Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1948 CJ2A restomod build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2016 at 2:14pm
So during the June flat fender run in NH, i struggled with high temps all day, up to 240 a few times.  The problem was lack of airflow when crawling.   It was due to my poorly designed cooling system,  too small, like 13" flex fan, no  shroud and too low on the radiator. 

The problem should be fixed, i have removed the mechanical  fan, and replaced it with a 16" electric 2 speed, high CFM  fan.  It is fully shrouded  and i have taken the tranny cooling job out of the radiator and added a external tranny cooler with it own fan.  

The bad news is i think i blew a head gasket,  i have bubbles in the radiator, im going to pickup a block tester and confirm what i suspect.

https://youtu.be/qlZtc3ndCiM

SKT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2016 at 12:36am

Any updates on this great looking Jeep?

1948 CJ-2A
Fiberglass Tub
Ford 302 (5.0)
35" BFG Mud Terrains
bkwudz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkwudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2016 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by SKT SKT wrote:

Any updates on this great looking Jeep?

Not much, fan install was a success And solved the cooling issue. Good news is I didn't blow a head gasket.   The only thing that we can think of about the weird coolent, is it was just lots of sediment and rust from the block that got steam cleaned running so hot all day.    After about the 5-6th time flushing the cooling system it started to stay clean.
SKT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2016 at 5:22pm

Good to hear!

1948 CJ-2A
Fiberglass Tub
Ford 302 (5.0)
35" BFG Mud Terrains
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567