Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

6 volt horn on 12 volt system

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiverDownJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6 volt horn on 12 volt system
    Posted: 05 Mar. 2012 at 8:37pm
So I found a great condition 6 volt autolite horn (with the long trumpet) at a local antique shop.  The price is right, and I was wondering what strength of resistor would be necessary in order to run it on a 12 volt system?  Also, I would like to know what amperage the resistor should be.  Mainly I don't want to cook a horn that looks as though it may be NOS.
45 MB#458536
1946 CJ2A#26624 "Wilson"
UPFFC
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar. 2012 at 11:18pm
You can measure the amp draw of the horn with a 6v battery and then measure the resistance of the horn coil and get a resistor that matches the ohms and the watts of the horn on 6v and be pretty close to a safe working system.
Life is only as good as you make it.
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2012 at 12:02am
When measuring amp draw, you will get about 1/2 of the actual amperage of the horn since the contacts are opening and closing, that is if the horn is properly adjusted. On original horn the reading while operating is about 5 amps. With the points closed it would draw about 10 amps.
BOULDER 48 2A
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2012 at 1:09am
Originally posted by DiverDownJames DiverDownJames wrote:

So I found a great condition 6 volt autolite horn (with the long trumpet) at a local antique shop.  The price is right, and I was wondering what strength of resistor would be necessary in order to run it on a 12 volt system?  Also, I would like to know what amperage the resistor should be...
If it's stock HA model horn, and based on Autolite specs, 0.7-.75 ohms  30 watts minimum (more is better).

Is there a model number stamp on the mating flanges?

Sean
DiverDownJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiverDownJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2012 at 7:16pm
Sean, I will inform when I pick up the horn.  Gotta wait until payday, but the shop owner is going to hold it for me until then.
45 MB#458536
1946 CJ2A#26624 "Wilson"
UPFFC
 Post Reply Post Reply