Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Timing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Timing
    Posted: 01 Jan. 2013 at 1:10am
I installed a later production timing cover with the timing marks stamped on it.I also have the later pulley with the v notch on it.When I time it to 5 degrees from the cover mark,the IGN mark on the flywheel is not visable,the TC is.Which one should I go by?Thanks for any help.Confused
willys jeep
garage gnome View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garage gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2013 at 1:15am
Do you know if the flywheel has ever been off the engine? I don't remember if the bolt holes are idiot-proof as to their alignment to make certain the marks are line up. With 2A type engines, I time it by ear. 
Nate
1953 3A, 1949 3A, 1947 2A, 1918 IHC Titan 10-20, 1905 IHC Famous, other hit n misses
autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2013 at 1:23am
When I put the flywheel back on after an engine machine shop rebuild,I know I lined it up correctly.It is off by very little.I can't figure out why.
willys jeep
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2013 at 3:31pm
I would go by the flywheel marks. Perhaps the pulley and timing cover are not "synchronized". You may need to set the timing statically and then re-notch the pulley. 
BOULDER 48 2A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2013 at 4:38pm
It's not easy to get a direct line of sight on either one while pointing a timing light, especially the marks on the flywheel/block plate. It wouldn't take much "error of angle" to be off by a few degrees on either one. Have you compared them with the engine stopped? On the old Chevy's the outer ring on the balancer could slip, but I don't think that's possible with the 134's pulley. I'm with TERRY, I'd put my faith in the flywheel marks. Or, I'd get out the degree wheel and make a piston stop, and find out. What I probably would do, is drive it set both ways and see if there's a difference I could feel, hear, or see in engine temp, MPG, etc.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2013 at 6:50pm
Thanks gents for your suggestions.I will try it both ways to see which way it runs the best.Happy New Year to you all.Smile
willys jeep
 Post Reply Post Reply