Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

153 Chevy Custom Header and Intake Manifold's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep4752 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 153 Chevy Custom Header and Intake Manifold's
    Posted: 26 Dec. 2012 at 4:30pm

Here by request is a thread about the intake and header i built at home for my Chevy 153 engine that was in my '47 CJ2A that is pictured in my avatar. I used my mock up engine, an OMC 153 as my jig to build them. The flanges were made from 1/4" cold rolled steel, i think it was 2 1/4" wide. I used a hole saw sized appropriately to make all the holes for the intake and exhaust. The intake started out as a piece of 2"or 2 1/4" exhaust tubing that i had bent into a 'U' shape at a muffler shop, then i cut it up to make it fit. The carb flange is just a piece of scrap flat steel plate i had laying around in the garage. The intake shown here was my first design, it worked ok, then i decided to build another intake later on that turned the carb 90 degrees from this shown position and it worked alot better. (i got this backwards in my reply on the thread titled '153 swap begins', sorry for the confusion, it's been a few years now) With the second design intake, the one side of the 2bbl carb fed the front two cylinders and the other side of the carb fed the back two cylinders. There was a common area under the carb so everything would 'balance'. It worked really well, the throttle response was night and day. As you can kind of see in the second picture the carb sits up a bit higher than normal for one of these engines so that acted like a ram effect, it was just as sensitive as fuel injection!

As for my header, it started life as a painted Hooker Hedder for 1963- 1981 Corvettes. I chose it because of the design, it was a long tube design, to have extra tubing just in case i changed my mind on the design later on. I took the sawzall and chop saw to it right away and soon wound up with a pile of pieces of tubing. Bolted the flange onto the head of my mock up engine and began the task of tacking all these pieces together. The collector was still a 3" that i positioned right in front of the stock CJ2A steering box as room is kinda tight underneath as we all know. I ran the front pipe down under the oil pan and down the passenger side. I have room on the passenger side as this Jeep is 2wd. Once everything was finished welded i sent to header out to get coated in a high temp coating.

The third picture is what the finished engine looked like. It's a early production 1962 Chevy II 153 that used to be a race car engine. It had alot of funky stuff done to it before i bought it. It had been bored out .040" already with an unknown camshaft. I wound up taking this engine out as it had a weird noise in it which we found, had a rebuild done, got a custom ground cam made for it with the same specs as a 327/350hp engine. Got this version running and oh baby was it ever wild running! I reffered to this engine as half a 327 because it basically was. This version didn't last long because the noise came back and upon tear down we found a crack in #4 cylinder and it literally 'ate' the camshaft. I found a bare block advertised quite aways north/west of me along with other parts for these engines. It turns out the seller and his brother bought a (at the time) very low mileage 1962 Chevy II with a 153 in it back in 1970 because they were gonna build a dragster with it. They also bought some speed aprts too, like a set of Jahn's Racing Pistons which were domed and a Chet Herbert Racing Camshaft, solid lifter with .640" of lift! This was going to be a really wild engine but they abandoned the project and it just sat until i found it. I bought everything the guy had and brought it all home in the back of my '97 TJ.

I tore the old engine all apart and transferred it over to the low miler block, had the domed pistons put in it but not this cam, the machine shop suggested a certain Comp Cam for it so i bought that for it. I reused my header and second design intake. Only problem now as that i was stuck with running minumum 94 octane gas in it because it wound up having slightly over 11:1 compression. I ran this engine for awhile, it's not easy finding 94 octane gas around here and it's expensive, so the descion was made to take this little screaming gas miser out and in went a bone stock 4.3L Chevy V6 2 winters ago.

One thing i found really cool/ neat about my last 153 was how it idled, you could almost hear each cylinder fire when it was idling, it sounded like a V8 going down the road, nothing like a wimpy rice burner 4 banger does. Like they say, theres not replacement for displacement! Just before i pulled this engine out i went into a gas station to fill it up. It was a full service one and the attendant was likely in his late '50's, he heard this thing idling away as i was waiting my turn to get to the pumps. I finally get up to the pumps and shut it off, then he asks me if the Jeep has a 427 in it! I said umm, no, it has a 4 cylinder in it i reply. He didn't believe me, so after i filled up the tank i openned the hood to show him, he couldn't believe a 4 cylinder could run that wild and sound like a big block! The force of the exhaust coming out of the tailpipe was wicked too, it would actually push your leg away.

I sold this engine to help finance my 4.3 swap, but i am thinking about getting another one, likely a 181 this time, besides, it's not like i can't build a header and intake for it right??

