!  I'll look into that!  Your soldering skills must be superior to mine:  when i tried to resolder the upper outlet on the rad in my '72 chevy, it never would hold.  Even my dad, a lifelong bodyman couldn't get it to hold LOL!  But the aluminum rad from a '95 chevy pickup dropped in place with a few strategic pushes with a portapower Embarrassed
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2015 at 4:37am
My soldering skills SUCK.....but a competant radiator shop will be able to do it. Approve

(oh, and in my opinion you  have to offset the engine in a proper installation ...Willys did it, you need to do it too)

Edited by rocnroll - 28 Mar. 2015 at 4:41am
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2015 at 11:27am
Originally posted by 724wd 724wd wrote:

Very nice project, Sir!  My daughter and I are doing something similar and it looks like you solved some problems we may encounter as well. 

What Mustang radiator is that?  We have a I-4 153 GM with both radiator outlets on the passenger side.  I saw another member run a hose across the bottom of the radiator to reach the stock lower connection, and that is certainly an option, but I take it this Mustang radiator has the outputs correctly placed for GM engines?

What prompted the carrier bearing front drive shaft?  We have a th350 slated for use and I had heard of interference issues, but yours is the first I've seen documented.  I had heard offsetting the drive train to the drivers side created clearance for a stock style drive shaft.  Is your engine mounted in the center, or was there some other issue that caused the interference?

Again, you have a very nice rig there!  I am showing my daughter what you've accomplished for inspiration!

Heath

Thanks Heath, it's a 68,69 from 289,302,351. Might be the same for other years too. Both inlet And outlet are on the pass side, which is what I need for the 4.3. It mounts to the grill with a little fab work, watch engine placement, because it sits behind the crossmember, so it's tight. I'm thinking if modifying the crossmember a bit so I can mover it higher a little bit.

My driveline is moved over to the driver side as much as possible,   Steering shafts limit how far u can go. The 2pc front shaft is because of the th350 and the dana300 I am running. The d300 is clocked flat, and the rear of it lower to ease the read DS angle.   So the front DS just barely does not fit.    The carrier bearing is only off center about 1".

A lot of people run the th350 in a Willys by using the d18 tcase. With both driveshafts dropping off low and to the pass side, the whole drivetrain can be lifted high enough for the front DS to just clear the tranny pan.   But you run into other clearance issues between the engine/tranny and body, it's like fitting 10lbs of crap in a 5lb bag.   Just not a lot of room under there.
Luke_S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luke_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2015 at 5:15am
Still enjoying the build, and love the grey.Thumbs Up
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2015 at 2:38pm
Got some parts back from PAINT!   getting excited

bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2015 at 1:35pm
The 15x8 Steel wheels showed up yesterday too.  I need to pick a red to paint them, and get them to the body shop.

Very happy with them!

bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2015 at 2:34pm
Back from paint finally.

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 2:58am
Love the color. Looks good
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 1:43pm
Started putting it back together,  got the column in,  its hard working on something with nice paint...I spent years working on this,  not giving a care as to where a tool, or part fell or banged against the jeep.    Much easier that waySmile  this is stressfull

wheels are back from paint
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 2:16pm
teaser shot
DrPop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrPop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 3:58pm
Man, looking GOOD!  Motivation for me.  Hmmm...got a 3 day weekend coming up finally, I think it's time to work on the old Jeep. Wink

EDIT:  I noticed in the first post of your thread here that your Jeep tub has the same giant access hole cut out over the transmission area that mine does!  First time I have seen another CJ2A like this.
Do you know what part that larger brown cover is, or where I could get one?  I circled it in your photo.

On my Jeep that larger cover has been hacked up and tweaked, tons of holes in it, etc - maybe I could patch it up, but I can't seem to find that piece for sale in any of the catalogs or online.
Not sure if it means anything, but the underside of that piece on mine is "military" O.D. green.  The top has been re-painted black. Embarrassed
Thanks for any ideas!

Edited by DrPop - 22 May 2015 at 4:56pm
1946 CJ2A powered by Chevy 350
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 5:21pm
That piece probably won't be an easy find......it is one of the signs of an early after market tub.

The early ones weren't meant to be a specific model as much as just a good 'replacement jeep body (not designed with 'restorations ' in mind)

They were flatfender styled but had combination features such as a glove compartment sometimes and that floor piece (modeled after the M38 floor)

I don't know if anyone has ever compared them to an original M38 part so I don't know if they are interchangeable, but that would be a place to start.

I don't really look for it to be a swap though.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Doug Timme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Timme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Love the color. Looks good

I like the color as well, is it the new Jeep color called Anvil?

Doug
DrPop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrPop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 6:30pm
@Rocnroll - thank you for that info!  I didn't mean to hijack the thread, just got excited seeing that piece on someone else's CJ2A for the first time. Embarrassed  The old replica body makes perfect sense, because mine has no tailgate.
1946 CJ2A powered by Chevy 350
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 6:51pm
Some did, some didn't.

I wish somebody could make a comparison with a real M38 piece to see if it was actually usable even with a little modification because this comes up every now and then here.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 12:50am
Yes it is Anvil.

And the trans tunnel cover on mine is a mystery.   Now, my repo tub is older, I'm guessing about 15 years old now.   But I don't think all my parts are repo. I know the windsheild frsm is an original, and I think thE tranny cover is too. Because those are the only parts that came with the project that were red primer.    And the cover does not fit the tub for crap.   Way up under the dash is the worst,    

So I bet it's an original m38 cover on an old repo tub.
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2015 at 3:22pm

Slow progress after loosing a battle and way too much time to a defective master cylinder from O'Reillys Auto.  The thing just would not bleed, had to be something wrong with the seals.     I'll take part blame because I went against one of my chain parts store rules.  NEVER take the cheapest option.   It truly is cheap for a reason, but  they had it in stock and figured how could they screw up a MC.   That won't happen again.

After the MC issue, I went on to what I thought would be an easy task,  mount the grill and radiator.  They went in pretty easy, even with the lack of space there is in one of these Jeeps.   But what kicked my a$$ was the stupid felt on top of the grill.   Now I consider myself pretty handy and resourceful, there isn't usually anything I can't figure out with enough time.  But after trying to install a couple of the damn felt rivets without destroying the paint.  i had to stop and  to search the Web.

Next question is, how did these vehicles get rebuilt before the internet?   I was going about the task the complete wrong way,  I would have got it done eventually, but would have damaged half the rivets, the felt and the paint.

Anyways, after 5 minutes on the web,  I find some info, and a tool that's made for the task.  But after reading some posts, it sounds like the tool does not work that great.  Back to the web where I found a home made tool that looks to work better. 

So I bust out the welder and bam,  I have a tool built and  an half the rivets installed in half the time then I  spent trying to get one rivet in.

Not a lot of room down there

the tool that saved the day

"grill Selfie" and a beer  after victorious battle of the grill felt

bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 1:57pm
Got the tranny cooler lines in, that was a pain, but they are done much better than they were before, fenders on too.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>