Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CJ2A Timing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Britboyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CJ2A Timing
    Posted: 30 Jan. 2013 at 5:33pm
hi, i'm new to the forum and have some timing questions.
i have a CJ2a which i dont know when it last ran. i set number one piston at TDC when the head was off. but forgot to check the valves were closed. when i look at the flywheel i can see the ign mark. when i look at the crankshaft pulley i can see a notch on the inboard pulley at about 5 deg BTDC. but when i look at my rotor arm its point to 12 o'clock not 5 o'clock. Points are just opening. so i wired the distributer from there anti clockwise. question: can i be sure i'm on the compression stroke or do i need confirm that? or do i pull the distributor and rotate 180 deg? and then re-wire the spark plugs?
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2013 at 5:40pm
You can just move the plugs to the correct hole for when that one is on compression. I had to for my f head.
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2013 at 5:41pm
Go to the tech Faq section and read Sean's Geico timing guide. Simplest way to do it.

If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Britboyo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Britboyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2013 at 6:01pm
thanks.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan. 2013 at 6:49pm
With #'s 1&4 at TDC, you can tell which one has both valves closed by putting a piece of hose that fits snug into the spark plug hole and blowing in it. If the valves are open, the air will leave thru both valves. You might even hear it. If they're closed pressure will build in the chamber.    BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
JeepRoger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2013 at 3:08am
Just as a safety measure, I wanted to point out that you can't just pull the distributor and rotate the shaft 180° - it only goes in one way unless you re-orient the oil pump gear. So best to check out other recommendations first.  R
Roger in California
'46 CJ2A 38503
'47 CJ2A 142084
'46 T3C Bantam trailer
 Post Reply Post Reply