Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Other Trailers Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

is this a SPEN trailer?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndrtkr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2012 at 12:07am
There are two different wheels that resemble yours.  Early cj2a's (45-46) had the solid type wheels.  The Willys slat grills (WW II era) also had the solid disc type wheel but with a different shoulder design.  They appear the same from the pic you posted, but looking at the inside shoulders reveal a 90/90 degree pitch (Slat Grill MB) or a 90/45 pitched shoulder (early 2a).  If it is a slat grill MB wheel it could be worth $200-$250 as it appears to be in good shape.  An early 2a solid disc rim would be worth far less @ $75-$100 in same condition.  Hope this sheds some light on the value for you.
    .....Dead
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid"- John Wayne
RECON-ERN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RECON-ERN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2012 at 12:53am
heres the inside. 90/90 or 90/45 ?
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2012 at 1:38am
looks 90/90 to me

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
ndrtkr View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndrtkr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2012 at 3:08am
Originally posted by russnj russnj wrote:

looks 90/90 to me
I concur....If you anticipate selling, my advice would be to offer it on the G for the slat grill guys.  Dead

Edited by ndrtkr - 29 Mar. 2012 at 3:09am
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2012 at 3:09am
Originally posted by ndrtkr ndrtkr wrote:

There are two different wheels that resemble yours.  Early cj2a's (45-46) had the solid type wheels.  The Willys slat grills (WW II era) also had the solid disc type wheel but with a different shoulder design.  They appear the same from the pic you posted, but looking at the inside shoulders reveal a 90/90 degree pitch (Slat Grill MB) or a 90/45 pitched shoulder (early 2a)...........

Can't say that I agree with all this. I have at least 5 solid wheels , civilian, that are 90/90:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/wheel-types_topic3012_post176574.html#176574

I have also seen civi wheels that are 90/45, but all the ones that I've owned are 90/90. As far as I know, you can identify a CJ solid wheel by measuring the wheels width. CJs are 4-1/2 wide where the MB slat wheels are 4" wide. If you look on the inside of the wheel close to the valve stem hole, you will hopefully see a date stamped in the wheel along with the "KH" initials.

If the wheel turns out to be a civilian "4-1/2" wide, and you are selling it for $100, I'll take dibs   
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
ndrtkr View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndrtkr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2012 at 1:06pm
Jpet could be correct.   I can't argue my statement with certainty, so allow me to rephrase.  The slat grill guys consider the 90/90 pitch shoulder correct for their application.  Obviously there are others.  Without doubt, a stamped date of production would clear the matter up.    Dead
RECON-ERN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RECON-ERN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2012 at 10:03pm
HI guys ~ i did not find any markings on the inside of the rims. I went through it with a wire brush and a good set of sniper eyes.

a new set of NDT's just arrived in the mail via UPS - excited to get em on. Tongue

Edited by RECON-ERN - 29 Mar. 2012 at 10:04pm
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2012 at 10:12pm
Before mounting the tires, check to see how wide the wheels are (inside flanges)
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

RECON-ERN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RECON-ERN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2012 at 7:49pm
ooopppsss.... going to have to take em off later, when i get ready to put them on ebay. right now I want to get the cyborg rolling. I bought this so i can use it for little league practice. I manage a team and the kids/ I love my cj2a. The trailer is going to look way cool. haha 
LOL.Just put these tires on and wire wheeled off the old nasty yellow paint. put some new lights and wire. it's street legal now.  

Edited by RECON-ERN - 30 Mar. 2012 at 7:52pm
brian151 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brian151 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr. 2012 at 10:33pm
 I have the same trailer. Identical. The title from illinois says 1947 Jeep, I know that's not right. I rebuilt it and painted it to match my Jeep Wrangler, But still don't know what it is. I have seen one other on the net, and the owner had no idea either. So they it is not one of a kind or modified. All three of the wheels have HB stamped on the outside.
Brian
uglyjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2012 at 3:47am
Those are really interesting trailers, I would sure like to see details of the springs, and spring mounts, frame rails, and the coupler.   I'd also like to know close the hubs and axle are to Bantam parts.

A company named Knox made a knock-off of the Bantam design, I seem to remember them with the lower tailgate like these trailers, but one of them I had seen also had Knox embossed in the front panel.  I wish I could find the pictures I saved of them, I saw one on ebay a couple years back.

Keep us posted with what you find out!

Daniel
RECON-ERN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RECON-ERN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2012 at 11:21pm
Wow ! pretty cool. The plot thickens. I got some time tomorrow. I'll be able to work on the trailer. I'll be taking pictures of the whole underside for you guys.
uglyjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2012 at 3:34am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Originally posted by ndrtkr ndrtkr wrote:

There are two different wheels that resemble yours.  Early cj2a's (45-46) had the solid type wheels.  The Willys slat grills (WW II era) also had the solid disc type wheel but with a different shoulder design.  They appear the same from the pic you posted, but looking at the inside shoulders reveal a 90/90 degree pitch (Slat Grill MB) or a 90/45 pitched shoulder (early 2a)...........

Can't say that I agree with all this. I have at least 5 solid wheels , civilian, that are 90/90:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/wheel-types_topic3012_post176574.html#176574

I have also seen civi wheels that are 90/45, but all the ones that I've owned are 90/90. As far as I know, you can identify a CJ solid wheel by measuring the wheels width.

I am going to have to agree with Jeff on this one, and I have some solid proof to back his claim that you cannot tell a CJ2A vs. Slat MB solid wheel by 90/90 or 90/45 construction alone.  I have just dismantled CJ2A number 17212, and it has three solid wheels on it, of two different types, the 90/90 and the 90/45, and all three have the original Sunset Red paint with the black pin striping.  I have yet the pull the tires, but I will follow up with width measurement when I am able... but at least we know that 2A solid wheels were offered in more than one construction type.

Daniel
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr. 2012 at 10:56am
Originally posted by uglyjeep uglyjeep wrote:

I have just dismantled CJ2A number 17212, and it has three solid wheels on it, of two different types, the 90/90 and the 90/45, and all three have the original Sunset Red paint with the black pin striping. 

17212. ... There's another one. I have a theory that Willys had a batch of solid wheels when they were building 17XXX - 18XXX. I have seen more early 46 2As in this number span with likely original solid wheels than I have seen on '45s.....   The database indicates this as well.

Edit: I think 17212's information might be worth adding to the database

Edited by jpet - 05 Apr. 2012 at 11:02am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

RECON-ERN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RECON-ERN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2012 at 3:11pm

when i first brought back my cj2a back from the grave - the back end was all busted up and bent. I had to cut off the hitch and bend back the back end.

RECON-ERN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RECON-ERN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2012 at 3:15pm

ended up doing a reg common jeep bumper - because i wanted to have a place for my PH License plate. so - i wanted to keep that plate; i ended up fabricating a hitch that comes out easy and won't see if you do not have the trailer hitch on. and my plate stays where it is.

Edited by RECON-ERN - 30 July 2012 at 10:52pm
RECON-ERN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RECON-ERN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2012 at 3:19pm
cyborg and my cj2a went to our first little league practice. loaded all the baseball gear in the back. seems as though it was meant to be. haha... who needs a golf cart when you can have a willys cj2a!

Edited by RECON-ERN - 30 July 2012 at 10:53pm
RECON-ERN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RECON-ERN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2012 at 3:22pm
heres the pictures from underneath.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>