Edited by jeep4752 - 26 Dec. 2012 at 4:32pm
Flat fenders forever!
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2012 at 5:04pm
That is a beautiful set of manifolds you made there.. Almost a shame to cover it up with a hood.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

jeep4752 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep4752 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2012 at 5:15pm
Thank you F Bill!
Flat fenders forever!
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2012 at 5:21pm
Very nice looking tube work! Clap

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
gunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2012 at 6:53pm
Thanks for starting the thread!

There are two kinds of innovation we find in jeeps- bubba is one of them. This represents the other kind and you did a beautiful job of it. It's sure nice to know that it's possible to use this engine (or the 181) with custom made manifolds. So much of the rest of the engine is basically Chevy straight 6 and V-8 parts and therefore available, but the manifolds are the difficult part; you've shown that this can be dealt with.

A few questions:

1. how thick was the tubing you used for the intake manifold? You say it was exhaust tubing.

2. How long did you use/test it? Did you develop any cracks or did any other weaknesses show up?

3. how loud was it? Could the noise be tamed?

It's also interesting to see your description of how the carburetion performed with that 2 barrel once you got it oriented to your satisfaction. The 153 in stock form did about about 90 HP. OK, here's another question then: if 90 HP is the stock power output, what do you think your custom manifold set up produced? That is, not taking into account any internal engine changes like cams, compression, etc. 

Edited by gunner - 26 Dec. 2012 at 6:55pm
jeep4752 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep4752 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2012 at 8:17pm
Thank you for the compliments, i am humbled. Bubba is no friend of mine, thats for sure. True, my '47 is far from stock, it looks stock to the unintiated, my 153 fooled alot of people during the time it was in the Jeep.

The making of the header and intake came out of necessity, there used to be lots of speed parts for these engines in the '60's but they seem to be far and few in between now, atleast in my region. Stock parts aren't exactly easy to find also as we know.

To answer your questions: i have no idea what gauge of exhaust tubing was used, it was the thicker stuff that they can put into a pipe bender and be able to bend it without it crushing.
As for actual use, i used the last engine combo for atleast a couple of regular cruising seasons, namely spring, summer and fall. No cracks showed up, i did have an exhaust leak at the back of the header where it bolts onto the head, in hindsight i should have used 3/8" steel for the flange instead because i think my flange might have developed a bit of a warp at the last tube for some reason.
As for noise, it wasn't all that bad, i had a soft top on the Jeep at the time and even with the doors on and all windows closed it wasn't all that bad, definately livable. It depends too on what kind of muffler you use, i have an unknown one on the Jeep, i found it at a swap meet, it was brand new, no box with it of course, but it was the exact dimensions i needed so i bought it...for $5! It's a great little muffler, it's nothing fancy, looks like an oem Jeep one and it sounds great. Even with the bone stock 4.3 in the Jeep now it still gives off a nice little deep rumble. I should add that the Jeep has always used a 2 1/4" exhaust system front to back too.
I can't really say specifically how much power the intake and header added, one thing about inline engines, they like to breathe. I tried to make the header and intake in a way that would compliment what was done internally, so if i was to make these parts for a totally stock 153, i might want to scale down the sizing of tubes to closer of the stock units sizes. Too big of header tubes will result in less back pressure and you'll lose power, thats a given in most engines, they need the back pressure to run properly. You could make the header tubes the 1 5/8" that mine were and just make the exhaust restrictive to compensate also for a stock engine.

I think my last engine would have easily been in the 200hp area, it would pull really good, my Jeep only has 3:07 gearsM420 truck 4 speed with a 29" tall tire and that engine had no problem lighting up the tires, oh yeah, with posi-track too!
Flat fenders forever!
gunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2012 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by jeep4752 jeep4752 wrote:

Thank you for the compliments, i am humbled. Bubba is no friend of mine, thats for sure. True, my '47 is far from stock, it looks stock to the unintiated, my 153 fooled alot of people during the time it was in the Jeep.

The making of the header and intake came out of necessity, there used to be lots of speed parts for these engines in the '60's but they seem to be far and few in between now, atleast in my region. Stock parts aren't exactly easy to find also as we know.

