Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

153 Chevy Custom Header and Intake Manifold's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I got the Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2012 at 12:36am
 Nice job on the pipes.
47 CJ2A, 51 Willys PU,his and hers 99 XJ 5 speed 4x4
Willys Jeep,what the victorious US troops drove into Tokyo
jeep4752 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep4752 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2012 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by I got the Willys I got the Willys wrote:

Nice job on the pipes.
Thanks! I tried to make them look kinda like an oem setup as best i could. I do my engine swaps the same way, even with the 4.3 thats in it now, it looks like it belongs there.
Flat fenders forever!
gunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2012 at 5:36pm
4752:

How would you handle the differences between the 153 and 181? I mean, are they ported differently? Any other difference that would force you to fabricate the intake and exhaust differently? Would the pipes interchange?

Also, do you know of any other differences between the two engines- same motor mount locations, bellhousing pattern, etc that would matter in a swap?

eh...edit: just looked over the thread again and I see there are some differences in the head ports.

Second set of questions still holds- what differences are there in a swap with these engines?

Edited by gunner - 29 Dec. 2012 at 5:39pm
jeep4752 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep4752 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2012 at 5:57pm
From what i've learned about the 181 engines, the biggest difference with them is the head, the 153 manifolds will not cover the ports properly. The 181 is supposedly a better flowing head, different port design etc. I would just make a new intake and header from scratch to fit a 181 head.
By the looks of the outside of the 181, to me anyways, it looks like the mounting is all the same. The bellhousing is still a standard looking Chevy bolt pattern like the 153 had. I haven't had my hands on a 181 yet but it looks like frontal mounting is still the same. I've read online that Mercruiser sells the 181 as an upgrade to the 153 as a direct bolt in, so that says that it should be the same mounting on the front and sides to me.
The more i write about these engines the more i want a 181 now.Beer I just might have to go shopping!!
Flat fenders forever!
gunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2012 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by jeep4752 jeep4752 wrote:

From what i've learned about the 181 engines, the biggest difference with them is the head, the 153 manifolds will not cover the ports properly. The 181 is supposedly a better flowing head, different port design etc. I would just make a new intake and header from scratch to fit a 181 head.
By the looks of the outside of the 181, to me anyways, it looks like the mounting is all the same. The bellhousing is still a standard looking Chevy bolt pattern like the 153 had. I haven't had my hands on a 181 yet but it looks like frontal mounting is still the same. I've read online that Mercruiser sells the 181 as an upgrade to the 153 as a direct bolt in, so that says that it should be the same mounting on the front and sides to me.
The more i write about these engines the more i want a 181 now.Beer I just might have to go shopping!!

That's about what I figured regarding the differences.

And I know what you mean about going shopping; I live 5 minute walk from the Pacific and am thinking of heading down to the boatyard to see what I can learn about these engines. Unfortunately everything here has been used in salt water, but you never know when a good takeout may came along. With your write-up on making the manifolds, I feel confident enough to tackle it (or at least practice.... )

When you welded the manifold and header, did you use sheilding gas for your mig?
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2012 at 8:13pm
I have both the 153 and 181ci engines, with the 181ci (known in boat circles as a 3.0L or 140hp engine) installed in my 2A. Externally they are the same; bellhousing, motor mount locations, accesory bosses, etc. The 3.0L is of course larger internally with a larger bore and longer stroke. The cylinder head is the largest difference with the 3.0 having 8 ports vs. the 2.5's 5, plus the 3.0 has much larger valves. This is clear from the photo posted earlier in this thread showing my adapter alongside the manifold gaskets. I'm told the 3.0 shares a number of parts with Chevy V8s rather than the 6 cyl it is patterned after, mostly pistons and valves. I'm still researching an HEI distributor for the engine as the marine versions don't have vacuum advance capability, can anyone offer any knowledge here?
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
jeep4752 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep4752 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2012 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by gunner gunner wrote:

That's about what I figured regarding the differences.

And I know what you mean about going shopping; I live 5 minute walk from the Pacific and am thinking of heading down to the boatyard to see what I can learn about these engines. Unfortunately everything here has been used in salt water, but you never know when a good takeout may came along. With your write-up on making the manifolds, I feel confident enough to tackle it (or at least practice.... )

When you welded the manifold and header, did you use sheilding gas for your mig?
I used solid core mig wire and argo shield gas.
Flat fenders forever!
jeep4752 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep4752 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2012 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

