Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1946 Column Shift with Indents

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffelpud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1946 Column Shift with Indents
    Posted: 03 Jan. 2013 at 4:38pm
I picked this up in 2008 and have been making glacial but steady progress.  So far the trannie and t-case have been rebuilt by the guy up in Oregon that has a good rep for rebuilding them (name?), The engine is in rebuild, I've cut out bad sheet metal and welded in the new, I've blasted and painted the wheels and frame and had NDT's mounted.

harvey45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harvey45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2013 at 4:46pm
Nice looking Texas Jeep
Smile
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2013 at 4:48pm
Nice jeep.. You must be a Texan? Gig 'em aggies!
Other than the color that is a sweet survivor. Especially like your square windshield washers. Is it an early , early 46?

Lets see some progress shots too.. We love pictures here.almost as much as we love column shifter jeeps!
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2013 at 5:00pm
Hi Duff,

That looks like a nice 2A.  
Originally posted by F Bill F Bill wrote:

.... Especially like your square windshield washers. Is it an early , early 46?...
Yep it also has a D41 rear axle , so it is early, early, but not early, early, early.

Love to hear the details and see more pics.  What's the serial number?  motor number?
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
duffelpud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffelpud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2013 at 8:51pm
I found it on an airport in Kansas where it was being used as a tug.  Under the orange was another coat of orange, baby blue, and then a thin layer of primer over the original harvest tan.  Tailgate number matches the ACM body number and frame tag matches the dash.  The sn is 17968.  Engine also 'smells' original.

duffelpud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffelpud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2013 at 9:00pm
And, yes, I'm a Texan - originally from Ovilla, but lived in Aggieland since '83 (A&M '87) except for a brief tour of duty in Dallas from '89-'91.  

This is my 5th Jeep - I've also owned & restored & sent along: '46 CJ-2A VEC #28506, '48 CJ-2A #166284, '69 CJ-5 Oddfire V6 #8305C17 350848 & a '71 Commando Oddfire V6.

duffelpud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffelpud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2013 at 3:33pm
It was a busy week for the Willys - after getting the engine back from the rebuilder, I installed it on the frame and mated the transmission and transfer case to it.  I also built a rotisserie for the sandblasted tub and started the final welding and grinding prior to priming and painting.

My backyard shed - the 'Willys Service Center'.

The Trannie and T-case have been sitting for a few years and collecting dust after getting rebuilt.

Rotisserie built from the remains of an old backyard fort and some left-over conduit.
WRMorrison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRMorrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2013 at 3:49pm
VERY nice looking project, and that "service center" is awesome!! Thumbs Up

-WRM
If you're a SolidWorks user, here's a link to my publicly available models: My Models (click on "projects")
duffelpud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffelpud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2015 at 8:06pm
Well, we've moved across the border from Bryan to College Station, so I no longer have the Willys Service Center, but I do have the garage all to myself.  The Early '46 is coming along and ready to paint now - just waiting on a long enough weather window.  In the mean time, I've test fitted the body back together and, of course, taken the occasional drive around the neighborhood, not to mention using it for other tasks.

Edited by duffelpud - 03 May 2016 at 4:31pm
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2015 at 2:49am
Originally posted by duffelpud duffelpud wrote:

so I no longer have the Willys Service Center, but I do have the garage all to myself. 

Bummer, that was cool looking but having a garage all to yourself Big smile

duffelpud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffelpud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2015 at 5:00pm
Here are a few more pre-restoration photos...

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-elDVTdEJkbk/VsNUSv-tIeI/AAAAAAAAVlk/EvkW9uSN3_0mHL0PqSB7qDo3sjo0_xUZwCCo/s640/4e18_3.jpg[/img

Edited by duffelpud - 03 May 2016 at 4:35pm
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2015 at 1:26am
Its a time warp, I wish I had something that good to start with.

Those square washers are so distinctive, I must think of a way of changing the round ones on my repro body without wrecking too much of the new paint that was put on before I realized the round ones were wrong for a VEC...

Keep up the great work.

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
Jerry45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2015 at 2:46am
Beautiful job! can't wait to see it all done!
Jerry
1945 CJ-2A #11802
1950? Szekley Navy APU Jeep
Bantum BTC-3 Trailer

"They can have my Jeep when they pry it from my cold, dead hands."
F.T.S. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F.T.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2015 at 8:34pm
dukkelpud

Could you send me the size of the rotisserie that you built. I am getting ready to do my rotted body now.

Thank You in advance

F.T.S.
F.T. Stewart
duffelpud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffelpud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2015 at 2:57pm
You bet!  I've actually built a new one at our new house - I'll take photos and measurements and post them.

duffelpud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffelpud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2015 at 4:31pm
Here are some photos for reference...

Edited by duffelpud - 03 May 2016 at 4:37pm
duffelpud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffelpud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2015 at 4:34pm
I finished painting the tub and set it on the frame the day before yesterday.  Here are some photos from this morning...

Edited by duffelpud - 03 May 2016 at 4:39pm
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2015 at 2:20am
duffelpud I am about to put a couple tubs on my rotisserie. Its a larger more substantial unit them yours (it was made for a 66 Malibu) What really interests me is your center of gravity based on the attachment points you chose.
How did it come out? Were you able to spin the tub easily? Was there a heave side and a light side?
When I put my chevelle on mine I managed to get the balance so close that you could actually spin the car through a couple rotations almost like a carnival wheel.
I'd like to come close to that with the Willys I figure if yours worked well attached where its at I would try to duplicate that.
Thanks 
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>