To answer your questions: i have no idea what gauge of exhaust tubing was used, it was the thicker stuff that they can put into a pipe bender and be able to bend it without it crushing.
As for actual use, i used the last engine combo for atleast a couple of regular cruising seasons, namely spring, summer and fall. No cracks showed up, i did have an exhaust leak at the back of the header where it bolts onto the head, in hindsight i should have used 3/8" steel for the flange instead because i think my flange might have developed a bit of a warp at the last tube for some reason.
As for noise, it wasn't all that bad, i had a soft top on the Jeep at the time and even with the doors on and all windows closed it wasn't all that bad, definately livable. It depends too on what kind of muffler you use, i have an unknown one on the Jeep, i found it at a swap meet, it was brand new, no box with it of course, but it was the exact dimensions i needed so i bought it...for $5! It's a great little muffler, it's nothing fancy, looks like an oem Jeep one and it sounds great. Even with the bone stock 4.3 in the Jeep now it still gives off a nice little deep rumble. I should add that the Jeep has always used a 2 1/4" exhaust system front to back too.
I can't really say specifically how much power the intake and header added, one thing about inline engines, they like to breathe. I tried to make the header and intake in a way that would compliment what was done internally, so if i was to make these parts for a totally stock 153, i might want to scale down the sizing of tubes to closer of the stock units sizes. Too big of header tubes will result in less back pressure and you'll lose power, thats a given in most engines, they need the back pressure to run properly. You could make the header tubes the 1 5/8" that mine were and just make the exhaust restrictive to compensate also for a stock engine.

I think my last engine would have easily been in the 200hp area, it would pull really good, my Jeep only has 3:07 gearsM420 truck 4 speed with a 29" tall tire and that engine had no problem lighting up the tires, oh yeah, with posi-track too!

If you used 1 5/8" header pipe, then it looks like, from the pics, that the intake pipe was around 2" OD. Considering each end of the intake manifold supplies 2 cylinders, that seems about right. And the larger header pipe might be just fine if you were able to put on a more restrictive (ie quieter) muffler to compensate. Might work out pretty well.

My experience in these things is limited, but I agree on the 3/8" flange being a good idea and 7/16" would be perhaps better. My local scrap yard has 7/16 in abundance.

As far as horsepower goes, if I had one of these in a jeep, 110-120 HP would be plenty, I'd think. With headers, a 2 barrel,  some porting and other work on the head and maybe an electric fan, I'd think that would be very do-able.

So it was in a 2wd 2A? What front axle did you use? Why a truck 4 speed? (I know, off on a tangent...)

Edited by gunner - 26 Dec. 2012 at 10:12pm
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2012 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by gunner gunner wrote:

So it was in a 2wd 2A? What front axle did you use? Why a truck 4 speed? (I know, off on a tangent...)

It's a DJ....Dispatcher Jeep.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

gunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec. 2012 at 11:56pm
A DJ, got it. I studied up on them when I thought I had a shot at one. Those things are 1819 lbs unladen. I imagine 200+HP would make them do some very un-jeep like things.
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2012 at 12:51am
Thanks for sharing your craftsmanship with us. That turned out a lot better than the image I had in my head before viewing the photos. I'm including a photo of the stock 153 car manifolds for reference should anyone want to see what they look like. In comparison, theres not a lot of performance to them. The plate is necessary to cover the 181's ports.

47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
jeep4752 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep4752 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2012 at 2:20am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

It's a DJ....Dispatcher Jeep.

Sorry rocnroll, it is a genuine CJ2A, she used to be a 4x4 when i bought it. I used a 1979 DJ5 front axle from a postal Jeep and kept the 11" drum brakes. I already had the axle and i would never off road it anyways.
Flat fenders forever!
jeep4752 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep4752 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2012 at 2:42am

A 3/8" flange should be plenty. I only used 1/4" because i had it anyways and it's easier to work with, especially when drilling it with holesaws. Most good aftermarket headers use a 3/8" flange anyways.

When i set out to build this Jeep in the first place, the plan was to make it a fuel miser, use a 153 with a 700R4 and a 3:07 rear. Well the 153 i had in it to begin with was too wild, it didn't like the automatic, so i needed a stick. I researched and felt the 'granny' 4 speed would fit my wants, especially the short length so i could have a longer driveshaft, and besides the first tranny i got was only $75.

Thanks for jogging my memory, i did have some head work done on the 153 also, the machine shop polished the bowls and did some port work ad stuffed the biggest valves possible in it, both exhaust and intake. I don't recall the valve sizes, but i do remember the guy saying they used one or the other out of a 305.

otto: very nice adaptor!

One big problem it seems with the stock 153 exhaust manifold is cracking. My father owns an all original 1962 153 that he bought for $25 back in the early '70's and it is very low mileage. The manifold on it cracked on number one cylinder, a chunk of it fell off. Luckily when i bought my ex race engine it came with a stock manifold, so now it's on his engine.

I'll try to get a picture of the wild home made ram intake the previous owner/builder of my old race engine made, it had dual carbs on it back in it's hey day.
Flat fenders forever!
gunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2012 at 4:16am
Jeep4752, did you find any limitation on the set up becasue you did not have any manifold heat riser or hot water plumbed through the intake?

