Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

153 Chevy Custom Header and Intake Manifold's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
bigblock352 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigblock352 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 153 Chevy Custom Header and Intake Manifold's
    Posted: 26 Sep. 2013 at 10:56pm
I'd like to see some pics of that intake!
jeep4752 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep4752 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2013 at 10:46pm
These engines just love to breathe! My original 153 i had in this Jeep was an old race car engine, dirt track T. When i bought the engine i also got the now very old home made dual carb intake that it raced with. It's very basic, has two old Ford carbs on it, but it sure is cool looking! The intake ports are pretty much at a 45 degree angle to the head.
Flat fenders forever!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigblock352 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2013 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

I'm curious, those of you that are/have run this engine- what did you use for motor mounts? In the last photo, it appears to be a combo alternator/engine mount off the left front corner of the engine. Is this the stock Nova setup? Are the mail jeep mounts similar?

The 181 in my jeep came out of a boat so that setup wasn't going to work. I fabbed up some mounts that attach to the large cast bosses in the center of the block. There's not a lot of triangulation to my mounts and I hope it doesn't pose a future problem.

The carb in the photo looks like the progressive Weber that fuels my Datsun 510. Is the marine Holley the same?
The mount is separate. That is the stock motor mount setup for the Nova. The alternator bracket is an adjustable one I got from ebay, for a jeep. The stock engine had a generator.
The Carb in the picture is a Weber 32/36. I took it off. It was great around town and at low RPM but it couldn't push the car to 70mph. In 5th gear turning 2200rpm floored! Changed to the Holley and its like it should be. Only reason I am even thinking about a bigger carb is I feel I could get even more performance from the engine. Its a great driver as she sits.
I have looked at the 390 Holley. Also a custom modified Carter that's flowed down to 350.
jeep4752 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep4752 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2013 at 1:47am
I made my mounts from scratch.
Flat fenders forever!
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2013 at 1:25am
I'm curious, those of you that are/have run this engine- what did you use for motor mounts? In the last photo, it appears to be a combo alternator/engine mount off the left front corner of the engine. Is this the stock Nova setup? Are the mail jeep mounts similar?

The 181 in my jeep came out of a boat so that setup wasn't going to work. I fabbed up some mounts that attach to the large cast bosses in the center of the block. There's not a lot of triangulation to my mounts and I hope it doesn't pose a future problem.

The carb in the photo looks like the progressive Weber that fuels my Datsun 510. Is the marine Holley the same?
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2013 at 6:44pm
The Holley 390 cfm is a pretty good little four barrel....running one on my flathead v8.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigblock352 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep. 2013 at 3:25pm
Yes that is the Clifford intake and header. I did modify the collector a little to have it fit with my z-bar for the shift pedal. I haven't seen another one of these engines in anything in person. I kept it to be different as well. Everyone has a v8 in their Nova, plus this was the original engine for my car. Gets tons of looks. I have been thinking about putting in a 600cfm 4 barrel. It seems to die off at highway speeds, just feels like it has more to give but is choking off. I am running a marine 300cfm Holley right now. below 4000 rpms runs very nice.
jeep4752 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep4752 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2013 at 1:23am
Originally posted by bigblock352 bigblock352 wrote:

Are these the Clifford intake and header?
Flat fenders forever!
jeep4752 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep4752 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2013 at 1:20am
Originally posted by bigblock352 bigblock352 wrote:

I've got one of these engines in my Nova. Good bit of work done. 40 over flat top pistons custom ground cam. I like your intake. You can buy the intake and header from Clifford performance but they aren't cheap. It allows for a 4 barrel to be ran though..... Not that you would want to. I'm running a holly 350 and it runs very well with that.
Good looking build. Happy to see someone else giving the 153 some love.

I built mine to be different. No one else around here is running one of these engines that i know of on the street. When i was building mine the machine shop owner suggested a 4bbl carb for it actually but i felt it would be too much, so i used the 2bbl marine Rochester with a passenger car base plate, it worked well.
Flat fenders forever!
jeep4752 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep4752 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep. 2013 at 1:16am
Originally posted by big daddy doug big daddy doug wrote:

is there any chance that you would make one for some one if they pay you for it

Sorry i can't.
Flat fenders forever!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigblock352 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2013 at 3:56pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigblock352 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2013 at 3:54pm
I've got one of these engines in my Nova. Good bit of work done. 40 over flat top pistons custom ground cam. I like your intake. You can buy the intake and header from Clifford performance but they aren't cheap. It allows for a 4 barrel to be ran though..... Not that you would want to. I'm running a holly 350 and it runs very well with that.
Good looking build. Happy to see someone else giving the 153 some love.
big daddy doug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big daddy doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2013 at 8:12am
is there any chance that you would make one for some one if they pay you for it
Beeman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2013 at 3:05am
 Hey Bad cool,I had to solve the same problem for a 181 and here is  my solution.Removed water jacket from marine manifold,smoothly pluged top dump,cut off bottom dump from chevy diesel manifold,coped it out and welded w/cast 55 rods.2.5"out.Worked good,now in chevy SB C10
jeep4752 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep4752 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2013 at 12:01pm
Thank you for the compliments! Water doesn't need to run through the intake. The original 153 car engines in the Chevy II's never had water running through their manifolds. I don't have any actual mpg figures for my old engine but even with the 11:1 compression it did really well with gas mileage imo.
Flat fenders forever!
G4331 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G4331 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2013 at 3:13am
Hi. I have a 1996 Sonoma ext. cab that has been a project truck of 6 years. I also have a 3.0 Mercruiser in it, mated to a 700R4 tranny w/ hydraulic OD. I will post pics as soon as possible. I love the pics of your engine, my exhaust is a custom stainless job and my intake is a Clifford. While I am very pleased to have a no computers, low tech ride, I need to know something: Does water have to run thru your intake? I am told that this is a must. Is it and if so, why? What sort of milage did you get with this engine in your Jeep?
jeep4752 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep4752 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2013 at 1:15am
I have a front sump Chevy II oil pan that i aquired with the low mile 153 block but the brothers cut the bottom of the sump off, so to save time i used my mint OMC pan. The Chevy II pan would fit and will if theres a next time. The pics with the automatic were the early pics, i had to replace the 700R4 tranny with a standard because of the rough running 153.

A DJ5 front axle is a direct bolt in to these older Jeeps, just like a CJ5 front axle is. Easiest way to get bigger front brakes!
Flat fenders forever!
gunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2012 at 9:22pm
Keep the pictures coming!

A couple questions: one, on the oil pan; you put this in a 2wd, the original front sump pan wouldn't work? It hit the straight axle? Two, what tranny did you use? Looks like I saw the dipstick for an automatic...

Also, on that DJ5 straight axle, did the springs line up ok with the 2a spring mount points?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>