Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transfer case to E brake problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
SKMZeiders View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKMZeiders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transfer case to E brake problem
    Posted: 13 July 2012 at 12:10am
my dad bought the e-brake and drum years ago and supposedly the pull handle but it has grown legs over the last 30 year. This e-brake situation all started when dad got a fix it ticket because there was no e-brake and got it written off by showing he bought one but never installed it.

most of this jeep came assembled but with parts needing minor to major attention but running and a few parts in the milk crate as someone referenced earlier.

I hope to have this thing running by spring and finished by Christmas 2013. Right now it is big hopes and small pocket book.
Steve

www.facebook.com/album.php?id=1119411819&aid=2104651

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKMZeiders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2012 at 12:04am
Part #5 is the the problem, and you guys have nailed down my dilemma, now to figure a way to solve that dilemma. The casting number as best I can make out under the dirt and grime on the transfer case is 18-1518.
Steve

mullen46cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mullen46cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2012 at 5:50pm
Sounds like you need item #5 - I "think" you can trade it out with the "end" you have now, but not 100% positive.  I sold a complete e-brake to a member recently that was in same predicament as you.
Maybe he will let us know the results of his installation.
Bruce Mullen   Harrisville, WV       

46 CJ2A column shift SOLD 07-15
48 CJ2A with Newgren lift
55 CJ5

Harveynailbanger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harveynailbanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2012 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by rocketeer rocketeer wrote:

Originally posted by Harveynailbanger Harveynailbanger wrote:

terry sounds like he has the brake assy, just needs the "tail piece" and the correct bolts.

Rick

Not all later T/Cs will accept the earlier tailpiece. Numbers off the casting would help in IDing exactly what he has before he invests in parts that may not fit.

Larry

thanks Larry, I must've got lucky for a change on that one!
learn something new everyday.

that would make sense as there is one bolt that is tailpiece only and then three bolts that do the tail piece and backing plate then one that does backing plate only as i recall i scratched my head a bit beacause this was all in a milk crate when i got mine.

I used to like puzzles and brain teazers, now im gettin old and cranky and short on patience it seems.

Rick
if the grass is greener on the other side, try waterin your grass.
"I hope I'm half the person that my dogs think I am"
I only do what the voices in my toolbox tell me to.
46 CJ2A 71804

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKMZeiders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2012 at 4:05pm
I will check this afternoon on the ID numbers for the transfer case. Some of the little problems when inheriting a jeep from dad that someone else swapped the engine and Bubbafied several things cause they thought it would be better. I have the e-brake and drum but not all the connecting parts. I will take a picture of what I have and post it.
Steve

rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2012 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by Harveynailbanger Harveynailbanger wrote:

terry sounds like he has the brake assy, just needs the "tail piece" and the correct bolts.

Rick

Not all later T/Cs will accept the earlier tailpiece. Numbers off the casting would help in IDing exactly what he has before he invests in parts that may not fit.

Larry

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harveynailbanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2012 at 3:09pm

Rick
46 CJ2A 71804
Terry Fairchild View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Fairchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2012 at 12:06pm
I have quite a few  transfer cases with complete emergency brake assemblies. I can sell you the whole assembly, with the correct part to mount on the D-18 transfer case for $150.00 + shipping.
Thanks
Terry Fairchild
48 CJ 2 W/ 2300 Ranger engine
53 CJ3B
55 Pickup
62 Wagon W/258 AMC engine
67 CJ5 V-6
51 Ford F1 w/ 3.0 Ford V6
69 Jeepster Commando
72 MGB
65 Cobra replica
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2012 at 4:09am
it uses brakes out of the rear axle. no trans brake
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2012 at 4:08am
heres my 51 truck t case and tranny.
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harveynailbanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2012 at 4:02am
got a pic?

i have a donor t/c that didnt have any provision for an ebrake and was told it came out of a truck. (never confirmed) i just swapped out the correct parts. but as i recall i had switch up some shims as my speedo gear wouldnt turn.

Rick
46 CJ2A 71804
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2012 at 12:35am
It sounds like maybe you've got a T/C from a later model jeep that had the e-brakes on the rear wheels, not the T/C. In that case it's possible you won't find a piece that fits. You'll need to get numbers off the T/C so it can be researched.

Larry

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKMZeiders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2012 at 12:13am
Gots a question I have been pulling my hair out on. I am trying to install the e-brake drum plate to the back of the transfer case. Problem is the correct "transfer case rear end retainer" is not on my transfer case. Mine has brackets that don't allow a flush mount. I am looking for the proper "rear end retainer", "tail housing" or what ever you may call it as I have seen it referenced to in the service manual. CAN I GET SOME HELP? where can I find one. I am running a 1952 CJ3A with a '65 Buick V6 on a T-90 tranny.
Steve

Post Reply Post Reply