As far as transmissions go, did you look into a 5speed with OD? I know they are pretty long, but I wouldn't think the driveshaft would have too bad of an angle- it is a straight shot back to a centered Dana 44 (or did you use the offset diff?). I am not too keen on an auto as they drain a little too much power for my tastes and even built up, this is still a 4 banger. A powerglide in such a lightweight vehicle would be interesting as they draw less than 50% of the power a 3sp auto does (IIRC). I have had several Novas, which started my interest in these 153s. 2 of the 3 had powerglides and they were the perfect tranny, I thought, for a vehicle so light as they were. A 2wd jeep would be in that lightweight group as well.

Keep the pics coming!  
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2012 at 6:13am
Originally posted by jeep4752 jeep4752 wrote:

Sorry rocnroll, it is a genuine CJ2A, she used to be a 4x4 when i bought it. I used a 1979 DJ5 front axle from a postal Jeep and kept the 11" drum brakes.

I knew that from one of your introductory posts but was referring to the axle you used. It does read differently than I had in my head when I wrote that though.

Sorry for the misleading post, should have just let you answer anyway.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

jeep4752 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep4752 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2012 at 8:26pm
No worries rocnroll, it's all good!Thumbs Up
Flat fenders forever!
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2012 at 8:32pm
Did you use the Postal rear axle, and if so what ratio?
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

jeep4752 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep4752 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2012 at 8:57pm

Jeep4752, did you find any limitation on the set up becasue you did not have any manifold heat riser or hot water plumbed through the intake?

As far as transmissions go, did you look into a 5speed with OD? I know they are pretty long, but I wouldn't think the driveshaft would have too bad of an angle- it is a straight shot back to a centered Dana 44 (or did you use the offset diff?). I am not too keen on an auto as they drain a little too much power for my tastes and even built up, this is still a 4 banger. A powerglide in such a lightweight vehicle would be interesting as they draw less than 50% of the power a 3sp auto does (IIRC). I have had several Novas, which started my interest in these 153s. 2 of the 3 had powerglides and they were the perfect tranny, I thought, for a vehicle so light as they were. A 2wd jeep would be in that lightweight group as well.

Keep the pics coming!  
No limitations at all as far as having no heat riser, when i made the intake(s), i purposely made them close to the header so they could warm up the base of the carb better in the cooler temperatures because i do drive this Jeep until the salt gets put on the road in the late fall/ early winter.

As for tranny's, well, as mentioned i wanted an automatic in this thing, but because the engine was so wild, it didn't like an automatic behind it, i even bought a stall convertor for it and it still didn't like it. My reasoning for the SM420 tranny was cost/availability. Because i live in the rust belt, alot of the vehicles(that had 5-speeds), as few as there were around here to begin with, are pretty much gone now due to rust, so something like a 5-speed is very hard to find, let alone one that is any good. I researched different types of standard tranny's and found the SM420 gave me almost what i wanted. It brought the 153 to life thats for sure! I wish i could have put a car 4-speed in it like a Muncie or Saginaw, but the shifter would have come up through the gas tank, or too close to it to be of any use. A huge advantage to the SM420 is that the shifter comes pretty close to coming up through the tranny tunnel like a stock 3-speed did in these Jeeps. My dad has an SM420 in his tractor behind his low miler 153, so that also inspired me because i got measurements off of it to simplify my build too. One short coming of using this tranny with the 153 is the steep ratio difference between 2nd and 3rd, my 153 wasn't too keen on it, i had to have the right speed going on or it would kick up a fuss big time. I learned to live with it after awhile, but at times it was a pain.

I use a centred diff AMC 20 rear end in this Jeep, it's out of a '78 CJ5.

I wanted to use the shortest tranny i could so i could have the longest driveshaft possible. I had a big fear of vibrations in this thing and so far so good.

When i did my 4.3 swap 2 years ago, it never dawned on me that i could put an automatic back in this thing. I found another SM420 from the same guy that had fewer miles on it and it runs alot better than the first one ever did for me. When the 4.3 went in with the SM420, it was like a totally different Jeep! The 4.3 is a perfect match imo to this tranny.

But wait, theres more! One advantage to having the SM420 in this Jeep is that i can run a PTO too. I did the PTO addition when i put the 4.3 in it. I now have a Jeep that gets well over 20mpg(i never actually figured it out yet), is modified so it can do 60/70mph no problem and run a PTO if i so choose, complete with drum pulley too!

I am very curious to find out how a 181ci 4 banger will behave in front of an SM420, hmm...I think it would be ok given the higher torque numbers.

I will try to add more pics when i get back home.
Flat fenders forever!
jeep4752 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeep4752 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2012 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by F Bill F Bill wrote:

Did you use the Postal rear axle, and if so what ratio?
I used a 1978 AMC 20 rear axle with 3:07 gears and posi. It has a centred diff and i did the axle shaft upgrade too to the one piece units.
Flat fenders forever!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>