I have both the 153 and 181ci engines, with the 181ci (known in boat circles as a 3.0L or 140hp engine) installed in my 2A. Externally they are the same; bellhousing, motor mount locations, accesory bosses, etc. The 3.0L is of course larger internally with a larger bore and longer stroke. The cylinder head is the largest difference with the 3.0 having 8 ports vs. the 2.5's 5, plus the 3.0 has much larger valves. This is clear from the photo posted earlier in this thread showing my adapter alongside the manifold gaskets. I'm told the 3.0 shares a number of parts with Chevy V8s rather than the 6 cyl it is patterned after, mostly pistons and valves. I'm still researching an HEI distributor for the engine as the marine versions don't have vacuum advance capability, can anyone offer any knowledge here?
For a distributor, an early '80's HEI out of a Citation, Celebrity etc should work i would think. Check out a Hyster forklift, we have one at work with one of these 4cyl engines and it has an HEI in it with vacuum advance. I found on eBay an ad a couple of weeks ago for a reman points type distributor for these engines, it was around $60 i think, i bought one for a spare. I like the points type units because they are so much smaller, the HEI unit looks huge on these engines.
Flat fenders forever!
jeep4752 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep4752 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2012 at 8:39pm

Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

For a distributor, an early '80's HEI out of a Citation, Celebrity etc should work i would think. I know the fwd 4cyl's aren't the same engine but i think their distributor will work, check for length etc first. Check out a Hyster forklift, we have one at work with one of these 4cyl engines and it has an HEI in it with vacuum advance. I found on eBay an ad a couple of weeks ago for a reman points type distributor for these engines, it was around $60 i think, i bought one for a spare. I like the points type units because they are so much smaller, the HEI unit looks huge on these engines.
Flat fenders forever!
jeep4752 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep4752 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2012 at 2:43am

My distributor arrived when i was away last Thursday, it is the real deal genuine 153 unit, it looks like it's brand new again! I'm very happy with it, all it needs is a cap and rotor and oh yeah, an engine to put it in!

Edited by jeep4752 - 31 Dec. 2012 at 3:07am
Flat fenders forever!
jeep4752 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep4752 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2012 at 2:56am
Here are more pics that i have of the 153's that i had in my '47.
This was the first 153 i put in the '47, this is the old race engine. Note the external oil line that runs from the top of the oil filter around to the side of the block. This line fed a custom made line inside the oil pan that fed the main bearings only. This engine had alot of weird mods done internally previously that still have me scratching my head as to why... I used an OMC oil pan, it saved me alot of clearance issues.
Installed view from passenger side of the first engine.
This is engine number 2, the low milage block with NOS Jahn's racing pistons installed. Little did i know these would result in 11:1 compression ratio after the head went on, ugh.
I modified this flex fuel emblem to tell the world that this wasn't your usual 4cyl.

Edited by jeep4752 - 31 Dec. 2012 at 3:08am
Flat fenders forever!
gunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2012 at 9:22pm
Keep the pictures coming!

A couple questions: one, on the oil pan; you put this in a 2wd, the original front sump pan wouldn't work? It hit the straight axle? Two, what tranny did you use? Looks like I saw the dipstick for an automatic...

Also, on that DJ5 straight axle, did the springs line up ok with the 2a spring mount points?
jeep4752 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep4752 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2013 at 1:15am
I have a front sump Chevy II oil pan that i aquired with the low mile 153 block but the brothers cut the bottom of the sump off, so to save time i used my mint OMC pan. The Chevy II pan would fit and will if theres a next time. The pics with the automatic were the early pics, i had to replace the 700R4 tranny with a standard because of the rough running 153.

A DJ5 front axle is a direct bolt in to these older Jeeps, just like a CJ5 front axle is. Easiest way to get bigger front brakes!
Flat fenders forever!
G4331 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G4331 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2013 at 3:13am
Hi. I have a 1996 Sonoma ext. cab that has been a project truck of 6 years. I also have a 3.0 Mercruiser in it, mated to a 700R4 tranny w/ hydraulic OD. I will post pics as soon as possible. I love the pics of your engine, my exhaust is a custom stainless job and my intake is a Clifford. While I am very pleased to have a no computers, low tech ride, I need to know something: Does water have to run thru your intake? I am told that this is a must. Is it and if so, why? What sort of milage did you get with this engine in your Jeep?
jeep4752 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep4752 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2013 at 12:01pm
Thank you for the compliments! Water doesn't need to run through the intake. The original 153 car engines in the Chevy II's never had water running through their manifolds. I don't have any actual mpg figures for my old engine but even with the 11:1 compression it did really well with gas mileage imo.
Flat fenders forever!
Beeman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2013 at 3:05am
 Hey Bad cool,I had to solve the same problem for a 181 and here is  my solution.Removed water jacket from marine manifold,smoothly pluged top dump,cut off bottom dump from chevy diesel manifold,coped it out and welded w/cast 55 rods.2.5"out.Worked good,now in chevy SB C10
big daddy doug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big daddy doug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2013 at 8:12am
is there any chance that you would make one for some one if they pay you for it
bigblock352 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigblock352 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2013 at 3:54pm
I've got one of these engines in my Nova. Good bit of work done. 40 over flat top pistons custom ground cam. I like your intake. You can buy the intake and header from Clifford performance but they aren't cheap. It allows for a 4 barrel to be ran though..... Not that you would want to. I'm running a holly 350 and it runs very well with that.
Good looking build. Happy to see someone else giving the 153 some love.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>