Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Head gasket

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qipp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Head gasket
    Posted: 16 Mar. 2012 at 1:49am

It's been so long since I changed a head gasket I forgotten if you use gasket sealer or install it dry. I think I've installed them with gun grease in the past on Model T's

Gordon
48 cj2a 152642
Bantam T3-C 4297
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2012 at 2:18am
OldSalt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSalt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2012 at 2:26am
Different manufacturers have different proceedures for their gaskets.  Some gaskets come with sealant already on them.  You should follow the instructions that come with the gasket you buy.
Qipp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qipp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2012 at 11:47am
Thanks guys, I fogot about the permetex spray.
I've always preferred using the copper gaskets but they have gotten expensive, are there disavantages to the composition gasket?
Gordon
48 cj2a 152642
Bantam T3-C 4297
VINTAGE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VINTAGE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2012 at 5:25pm

Good Question, Gordon. I was looking on this site for this answer. I had my head shaved/sanded and immediately after rebuild the gasket leaked now I'm replacing it for the second time, can anyone tell us what would be a better route to replace it with. Or can we all expect 30-50 miles from a gasket, if so their is a real cheap jeep for sale!!!!

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2012 at 6:28pm
I have not had to replace my gasket yet.  On Ebay, the first link claims he has NOS gaskets, doesn't tell us the composition.

The next link show an aluminum gasket. 

I don't know if this is helpful.  I wish you both luck

Tim
tfrazer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfrazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2012 at 6:41pm
I have had realy good luck with the permatex spray on composition gaskets. so thats my vote for what its worth.
Ted
46 CJ2a
VINTAGE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VINTAGE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2012 at 12:54am
"permatex spray on composition gaskets" Ted, Please tell me more. Where can you get this and how do you apply it. Or what might I have done wrong with the first application, I followed the directions to the tee from a Walk's rebuild kit.

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2012 at 2:06pm
Roy/ Vintage,

I know you asked Ted, but I thought I might chime in.  In this thread, above, I posted a link for the copper spray.  It is available at most good auto parts stores, including chains like Napa, Autozone, etc...

I don't know what your process was on your first attempt that failed, but did you torque to spec, get it warmed up real good, then re-torque?

Tim
VINTAGE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VINTAGE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2012 at 3:35pm

No Tim I didn't. I prepared the head and coated the bottom like the ins. said and torqued to specs. But I don't remember tightening again. It was almost a year before I started the jeep because I did the frame engine and drive train in Florida, then had to move to Pa and did the body and electric here. It took awhile before I could get it running. Funny thing I did all that work and could not get it to electronically to start, then remembered dumb %^& it has a fiberglass body. I forgot a ground.

Since I got an expert on line I'd like to ask, would you spend the time and money to have hard valve seats installed wile I have it apart again, I get this in my mind and can't let it go so nothing gets done and its getting WILLYs time...
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar. 2012 at 3:55pm
The proper procedure is to torque the head to specs in the sequence specified by the mfg, run the engine up to normal op temp, shut it off, let it cool, and then re-torque it to specs again using the specified sequence. It's very important to do the re-torque.

I prefer composite head gaskets, with additional sealer. The better head gaskets can have a top and a bottom so be sure of what you have before installing. If you put it on upside down it likely will fail and leak.

Illustration courtesy Wes Knettle

Larry
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2012 at 4:28pm
Roy,
I am far from a pro.  I would refer you to Rocketeer, Sean and many others.  I just know what I read. 
I will offer an opinion on the hardened seats. If there is something that is normally difficult to get at, and you suspect a problem, while it's open for other issues, do the additional items.

For me, all factors are considered, but if you have really good compression and don't drive it 20,000 miles a year, slip on the new gasket, torque to specs, and drive that baby!

Tim
VINTAGE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VINTAGE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar. 2012 at 4:42pm
Thanks Tim, I'll take your advice.
 Post Reply Post Reply