Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parts Jeep Trail Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 34>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2014 at 11:30am
The mushroom is a precleaner. The sticker said something like'leave attached to air cleaner for regular operation. Transfer to top of air inlet for underwater operation'. Not the exact words but that's the flavor.
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2014 at 5:09am
I haven't been able to locate a proper hood for the jeep so I'm going to try and fix the patched one for now. Tonight I put the hood on the stand and started working it. I put a little stretch down the middle to straighten the center flange.

I don't have high hopes for this but if it can sit on the fenders squarely, I'll call it a victory. It may not show in this photo but it's really f*&%ed up. I only spent 30 -40 minutes working on it and my arms and shoulders were feeling it, I can't believe I used to do this all day long.Dead  Laying a straight edge along the crown on the passenger side revealed a high spot so I'm trying to bring that down and move that metal towards the roller coaster area towards the middle.

Edited by otto - 27 Aug. 2020 at 10:27pm
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2014 at 6:08am
I have similar work to do on my hood. It was holed by some previous owner, then patched by a more recent one. The patch is buried under almost 3/4 inch of bondo and it's still not smooth. 

Good luck!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2014 at 4:35am
Originally posted by Tom in RI Tom in RI wrote:

The mushroom is a precleaner. The sticker said something like'leave attached to air cleaner for regular operation. Transfer to top of air inlet for underwater operation'. Not the exact words but that's the flavor.

Good to know, thanks.  Are the stickers reproduced? That would be fun to put back on.

I made a little headway on my hood. I've been spending an hour or so the last few evenings working on it and have gotten the drivers side roughed back into shape and holding without the oil-can boing-boings. The other side is still fighting me. Never in my body shop career did I work on anything with this thick of sheet metal. Once I got past the mental block of thinking it couldn't be fixed, progress is being made although it will never be really nice, or EVER see shiny paint. 
48 CJ2A
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2014 at 1:12pm
The sticker is available in reproduction for the M38. PM me. I might have a spare in the parts bin.
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2014 at 3:18am
I've been doing battle with the hood in fits and spurts over the last few months and it's come a long way. It's at a point that I'm going to call it a day with the metal working and apply filler. I had to re-learn some long forgotten metal working skills and tricks. The thick metal has almost been a treat to work; most of my experience was with paper thin sheet metal on modern cars- well, modern cars of the 90's. A straight edge laid on the hood front to back reveals only about an 1/8" low spot anywhere so I'm calling it good!

It took a few shrinks to get the metal to where it needed to be.

Finished the day in 36 grit, the high spots are just starting to show so I'll move on to 80 grit once the other side is roughed out. It's looking (and feeling) better than I ever thought it might. I'm done for the day, my shoulders are tired!

In between procrastinating on fixing the hood, I modified a repo carb horn to fit the Monojet. Just had to open up the carburetor opening to fit. Now all I need is some 2" ID hose to join this to the air cleaner.

Edited by otto - 22 June 2014 at 3:26am
48 CJ2A
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2014 at 11:26pm
that hood's looking good! Nice to see someone taking the time to fix old steel instead of just tossing it for a repo.
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2014 at 4:07am
I'm prepping parts for paint and have always wondered about these braided strap remnants. What purpose do they serve? Why are there two of them?

48 CJ2A
early 46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote early 46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2014 at 1:17pm
Grounding straps because it's a ww2 jeep hood. Everything on those was grounded with those straps
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2014 at 2:55am
The hood back where it's supposed to be.

Because this is a military hood there were some extra holes; I filled them with the windshield hold downs for a military jeep. They won't be used, just ornamental.

Sandblasted, painted, and welded some new hinges to the toolbox lid. Now the big hole in the floor can be closed up.

48 CJ2A
DrPop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrPop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2014 at 4:29am
You did a FINE job on that hood!  Amazing work, wish I knew how to work metal like that. Thumbs Up
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2014 at 4:35pm
Thanks Dr. It was a lot of work, it took a long time and I don't think I'll be doing it again! Please note that it's painted a satin finish; that's intentional- it's not perfect. 
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2014 at 4:22am
I've started to modify the left rear wheel house to be able to set the driver's seat further back so all 6' 3" of me will fit. Even with the driver's seatback cushion removed it's still tight for me and I have to constantly be lifting up on my right foot when on the gas pedal. The inside of the tub is coated with tar or a very tar-like substance; and it's thick. Just add some gravel and heat and you've got material suitable for paving.  Sometimes parts of it will chip off clean but mostly it has been a bear to remove.

On the plus side there is perfectly preserved Luzon Red paint underneath. A little solvent and compound and it shines up nicely.

I've got the corner removed and have sectioned 2" out of the wheel house. The tub has the tar coating inside of the wheel house also so the corner is soaking in the solvent tank overnight in hopes that the tar will come off easier. This might be the last of the jeep projects for a while as I've sold the house and shop. I should be able to get this done before moving though.
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2014 at 12:15am
Follow up from yesterday- created some panels that make up the section removed from the wheelhouse and tacked 'em in. Welding gas was almost out so this was the progress for the day.

Should be able to weld most of this from outside the cab, don't want to spark up the paint and headliner inside the top.
48 CJ2A
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2014 at 12:27am
Originally posted by early 46 early 46 wrote:

Grounding straps because it's a ww2 jeep hood. Everything on those was grounded with those straps

Good to know, thanks. Why ground the hood?
48 CJ2A
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2014 at 12:53am
Otto, the grounding was done to provide radio static supression. Later they found all they needed was a capacitor. Back in the days of tubes and capacitors things were done differently.  The history of the WW2 Jeep is very amazing and deep. be careful or you'll get interested in them---LOL John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2014 at 3:38am
I did pretty much the same cut but took out 3 inches from mine. I am over 6'1"

For my seat I had another drivers seat that previous owners cut the back off and the mounting legs were rusty. So I cut a 3 inch section from that, cut my stock seat frame and welded the other piece in.

Good luck with the move, if you were closer I'd offer to help.
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2014 at 5:01am
Nice work Dennis, I hope you made this modification before your cross country trip! I only cut a 2" section out because the jeep has fairly large tires and they already rub. I also remove the driver's seat back cushion for more leg room.
48 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 34>