Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Other Trailers Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

is this a SPEN trailer?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RECON-ERN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2012 at 3:22pm
RECON-ERN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RECON-ERN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2012 at 3:23pm
uglyjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2012 at 3:42pm
Interesting, the brakes & axle look similar to WWII Bantam or M100 style, and that frame looks well built.   There also looks to be some sort of bracket under the coupler, maybe for a type of landing leg. 

uglyjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglyjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2012 at 5:35am
Here is a style of trailer that is close to yours in body style, but has a different set of hubs along with other details.  It is hard to tell how similar it is to yours from the smaller photos on the site, but scroll half way down the page to post #9....they call it a Willys Jeep Utility Trailer.

military type trailer page

Not sure if it helps, but I will keep my eyes peeled for more information...

Daniel
RECON-ERN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RECON-ERN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2012 at 10:47pm
I WENT TO A LOCAL CAR SHOW WITH MY JEEP AND TRAILER THIS LAST WEEKEND; A PERSON THERE IN MY CLUB www.iemvpa.com TOLD ME HE KNEW EXACTLY WHAT IT IS. HE SAID IT WAS A WILLYS CJ2A TRAILER... BUT SEARS BOUGHT IT AND IT'S TAILGATE WAS THEN MODIFIED BY SEARS - THEN SEARS SOLD IT TO THE PUBLIC IN THEIR CATALOG ~ UNTIL THEY SOLD OUT... he sounded very sure of himself. he had a jeep too. he said he has one as well... going to hook up at his shop this week. will post another pic of his TRAILER as well.

Edited by RECON-ERN - 30 July 2012 at 11:06pm
jeepnut48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepnut48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2013 at 5:04pm

Is'nt that a Bantam axle?

cj2a51-10
fosterjd79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fosterjd79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2014 at 10:50pm

I know this thread is dead but I found it researching a trailer I found for sale (same as this cyborg).  It's a Converto Mfg civilian trailer.  Pretty rare from what I can tell since I can't find much.  Converto also made a WWII dump trailer that is more popular.  This one was made to compete with Sears and Bantam civilian trailers.

EDIT:  It is a cyborg but from the pics it looks like the box and frame of a converto to me.

Edited by fosterjd79 - 13 Apr. 2014 at 11:00pm
drew46cj2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drew46cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2015 at 11:00pm
Looks like mine except i have 6 lug and square axle
l
I have posted as what is this on other trailers
m casey stock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m casey stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2015 at 5:54pm
Since I wasn't the one who awakened this sleeping thread, I don't feel too bad. My post is related. I have one of these too and also have no clue. Has anyone figured this out? below is a picture of mine. Look the hitch is just like yours! My axle is a 1/4 ton square tube like you would see under a SPEN trailer built in the 1940's and I think it has always been there. I have made no major mods to it, but it didn't look this good when I got it, I paid $75.00 for it if that gives you an idea of how it must have looked (sorry no pictures) I feel someone must have changed out the fenders along the way because I have yet to see another military style trailer with ones like it.

m casey stock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m casey stock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2015 at 5:57pm
This is a picture of an axle just like mine and it is from under a SPEN type "S"

Edited by m casey stock - 16 Apr. 2015 at 7:05pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123