Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parts Jeep Trail Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 33>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2012 at 1:29am
It's been a while since updating, but a little progress has been made. I shuffled leaves in the front, leaving the stiff main leaf and adding the remains of the JC Whitney pack. The front end lost 1" of ride height, but gained some movement. It will move under my weight bouncing on the front bumper.

For the rear I took the spring pack apart and removed the 3rd leaf (from top) completely and shortened the bottom leaf 2.5 inches on each end. I sourced some plastic leaf spring liners from a mail order hot-rod shop thinking it would help reduce some friction between leaves. Looks something like this:

The bottom leaf was shortened in order to provide some support to the pack and to try to make the spring more progressive. It is a little more compliant and will move under my weight bouncing on the bumper (my scientific method of measurement). This alteration only lost 3/4" of ride height. So I tried the other method of quantification: the stump climbing exercise.

Better, but not great. I guess a locker is next. Anyone have experience installing one in the 41 axle? Is a case spreader necessary? I might also experiment with giving the front springs the same treatment as the rears in hopes of getting back some lost lift.
I picked up a grille shell from a Willys wagon at a swap meet for $25 just to get the headlight buckets I never had.

You can see from the photo that they are slightly smaller that the holes in the CJ grille. Is this common knowledge? I assumed they would be all the same. It doesn't make sense from a manufacturers standpoint to make two similar but different parts. I'm still going to use them, however.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2012 at 7:10pm
So I haven't touched the jeep in months. I've been looking at the hole in the hood for years and finally got around to do something about it. I built a stand to hold the hood securely so I won't have to chase it all over the shop working on it. When I went to unbolt the hood I noticed this:

Someone (Bubba?) had lost one of the hinge bolts and decided to add an "electric bolt" instead. There was a perfectly good threaded hole under this.

Wooden stand using hood hold downs from the fenders.

It's a little warped.

It seems this jeep has a military hood going by the lack of embossed nameplate and the odd holes. There is OD green paint under the other colors on the under side of the hood. With these clues I thought how cool it would be if there were ID numbers to find under the black paint. No such discoveries were found as someone ground all the paint off to bare metal. As a plus, stripping the paint proved easy using a razor blade. I didn't intend to strip the hood at this point, but it was kinda fun and only took about 45 minutes, good use of a rainy afternoon in the shop listening to tunes.

I got some patch material and a full bottle of acetylene, next step is conjuring up old body shop skills.
48 CJ2A
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2012 at 4:11am
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

You can see from the photo that they are slightly smaller that the holes in the CJ grille. Is this common knowledge? I assumed they would be all the same. It doesn't make sense from a manufacturers standpoint to make two similar but different parts. I'm still going to use them, however.

It's because they were wrong for the wagon also....PO of the wagon must have swapped them out at some point, they aren't correct.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2012 at 6:18pm
Hi Otto

Now this is the kind of Willys CJ2A Jeep project I love to see...it is old and it looks it's age to boot....When I see a shiney flatfender I know something just isnt right about it...I love seeing the wrinkles and the rust...patina is huge in my world (I am a rat rodder)...Please keep us posted on the updates and upgrades as you along..I love this kind of Willys Jeep project.

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2012 at 12:54am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

It's because they were wrong for the wagon also....PO of the wagon must have swapped them out at some point, they aren't correct.

This seems strange to me. The buckets appear to have never been removed before. There was unfaded original paint under them, and the screws were pristine. They fit the wagon grille exactly. Hmm....mysterious.
It would be nice to have proper CJ headlights.

I'm glad you are enjoying the project Mike, this jeep may be shiny at some point- don't hold your breath though. I'm putting it together to wheel it!
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2013 at 1:51am

With the holidays out of the way and a long weekend over New Years, I finally made some jeep time. Time to tackle the hood.

OD green paint under the hood using my favorite paint stripping tool; the razor blade.

Since my selection of sheet metal tools is limited, this had to be done the old-school way. A brake and shear would make this so much easier.

Patch completed

Patch cut and tacked in.

So I fired up the torch and hammer- welded the patch in. I haven't done this since the early 80s and was curious if I still could, turns out this was the easy part. Now the hood resembles the surface of the ocean in a bad mood. It was probably foolish of me to think this was going to be quick and uncomplicated, now I've got a real project on my hands! Before starting this, I had worked out most of the dents the hood had already in it and going over it with a body file it was shaping up nicely- the corners especially. Now I'll have to pull out all of my tin-picking and panel beating tricks in order to save the hood. If not, it'll make a good toboggan or something- it was kind of a suicide mission to even attempt this but I like a good challenge.

Edited by otto - 27 Aug. 2020 at 10:09pm
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 9:18pm
January was my last post and nothing has happened to the jeep since. The never-ending bathroom remodel and rehabbing a shoulder kept me from making any forward progress on the parts jeep. I was able to address my traction issue and located a locker for the Dana 41 rear axle.

Richmond does not make these anymore (they told me they only sold like 4/yr) so I had to procure from a seller on E pay.

The disassembly went smoothly with exception of the rt axle. It wouldn't budge with the slide hammer; had to make a puller.

This made the job much easier, it walked right out with a little pressure and encouragement from the slide hammer.

Once the differential was out and disassembled, all parts looked really good except the thrust block and one thrust washer. Not sure how the washer got like that. I was able to source these small parts from R & P just a few miles away.

There is only six major parts to the Lock Rite, it's pretty simple to install in the carrier.

