Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clutch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hickory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clutch
    Posted: 10 Sep. 2012 at 11:52pm
I have 1947 CJ2A.  I was trying to adjust the free play in the clutch linkage and now I have no working clutch.
It seems as if something in the bell housing has come lose. Looking at the picture in the operators manual it looks like a pin and clevis configuration.  Is this correct or is it connected some other way?  Didn't notice a inspection plate any where, how do you get in there to look around?
It has definitely come lose in there because the clutch goes down with no resistance whatsoever.
Thanks at lot for looking.
Hickory
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2012 at 11:57pm
The inspection plate is on top of the bell housing.
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2012 at 12:03am
X2 what SP said, the clevis and pin are on the operating arm of the bellcrank, inside the bellhousing the cable has a ball(left end of #3 in the picture below) on the end that fits into the release arm(#4). The inspection cover is accessed by removing the tin pan around the shifter. http://www.cj-2a.com/parts_list/illustrations/47/fig-12xl.jpg

Edited by bkreutz - 11 Sep. 2012 at 12:04am
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2012 at 2:05am
Before you take it all apart, take a flashlight and follow the cable in through the hole it goes through. You can loosen the cable, re-hook the ball, tighten the cable and adjust the clutch freeplay. I've done it that way before. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
hickory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hickory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2012 at 8:32pm
Thanks for the replys. Oilleaker1 I tried what you suggested but  don't have an eye in the top of my fore head. If the body was off that would probably work. LOL

I took off the transmission cover and then the inspection plate. Can't really see in there either. When I laid a trouble light on the inspection hole then got under the Jeep  I could see thru the hole from an angle. I saw the slot in the end of the lever control arm. I got the cable end in the arm and put the pin in but the lever arm comes to far back before releasing the clutch.

Think I have more significant problems and will have to dig deeper.

bkreutz thanks for the link to the illustration it helped alot.

Will park it until I have more time to devote to it.
Hickory
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2012 at 12:12am
There is supposed to be a small return spring on the right side of the throwout bearing carrier. If it broke or is missing, the fork could come forward enough to drop out the ball the fork pivots on. Yes, you better get that sorted before you start the engine.  Small hands are a big plus in there. I'm not fond of that exerciseDead . John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
 Post Reply Post Reply