Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

pinewood derby jeep

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all4jpn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pinewood derby jeep
    Posted: 26 Nov. 2012 at 8:06pm
46 cj/06 lj/ and mb/2a/38 hybrid project
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2012 at 8:16pm
That is way too cool! Evidently done by a dad who was traumatized as a child because he actually "made" his own car without Dad's help. I know this for a fact since I unwittenly built my own as a young scout only to be picked on unmercifully by the other scouts  because mine looked like I made it. Everyone else had dad help them-----er..... ..had Dad do it.....
My only regret was making my kids cars when they were scouts.....they won all the awards...but the funny thing was it sent the wrong message...................................damn it!Ouch
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2012 at 8:28pm
I see a new event for the Reunions. Big smile

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
HillBillE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HillBillE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2012 at 8:52pm
That is so cool!  My youngest son and I are building some derby cars right now, I know what mine will be!!

He's not in the Scouts, we just picked them up as a winter fun project.
5 Jeeps, 4 HAM radios, and not enough things that go 'BANG!' (no, not hammers!)

N1CJP

'47 CJ2A #112146

'46 CJ2A #23754

'52 CJ3A #452-GB1-10197
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2012 at 10:10pm
Dad helped me make them but I never got to use the band saw. I was bummed we never won the uh guys watching the weight boxes were pretty lax and most kids who won ended up with way more weight on there cars.
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen
WRMorrison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRMorrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2012 at 10:59pm
Very cool idea!  We've got our first derby coming up in a couple of months, and they have a category (just for grins) for dad-completed cars after the kids race.  I think I'll do something like this for mine (but I'll cut it on the CNC mill...LOL).

As for my son's car, I'll cut the basic shape on the bandsaw, but he'll be doing the rest.

-WRM
garage gnome View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garage gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2012 at 12:09am
Cool! That requires skills I don't have though... Unhappy I'm not good with wood at all!
Nate
1953 3A, 1949 3A, 1947 2A, 1918 IHC Titan 10-20, 1905 IHC Famous, other hit n misses
Haines Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2012 at 12:45am
My son and I did this one about 8 years ago. It won 1st Place for design, but didn't place in the race. We also did an Orange County Chopper, and a Doc Ock, and Spiderman Bus fight thing. Those are tucked away in my sons memory box with the 1st place in design trophies. He actually did help me Embarrassed build these. My Dad built mine for me in the early 70,s. I won every time in the race. It had to do with a melted lead fishing weight in the front, straight pinned wheels, and Graphite as a lube. Funny this Pinewood Derby thing...we all seem to rememberThumbs Up
Joshuatwatson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joshuatwatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2012 at 12:58am
Cool!
www.RealDealRealty.com
Haines Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2012 at 1:01am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Now wouldn't that be something..I think grown men would get a little competitiveLOLLOL
Roberto Flores View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Flores Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2012 at 9:54am
Roberto Flores
Made to order cartoons, comics...!
http://www.robertoflores.com
http://www.cafepress.com/robertoflorescartoonist
http://www.cafepress.com/theoutliner
http://www.zazzle.com/flores67

FLYINGFISH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLYINGFISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2012 at 10:23am
Hi 

This goes in line with my 1/2 scale CJ, well more less.

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/1-2-scale-cj2a-project_topic26456.html

Just showed my son and he now wants to make one of these as well. Not 
something that is popular in South Africa.

Thanks for link to the patterns.

Marc & Jarred.
FLYINGFISH

"If in doubt, ask"
all4jpn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all4jpn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2012 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Roberto Flores Roberto Flores wrote:

More "woody" items. Enjoy the vid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuhwlwfXIqU&feature=share&list=PLAB83C731F36AFF9A

did he build the whole thing backwards or just of #1 and 4 mixed up when he turned it around?
46 cj/06 lj/ and mb/2a/38 hybrid project
Doug Timme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Timme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2012 at 3:07pm

That sounds like fun, or we could do valve cover races, except CJs do not have valve covers, so we would have to put wheels on heads and roll them down a hill.  Who gets to catch them at the bottom? Ouch
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2012 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by Doug Timme Doug Timme wrote:

That sounds like fun, or we could do valve cover races, except CJs do not have valve covers, so we would have to put wheels on heads and roll them down a hill.  Who gets to catch them at the bottom? Ouch

Gives new meaning to the supersonic heads.
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen
Dirtmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirtmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2012 at 6:38pm
I did one about 12 years ago with my son. We didnt have any patterns or anything... scratch built and the the next year I built a duck... as you can see, the duck is starting to fall apart from being in storage... and yes, both windshields fold down! Wink

Current: '48 CJ2A #188461, '97 Jeep TJ, 2010 JK Unlimited (wife's), and a '97 Jeep Cherokee
Sold: '71 CJ5, '61 Willys Wagon
WRMorrison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRMorrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov. 2012 at 6:48pm
Wow, those are really nice!  Shovel, axe and all!

-WRM
 Post Reply Post Reply