48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 9:34pm
The install went better than expected. I was worried it was going to be a PITA because this was being done without a case spreader. I actually got out the service manual and tried the little trick shown for re-assembly; cocking the bearing races slightly and using a mallet to drive them in. This worked much better than I thought it would and the diff was back in.

Things were going smoothly until I got to installing the drivers side axle and did not have any end play, even with adding all the extra shims on hand. I can get the axle as shown here to about .005" by pulling the bearing plate in with the bolts, but there is still about 0.050" gap in the shim stack. I'm thinking the new(er) thrust block is a little wider/thicker/not-as-worn as the original. I'll see if R & P can help out again, but that will have to wait until Tuesday. So much for getting something done during the holiday weekend.Unhappy
48 CJ2A
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 1:09am
How did you make out on your hood? The sheet metal guys would have told you to make a round edged patch instead of the easier to fit square edges, so you don't have all the warping in the corners... I haven't tried any of my holed hoods yet but I know they can be fixed......question is if I have the patience and skill to do so anymore.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 4:07am
I actually haven't touched the hood since I mistreated it so badly back in January. I'm right handed and injured my right shoulder last fall. Downward overhand motions aggravate it. I'm just now getting to the point of using it more as its healed up some. It's an excuse I know, but I'm just not looking forward to performing the amount of work to fix it.

Point well taken on the shape of the patch. I probably knew better but proceeded anyhow. In my defense, the patch was actually trapezoidal rather than square Ermm
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 12:01am
Update from yesterday's posting. I finished the install and tested my work today! I was thinking about how I just couldn't get the proper axle end play and considered that maybe I had driven the passenger side axle bearing race in too deeply. I was able to back this out using the puller device and move it outward up against the shim pack where it should be. This gave me some room to work with on the drivers side. Ended up with about .003-.004", just right. That was with all the shims I had, worked out well as I didn't need to buy any.

So I buttoned  everything up and filled with oil and had to try out my work.

This is the same stump that the jeep wouldn't climb before. Today it walked right up it and scared the crap out of me, I couldn't get the clutch in fast enough. I thought we were going to test out the roll bar.

There are many stumps in the back yard, I had to climb this one also.

This was a eye-opening experience to say the least, this works a-maze-ing. Hope everyone's Holiday weekend went as well as mine. Thumbs Up
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2013 at 3:31am
Picked these up today. They're like 85-90% tread and I got a fairly good deal on them. Gotta love CL!
Now I've got to scare up some wheels for 'em. 32x9.50x15.

48 CJ2A
buckshot View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2013 at 6:50pm
That's a cool Jeep Otto!
Keep us informed Cool
Brian in Tyler
'46 CJ-2A #14883
M416 Trailer
1938 Plymouth Pick-Up
2008 HEMI Rubicon Unlimited
2008 JK Unlimited
My Jeep photos at:

https://picasaweb.google.com/113017572186775733159/ForumPhotos
MikeC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2013 at 12:53am
Lived in Beavercreek years ago. Where bouts?
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2013 at 1:22am
Originally posted by MikeC MikeC wrote:

Lived in Beavercreek years ago. Where bouts?

I live about a mile from the store/tavern/gas station. It's officially referred to as a "hamlet" now.

Still searching out wheels. What I'm looking for is plain steel wheels. I have a 15 X 6 reversed wheel that came off a Ford PU my parents had when I was a child and torched out the center to fit over the jeep's front hub. This wheel has 3" of backspacing and when installed on the front, the turning range can be maintained the same as the existing wheel/tire combo. 

The swampers stick out about 1.5" when mounted on this wheel which I don't like. If I use a wheel with more backspacing, the turning radius will suffer. Looks like some kind of compromise is in order.  
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2013 at 3:55am
I haven't touched the jeep all summer, didn't even really drive it around the property. But now that the house projects are winding down I found some time to work on at least one non-house task. I pulled the hardtop off for the first time with the intention of painting it. It wasn't in bad shape, but it was black and the paint was deteriorating. Someone had adorned the top with pinstriping and water decals which had caused rust to form underneath.

Just like the paint on the hood, adhesion was poor and I was able to strip the bulk of it with a razor blade.

I disassembled the top pieces and took them outside to sandblast the nooks and crannies and rusty spots-dirty work! It cleaned up pretty good and there was only a few pinholes to weld up and some dents to fix. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to have to do this again so I bought some epoxy primer to cover all the bare steel I worked so hard to reveal.

$113! But well worth it. I also etched the metal prior to priming with Ospho just to make sure everything was going to stick.

All the top parts and the jeep's grille got covered with epoxy primer and the outside of the top got a couple of heavy coats of hi-build primer. 

After blowing some color around the edges of the top, I found some 3/4" foam insulation that fit nicely under the bracing. I was able to mix together three different white paints that were left over from other project, so at least I didn't have to buy paint. I love it when little things like that happen.

Dark photo of headliner material I found at home center. 1/8" hardboard with white coating. Now I just have to make some time to wetsand the other side and paint.
48 CJ2A
zooke581 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zooke581 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2013 at 4:04am
Looking good.  Glad you found some time to work on it.
General William C. Lee Chapter of the 101st Airborne Division Association. B Btry 1/321 FA 76-78

http://va101stairborne.com
http://sundialmotosports.com
http://kalamals.com
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2013 at 11:35pm
Took advantage of maybe one of our last 70 degree days and sprayed some paint on the top.

I combined the contents from 3 different leftover shades of white and came up with a sprayable quart, which I stretched like never before. The shop isn't really clean enough for painting, so there was a little dirt in it (and a couple of bugs).

Now I just have to "worry" it back together and get it back on the jeep.

48 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 33>