Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

transmission rebuild problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: transmission rebuild problem
    Posted: 16 Dec. 2012 at 2:55am
ok so i rebuilt the transmission one very very long night. Heres what i have been thinking about the cluster shaft in the bottom the needle bearings inside of it 2 things come to concern. i am not 100% positive that in the end the washers made it to flush on both ends with the shaft. i cant be sure if they are recessed a bit. the Transmission is still out and i wont put it back in untill i get home in a week. Should i tear it apart to check and make sure or is it not a big deal? #2 the shaft that rides in with the bearings that has the oil port on it does this need to face the oiler hole in the cluster shaft or can it just free rotate. as i think of it it should be fine but i have been wrong before and will be again. 
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2012 at 3:32am
I'm not sure that I understand the recessed part of your description. When you assemble the cluster shaft with the spacer, washers and needle bearings in in your supposed to make a dummy shaft that is the same length of the cluster shaft plus the thrust washers on each end. With the dummy shaft in the bore and the thrust washers on each end you slide the whole thing into the bottom of the case. When you have the input and output shafts assembled in the case then you pull the cluster shaft up and slide the real cluster shaft in the bore and the dummy shaft gets pushed out the front of the case. 

If you do that there is no way the thrust washers or needle bearings or their washers can get out of line.

There are no recesses for the thrust washers in the case or on the ends of the cluster shaft. You also need to measure the end clearance with a feeler gauge to be sure it is in specs. 
Life is only as good as you make it.
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2012 at 4:00am
yes i did that to your first paragraph. i am more worried about the clearance. here is the rebuild guide quote.
how do i know what is the acceptable amount of clearance allowed on the end of the shaft between the washers and the end of the shaft.
Note: The last tranny I built had 4 washers of clearance left after installing the cluster gear bearings and washers. If allowed to ride like this the bearings can migrate and twist in the cluster gear. I added these washers into the count for the bearings. I never put more than two washers together in the buildup. This meant that once I found out how many washers were needed, I had to take it all back apart again to group the washers into pairs. The only thing I can think of that would have caused this, is a difference in manufacturing lengths for the bearings. I don't have a micrometer so I wasn't able to check this out. The key here is to get the bearings to fit firmly but not tight on the ends.

46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2012 at 12:32am
So I turned it all by hand. In every gear I have no grinding or binding. Am I good? Or should I rip into this again and try once more.
46 2a
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2012 at 12:40am
To me it sounds like your ok. If the cluster shaft turned free with the thrust washers and needle bearing washers in place without the input and output shafts in place your probably ok. I checked that before I started putting the other shafts in place. It's about the only time you can measure the end play clearance of the cluster shaft.
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2012 at 12:46am
i had all the safts in and i would spin the input shaft like the engine would with it in different gears to see it spin the output shaft.
46 2a
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2012 at 1:17am
Sounds like it's just fine.
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2012 at 2:55am
thanks. hopefully ill get it in this week and drive my jeep before stuff gets to bad here.but ill have to see where dad is and what hes done since ive been away.

46 2a
 Post Reply Post Reply